PDA

View Full Version : Please help design my Uniscasi!

93legendti
11-16-2006, 10:15 AM
I am thinking of a coupled Ti Rapid Tour, slight slope (2 degree) for ease of packing, maybe cantis, "stock" Concours level stiffness, pump peg, chain hanger, no paint. Anything else I should consider?

Ahneida Ride
11-16-2006, 11:44 AM
Carmina Crank from Peter White.
Rack mounts, whether you use em or not.
Dinoitte tail light, also from Peter White.
Brooks Saddle ????? ( Champion Flyer or B67 )

After all it's a tour bike, not a race bike.

93legendti
11-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Ah no, sorry, no Brooks, no rack, no light necessary for me.

eddief
11-16-2006, 01:31 PM
consider how to separate the bars from the rest of the frame. I use downtube shifters which means they stay attached to that part of the frame when it comes apart. It's easy to undo the front brake cable from the caliper and spit the rear one. If you use Ergo or STI then you have to consider the logistics of the gear cables, how and where to split and how to completely separate the bars from the rest of the frame.

thejen12
11-16-2006, 01:38 PM
Ah no, sorry, no Brooks, no rack, no light necessary for me.
At least get the rack mounts. If you ever need to, heaven forbid, sell this frame, it would increase the resale value since a lot of people who tour like to use a rack.

Jenn

Bradford
11-16-2006, 01:40 PM
consider how to separate the bars from the rest of the frame.

This is a non-issue with cable splitters. Unscrew, pack, unpack, rescrew.

93legendti
11-16-2006, 01:53 PM
At least get the rack mounts. If you ever need to, heaven forbid, sell this frame, it would increase the resale value since a lot of people who tour like to use a rack.

Jenn

Good point. I figured they would be standard on a Rapid Tour (my lugged RT has them), but a good point to check off on the build sheet. I will do the fender mounts as well.

eddief
11-16-2006, 02:01 PM
If you have STI shifters that have housing that runs from the shifter to the downtube cable stop, then the splitter needs to be installed on the bare cable after the stop. I don't think the end of the splitter will thread back through the stop when you pull off the bars. Unless, I'm missing something, it sounds like there could be a tangle.

Maybe the key is braised on split cable stops as built onto the Ritchey Breakaway. Serotta is "probably" smart enough to consider these things on their packable.

Serotta PETE
11-16-2006, 02:23 PM
No paint is a good idea. (I have no paint and just decals - -scratch comes out and decals are replacable.) I love the bike. As to brakes

I would think hard about canti, I have regular Ultegra and they require no maintenance on pack and unpack, My past experience with CANTI is they require TLC during setup - and you will be setting up on each unpack.

I did not have eyelets for racks for I would not be carrying a rack (and a rack does not fit in carrying box).

What type fork are you considering. Many forks do not have eyelets. Also, I would "discuss over wine" whether a resale is better with or without eyelets. Of the three folks I know that have Uni - none have or want eyelets. Comotion or others might have a different customer set but then their bikes are less expensive and non ti, and they maybe cater more to the tourist. I assure you that RACKS or anything but the bike, will find a home in the carrying case......It is a TIGHT fit.!!

You will enjoy the bike. If fact if you ever get to Raleigh feel free to try mine. Sloping TT is also a good ides - gives more packing room at top of case. Plan on no carbon bars and stem for they will come off everytime you pack and then need to be re installed. ALUMINUM is more forgiving.

PETE

I am thinking of a coupled Ti Rapid Tour, slight slope (2 degree) for ease of packing, maybe cantis, "stock" Concours level stiffness, pump peg, chain hanger, no paint. Anything else I should consider?

93legendti
11-16-2006, 02:33 PM
No paint is a good idea. (I have no paint and just decals - -scratch comes out and decals are replacable.) I love the bike. As to brakes

I would think hard about canti, I have regular Ultegra and they require no maintenance on pack and unpack, My past experience with CANTI is they require TLC during setup - and you will be setting up on each unpack.

I did not have eyelets for racks for I would not be carrying a rack (and a rack does not fit in carrying box).

What type fork are you considering. Many forks do not have eyelets. Also, I would "discuss over wine" whether a resale is better with or without eyelets. Of the three folks I know that have Uni - none have or want eyelets. Comotion or others might have a different customer set but then their bikes are less expensive and non ti, and they maybe cater more to the tourist. I assure you that RACKS or anything but the bike, will find a home in the carrying case......It is a TIGHT fit.!!

You will enjoy the bike. If fact if you ever get to Raleigh feel free to try mine. Sloping TT is also a good ides - gives more packing room at top of case. Plan on no carbon bars and stem for they will come off everytime you pack and then need to be re installed. ALUMINUM is more forgiving.

PETE
The LBS and I talked about the cantis and set up--if we go that route he recommends the new Cane Creek cantis. The stems, bars, cranks, etc. would be standard aluminum stuff.

Serotta PETE
11-16-2006, 04:13 PM
you will enjoy the ride.... Smiley likes his but wishes he got Ti.. :D

No he doesn't - -BUT I have to rib him some......

Bradford
11-16-2006, 04:24 PM
If you have STI shifters that have housing that runs from the shifter to the downtube cable stop, then the splitter needs to be installed on the bare cable after the stop. I don't think the end of the splitter will thread back through the stop when you pull off the bars.
Yes, you are right, but you don't need to thread the cable back through the stop. You just unhook it and leave it where it is. When you put the padding wrap on the tubes, the cable is locked down and it doens't get tangled

If you look at the Captain's bike, you can see where the splitters go and why that isn't a problem.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=16380

FierteTi52
11-16-2006, 04:33 PM
consider how to separate the bars from the rest of the frame. If you use Ergo or STI then you have to consider the logistics of the gear cables, how and where to split and how to completely separate the bars from the rest of the frame.

Order the bike with downtube shifter bosses and use the fittings included with your STI shifters. You can simply unscrew the boss fittings and separate the handlebars with the split cables from the frame.
Jeff

93legendti
11-16-2006, 04:40 PM
Order the bike with downtube shifter bosses and use the fittings included with your STI shifters. You can simply unscrew the boss fittings and separate the handlebars with the split cables from the frame.
Jeff

I don't think Serotta likes to put shifter bosses on the DT. I know Carl Strong did not want to do it.