PDA

View Full Version : OT: DOS in a 64bit world

vqdriver
12-06-2018, 05:16 PM
this one is waaaay ot, but i'm going in circles with google searches.
i have a tech problem at work and need some concise answers. we use a proprietary dos app that we can't get away from for the foreseeable future. issue, of course, is hardware as 32 bit i essentially gone. i'm exploring the option of using some dos emulator a la vdos, freedos, dosbox, etc instead of limping along with 32 bit machines.

so here are my questions:

-are there any appreciable differences between the different emulators? vdos says dosbox will slowly torpedo my db. true? any real pros/cons to any? paying out of pocket for a product with a real company behind it (vs shareware) is preferable.
-usability. is it possible to create a single shortcut on the win10 desktop to both launch the emulator then the dos executable? this would also allow me to simply run this at startup. needs to be somewhat idiot proof.
-is there any overhead to this? i understand that dos apps themselves don't use too much resources, but how about the emulators?
-i assume that as long as the network resource is mapped to a drive letter, i can access it via network. in other words, the emulator will have access to the 'normal' windows 10 drives and network?

environment is a standalone server with client computers connected to a shared folder mapped to a drive letter with both the executable and database on the server. old school network setup but it's been bombproof for decades.

any help is greatly appreciated.

and yes. we will eventually move to new software but that's taking quite some time to develop

Bostic
12-06-2018, 05:37 PM
Can you virtualize it in VMware Workstation on a modern 64 bit system then run a 32 bit VM? Don't NAT the network on the VM so it gets an IP on the same subnet as the host.

VirtualBox is free but having to support it over the years, you don't get what you don't pay for.

Mikej
12-06-2018, 05:53 PM
We have somewhat of s similar problem. We use old windows xp laptop computers against the IT department of course-