PDA

View Full Version : Lance Interview on NBC

Hawker
12-06-2018, 11:05 AM
I'd say the comments and questions at the end pretty well sum it up."What was that?"

https://link.theplatform.com/s/2E2eJC/rlzkfL0hUqLa?MBR=TRUE&format=redirect&manifest=m3u&format=redirect&Tracking=true&Embedded=true&formats=MPEG4

MaraudingWalrus
12-06-2018, 11:14 AM
And I'm sure that as always, the comments section in here will be equally full of reasonable statements and sentiments about a man the vast majority of us have never met.

Tony T
12-06-2018, 11:15 AM
At least some good came of the USADA investigation, cycling is finally a 'clean' sport.
;)

gone
12-06-2018, 01:23 PM
I predict minds will be changed.

dbnm
12-06-2018, 01:38 PM
https://www.today.com/news/lance-armstrong-i-don-t-feel-failure-wake-doping-scandal-t144620

Mikej
12-06-2018, 02:06 PM
Dude still has it made -

R3awak3n
12-06-2018, 02:10 PM
that link is weird, downloads some crap

I think this link works better

https://www.today.com/video/lance-armstrong-speaks-out-on-life-after-doping-scandal-1390302787971

Seramount
12-06-2018, 02:27 PM
um, yeah...

even at the peak of his career, he had no impact on my personal life.

now, as a has-been with a tainted record, his influence is considerably less.

hard to get emotionally involved over a mere sports celebrity, good or bad.

bikinchris
12-06-2018, 02:31 PM
At least some good came of the USADA investigation, cycling is finally a 'clean' sport.
;)

You guys are funny as hell....

Gummee
12-06-2018, 03:06 PM
um, yeah...

even at the peak of his career, he had no impact on my personal life.

now, as a has-been with a tainted record, his influence is considerably less.

hard to get emotionally involved over a mere sports celebrity, good or bad.

This

M

edited to add: political figures as well

bikinchris
12-06-2018, 05:39 PM
This

M

edited to add: political figures as well

Unfortunately, unlike sports figures, some of those political figures can make your life and those of your progeny a living hell.

peanutgallery
12-06-2018, 08:05 PM
Encountered Thom Weasel many years ago...I knew right then that he was like the Devil. -7 got schooled by someone who was a bigger douche

CunegoFan
12-06-2018, 08:58 PM
Dude still has it made -

I heard his investment in Uber is worth $65MM.

It's good to be a gangster.

Mr. Pink
12-07-2018, 09:11 AM
How appropriate that he gets bailed out by a unicorn with a bunch of immoral financiers feeding it.

But, he has a problem that I think he's not aware of. All of that is paper wealth right now that can't be liquidated until Uber goes public, so, it's pretty much worthless at the moment, unless you want to brag to finance reporters on TV that you have money, which, is kind of dumb on his part, since he has continuing legal issues and lawsuits directed at him. And Uber is not financially sound at all, and some think never will be. It's a scam that might make him rich if they somehow find bigger fools. http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/12/will-uber-survive-the-next-decade.html Maybe they will. There's a lot of dumb people who get scammed out of their money. Stay tuned.

el cheapo
12-07-2018, 10:07 AM
Lance , buddy, the excuse of I did it because everybody else was doing it ain't gonna fly. Folks despise you not only for being a fraud but for trying to ruin truthful people. However, you do have one redeeming quality...a cool bike shop in Austin.

CunegoFan
12-07-2018, 11:28 AM
Lance , buddy, the excuse of I did it because everybody else was doing it ain't gonna fly.

Sure it will. Because it's true. You cannot have people lauding Merckx, Hinault, Coppi, and Pantani while pretending LA is different. Good chance there has never been a winner of the Tour who did not dope, and in the 90s/00s 99% of the pros doped. It has only become more farcical as Team Sky was caught using bogus TUEs, getting shipments of testosterone, and claiming their supply of corticosteroids, which was enough for an army, was used by their staff not the riders.

Gummee
12-07-2018, 11:40 AM
Unfortunately, unlike sports figures, some of those political figures can make your life and those of your progeny a living hell.

some. ...as in local politicos. I agree.

Much more removed than that? Not so much.

M

johnmdesigner
12-07-2018, 11:41 AM
Interesting how everyone gangs up on this guy when he is not even at the Yokozuna level of liars, cheaters and thieves.

1. He who shall not be named.
2. Zuckerberg
3. Sandberg
4. Bezos
5. Buffett
6. Jobs/Cook
7. Dimon
8. Blakenfein

Too lazy to look up 2 more.
I'm not defending him but he's really not worth consideration in this lineup.

