PDA

View Full Version : Geometry Question

grateful
12-07-2018, 11:53 AM
I am going to replace my Reynolds Ouzo Pro with an Enve 2.0. The Ouzo haz a 40mm rake and an axle to crown measurement of 375. The Enve has an axle to crown of 367. What offset should I be considering to mimic the feel of the bike with the Ouzo?

Brad

prototoast
12-07-2018, 12:19 PM
I am going to replace my Reynolds Ouzo Pro with an Enve 2.0. The Ouzo haz a 40mm rake and an axle to crown measurement of 375. The Enve has an axle to crown of 367. What offset should I be considering to mimic the feel of the bike with the Ouzo?

Brad

You can't. A shorter fork will make the head angle steeper, which would require a fork with a lower rake to compensate. Enve doesn't make a fork with less than a 40 rake. Per the sheldon brown link below, you will make the head angle approximately 0.5 degrees steeper going from a 375 to a 367. If your old head angle was a 73.5 (fairly common with a 40mm rake fork), your trail was 59mm with 25mm tires. If you go to a 74 head angle, your new trail will be 56mm. It will steer a little bit quicker, but won't be outside the normal range of bikes out there. A Specialized Tarmac or Cannondale Supersix both have about that trail in most sizes.

If you wanted to keep the trail the same, you'd need a 37mm rake fork.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/forklengths.htm

tuscanyswe
12-07-2018, 12:37 PM
I like steap headangles but if you are riding a king hs? You can get a taller crown race to make the difference in axle to crown length minimal.

Im sure there is something similar for other brands out there, they will obviously have its drawbacks, looks beeing the most obvious.

https://www.bike24.com/p237724.html

Jad
12-07-2018, 03:55 PM
If you lower your front end with a lower fork, I think the seat angle steepens too, effectively making your TT a wee bit longer; you push your saddle back just a bit to stay with your regular setback.

My understanding is that if the SA steepens .5 degree, I think that's like 4-5mm change in setback?