PDA

View Full Version : Name that Sound....

hairylegs
12-08-2018, 02:17 PM
Hey team...this is my Renovo John Day on a trainer. I've had creaking coming from what seems to be the bottom bracket for awhile. Had Velofix take a look and they said they got it out but NOPE! I've done a cursory inspection myself, tightened the chainring bolts and crank. It's not quite a "wood sound" and feel like it would have fractured by now if it were a frame integrity thing. Your thoughts?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/clv7qbsytnuyjtd/bike%20noise.m4a?dl=0

93KgBike
12-08-2018, 03:14 PM
The bike shop thought they had 'nailed' it... Wood changes shape in a given relative humidity, and with barometric pressure. Maybe try moving the trainer?

hairylegs
12-08-2018, 03:15 PM
Oh I'm a sucker for wood jokes! Just be sure not to go against the grain...

Yeah, I should clarify this. I hear this noise a lot - especially climbing on the road or trail.

Nothing to worry about you think? :)

Joxster
12-09-2018, 02:33 AM
Change your pedals for another set and see if the noise is still there

CiclistiCliff
12-09-2018, 03:25 AM
Bikes aren’t totally happy when they’re cranked down into trainers. There’s a lot of twisting going on at the dropouts.....

charliedid
12-09-2018, 08:42 AM
Try turning down the volume....or off.

Funny

bart998
12-09-2018, 09:26 AM
BB noises are tough. Could be pedals, bb, crank, or shoes/cleats. Often just process of elimination, since everything is moving and only works under pressure you can't use a stethoscope to narrow it down. If you can feel the tic in your feet it's usually the bb... and a bigger problem. Try different pedals first.

oldpotatoe
12-09-2018, 10:18 AM
Hey team...this is my Renovo John Day on a trainer. I've had creaking coming from what seems to be the bottom bracket for awhile. Had Velofix take a look and they said they got it out but NOPE! I've done a cursory inspection myself, tightened the chainring bolts and crank. It's not quite a "wood sound" and feel like it would have fractured by now if it were a frame integrity thing. Your thoughts?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/clv7qbsytnuyjtd/bike%20noise.m4a?dl=0

Ride w/o cycling shoes(probably not)
Swap pedals
Swap rear wheel

IF it's still there, BB..does it do the same thing outside?

AngryScientist
12-09-2018, 10:21 AM
is it a wheel-on or wheel-off trainer?

my money is on cranking down the QR tighter...

cmbicycles
12-09-2018, 11:17 AM
Does it change when standing vs. sitting?

Termites? ;)

93KgBike
12-09-2018, 05:14 PM
Ride w/o cycling shoes(probably not)
Swap pedals
Swap rear wheel

IF it's still there, BB..does it do the same thing outside?

I'd just add:
looosen and retighten stem bolts.
same for headset
and saddle
and QR's

If none of that works, maybe take it to a cabinet maker...

alancw3
12-10-2018, 06:10 AM
the bottom bracket is the most beligned culprit of nose. like others have said check cleats, pedals, seat post and even skewers before blaming the bb! in my experience it has always been something else even though i could have sworn it was the bb. i have learned over the years.

hairylegs
12-10-2018, 11:04 AM
Thanks guys! To be clear, it happens on the road, too - mostly when climbing I think or pedaling harder on the flats. Yesterday I wasn't sure if there was a link to the rear brake...

Just hoping my wood frame doesn't splinter!! :)

hairylegs
12-13-2018, 07:07 PM
I think I got it! The rear dropouts where the metal connected to metal were slightly loose .... now if I could track down these other sounds that are less prominent LOL

Thanks always!