FlashUNC
12-07-2018, 11:46 AM
Sure it will. Because it's true. You cannot have people lauding Merckx, Hinault, Coppi, and Pantani while pretending LA is different. Good chance there has never been a winner of the Tour who did not dope, and in the 90s/00s 99% of the pros doped. It has only become more farcical as Team Sky was caught using bogus TUEs, getting shipments of testosterone, and claiming their supply of corticosteroids, which was enough for an army, was used by their staff not the riders.

How many of them used the ill, the dead and the dying as a rhetorical human shield against any accurate and truthful claims of doping?

Doping's one thing. Using people stricken with cancer as your defense against justified questions about how you win bicycle races is some next level garbage human being stuff.

45K10
12-07-2018, 11:48 AM
Interesting how everyone gangs up on this guy when he is not even at the Yokozuna level of liars, cheaters and thieves.

2. Zuckerberg
3. Sandberg
4. Bezos
5. Buffett
6. Jobs/Cook
7. Dimon
8. Blakenfein

Buffet? He is from Omaha. No one evil can come from Omaha ;)

johnmdesigner
12-07-2018, 11:50 AM
Buffet? He is from Omaha. No one evil can come from Omaha ;)

Lying, cheating and stealing are all part of the American way of life.
It's hypocrisy I cannot stand.

beeatnik
12-07-2018, 11:51 AM
Lance , buddy, the excuse of I did it because everybody else was doing it ain't gonna fly. Folks despise you not only for being a fraud but for trying to ruin truthful people. However, you do have one redeeming quality...a cool bike shop in Austin.

El Trutho

beeatnik
12-07-2018, 11:52 AM
How many of them used the ill, the dead and the dying as a rhetorical human shield against any accurate and truthful claims of doping?

Doping's one thing. Using people stricken with cancer as your defense against justified questions about how you win bicycle races is some next level garbage human being stuff.

Mas Trutho

verticaldoug
12-07-2018, 11:52 AM

2. Zuckerberg
3. Sandberg
4. Bezos
5. Buffett
6. Jobs/Cook
7. Dimon
8. Blakenfein

and Blankfein is doing God's work. How dare you.....

johnmdesigner
12-07-2018, 11:56 AM
and Blankfein is doing God's work. How dare you.....

9. George Hincapie

PQJ
12-07-2018, 01:00 PM
I heard his investment in Uber is worth $65MM.

It's good to be a gangster.

Sometimes, it's good enough to just be lucky.

Chris
12-07-2018, 01:56 PM

I've grown to loathe your incessant defense of that douche, but when you right, you right...:)

johnmdesigner
12-07-2018, 01:59 PM
If I had to put a cyclist on my list of liars, cheaters and thieves I guess I would have to include Floyd. Although what they actually stole is a fly speck in comparison to the others.
I spent an hour in a room with Floyd where he actually lied to 50 peoples faces for money. I gave him $20 to sign a jersey because I actually liked the guy. It was hard for him to lie and you could see it on his face. That's a humiliating spot to be in.
LA lied and cheated and made some money. Then he made a (legitimate) investment in a company. Please tell me someone trending in the news that hasn't done the same thing. But please don't make it political.

Tony T
12-07-2018, 01:59 PM
They caught the one bad guy, cycling is clean. :rolleyes:

Chris Froome was even cleared this year!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mr. Pink
12-07-2018, 02:36 PM
Sometimes, it's good enough to just be lucky.

Even better, a lucky gangster.

saab2000
12-07-2018, 02:42 PM
People worry too much about Lance Armstrong. Mostly I'm indifferent but I've started listening to, and watching, his podcasts about cycling. They are, by far, the most insightful things said on the sport. He may be a pariah, but he is a very, very experienced cyclist.

Tony T
12-07-2018, 09:31 PM
How appropriate that he gets bailed out by a unicorn with a bunch of immoral financiers feeding it.

But, he has a problem that I think he's not aware of. All of that is paper wealth right now that can't be liquidated until Uber goes public, so, it's pretty much worthless at the moment, unless you want to brag to finance reporters on TV that you have money, which, is kind of dumb on his part, since he has continuing legal issues and lawsuits directed at him. And Uber is not financially sound at all, and some think never will be. It's a scam that might make him rich if they somehow find bigger fools. http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/12/will-uber-survive-the-next-decade.html Maybe they will. There's a lot of dumb people who get scammed out of their money. Stay tuned.

Uber confidentially files for IPO: sources (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-uber-ipo/uber-confidentially-files-for-ipo-sources-idUSKBN1O702G)

NEW YORK/SAN FRANCISCO, (Reuters) - Uber Technologies Inc has filed paperwork for an initial public offering, according to three people with knowledge of the matter, taking a step closer to a key milestone for one of the most closely watched and controversial companies in Silicon Valley.

The ride-hailing company filed the confidential paperwork on Thursday, in lock-step with its smaller U.S. rival, Lyft Inc, which also announced on Thursday it had filed for an IPO, setting the stage for one of the biggest technology listings ever.

