PDA

View Full Version : Ride Report: My new, "Slicker" commute

Bud
11-16-2006, 10:36 AM
So I've had two days commuting now on my built up Slicker (see photo section). The bike is pretty fun. It doesn't accelerate particularly quickly, but it is fun to ride. It handles just fine and is plenty responsive. It seems to be set up appropriately for my needs. If anything I have too much of a gear range, but I'm sure I'll use it sooner or later.

It rides fine on the hard surfaces (certainly not as fast as my Fierte, but again: different purposes) and does well on packed gravel trails with some rocks. I find it pretty easy to hop little washouts or bridge edges. In short, it's great for these trails.

Below are some pictures from this morning's commute. I've been meaning to do a "where I live" thread anyway, so here it is (at least in part). My "new" commute is longer and more leisurely. It is very enjoyable and peaceful. Just me and a few cows on part of it. The first few pics are on the S Boulder Creek Trail. My new route brings me in through S Boulder and past the best place to get a pint :beer: . Of course I had to take a pic of the bike and the Flatirons, too.

saab2000
11-16-2006, 10:39 AM
How do you deal with all the traffic? Looks nice.

PS - Good taste on the brake levers.

72gmc
11-16-2006, 11:31 AM
Now I'm jealous. You're dodging cow pies, I'm dodging minivans. Those 80s colors look great out in the wild.

Serotta PETE
11-16-2006, 04:11 PM
A mid 80s frame ...looks like your is 59 or larger and that was columbus SP tubing.

SPECS

head angle 71
Seat angle 73 degrees
Top Tube 58cm probably
Chainstay 430
Rake 57
Drop 70

Nice bike....

PETE

Bud
11-16-2006, 06:33 PM
Now I'm jealous. You're dodging cow pies, I'm dodging minivans. Those 80s colors look great out in the wild.

I still have to dodge some traffic, but out here it's Subarus, SUV's and Jeeps more often than minivans. This cow pie action is new, thanks to the new ride.

Thanks again for the info, Pete. It's cool to know that both of my Serottas are made of Columbus tubes.

I think this bike and finding new mixed-surface routes will be good for my riding and will cause me to take more pictures, too. That's always something I intend to do, but often don't when I'm on the road. And riding that gravel in a fairly brutal crosswind on the way home made me realize that this will certainly make me a better bike handler as well. :)

Serotta PETE
11-16-2006, 06:53 PM
You are welcome,,,THe makeup of traffice SUVs, Jeeps, and SUbarus sounds like RALEIGH...

PETE

I still have to dodge some traffic, but out here it's Subarus, SUV's and Jeeps more often than minivans. This cow pie action is new, thanks to the new ride.

Thanks again for the info, Pete. It's cool to know that both of my Serottas are made of Columbus tubes.

I think this bike and finding new mixed-surface routes will be good for my riding and will cause me to take more pictures, too. That's always something I intend to do, but often don't when I'm on the road. And riding that gravel in a fairly brutal crosswind on the way home made me realize that this will certainly make me a better bike handler as well. :)