The simultaneous filings extend the protracted battle between Uber and Lyft, which as fierce competitors have often rolled out identical services and matched each other’s prices.

Uber’s most recent valuation was $76 billion, and could be worth $120 billion in an IPO. Its listing next year would be the largest in what is expected to be a string of public debuts by highly valued Silicon Valley companies, including apartment-renting company Airbnb and workplace messaging firm Slack.

Uber’s debut will be a test of investor tolerance for legal and workplace controversies, which embroiled Uber for most of last year, and on Chief Executive Dara Khosrowshahi’s progress in turning around the company. Khosrowshahi took over more just than a year ago.

Uber faces a deadline to go public by Sept. 30, and a filing this week suggests the debut will come earlier than that.

IPOs from Uber and Lyft will test public market investor appetitive for the ride-hailing business, which has proved wildly popular but also unprofitable.

Uber in the third quarter lost $1 billion and is struggling with slowing growth, although its gross bookings, at $12.7 billion, reflect the company’s enormous scale.

The Wall Street Journal reported the filing earlier on Friday.

dancinkozmo
12-08-2018, 07:03 AM

2. Zuckerberg
3. Sandberg
4. Bezos
5. Buffett
6. Jobs/Cook
7. Dimon
8. Blakenfein

how about OJ ?

Hawker
12-08-2018, 11:29 AM

2. Zuckerberg
3. Sandberg
4. Bezos
5. Buffett
6. Jobs/Cook
7. Dimon
8. Blakenfein

Most probably because this is a cycling forum.

BobC
12-08-2018, 01:30 PM
9. Elizabeth Holmes

Hawker
12-08-2018, 03:48 PM
9. Elizabeth Holmes

Yep, that is still a weird one.

54ny77
12-08-2018, 04:07 PM
Was that a "Fairness Fund" donation? Has he paid you the $20 back yet, now that he's a 420 Kingpin and making bucks?

I was going to donate $ to it back in the day but something didn't quite jibe, esp. since he had Allen Lim handling his "rice cakes." He's as crooked as the rest of the lot as far as I'm concerned, having handled plenty of cycllists who miraculously blossomed under his oversight. I refuse to buy his current sports products (Skratch gels, bars, etc). Sorry, but working with Landis, Vande Velde, Leipheimer AND Armstrong, plus all the other Garmin guys (and who knows how many were jacked up back then despite public posturing to the contrary)...it just smells a little too funny.

I always wondered how Landis got popped back in the Tour. I mean really discovered. Must've been a well placed phone call by a certain Texan. Or someone else with more to gain than lose by getting him DQ'd.

If I had to put a cyclist on my list of liars, cheaters and thieves I guess I would have to include Floyd. Although what they actually stole is a fly speck in comparison to the others.
I spent an hour in a room with Floyd where he actually lied to 50 peoples faces for money. I gave him $20 to sign a jersey because I actually liked the guy. It was hard for him to lie and you could see it on his face. That's a humiliating spot to be in.
LA lied and cheated and made some money. Then he made a (legitimate) investment in a company. Please tell me someone trending in the news that hasn't done the same thing. But please don't make it political.

wc1934
12-08-2018, 05:08 PM

Piggybacking your link:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2018/12/08/how-lance-armstrong-made-boatload-one-investment/HImTDObJoTp8rvSCSOLHBI/story.html

FastforaSlowGuy
12-08-2018, 05:30 PM
I was going to donate $ to it back in the day but something didn't quite jibe, esp. since he had Allen Lim handling his "rice cakes." He's as crooked as the rest of the lot as far as I'm concerned, having handled plenty of cycllists who miraculously blossomed under his oversight. I refuse to buy his current sports products (Skratch gels, bars, etc). Sorry, but working with Landis, Vande Velde, Leipheimer AND Armstrong, plus all the other Garmin guys (and who knows how many were jacked up back then despite public posturing to the contrary)...it just smells a little too funny.

I’m confused. Are you saying Lim was in on it all? Like he was slipping stuff into the rice cakes, or he knew and turned a blind eye?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawker
12-08-2018, 06:13 PM
A couple of interesting articles about Lim. I'm not a fan.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/landis-and-lim-clash-over-cycle-of-lies/

https://www.wired.com/2014/02/skratch-labs/

54ny77
12-08-2018, 07:27 PM
Who the heck knows.

But if you're the team physio charged with responsibility for the best riders (plus others) on a couple of the bigger teams, during what was a laughable era in terms of "clean" riding, call me skeptical but...I would venture tasty rice cakes and ice packs in the back alone don't a grand tour winner make....:bike:

Even if a blind eye was turned, he was part of it.

I’m confused. Are you saying Lim was in on it all? Like he was slipping stuff into the rice cakes, or he knew and turned a blind eye?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk