PDA

View Full Version : e-cycling (zwift et al) gaining acceptance

echappist
12-05-2018, 07:41 PM
apparently British Cycling will launch an e-cycling championship event.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/dec/05/cycling-virtual-reality-championships-eracing-esports

drewskey
12-05-2018, 08:36 PM
This may be the closest to an actual e-sport there ever will be...

93KgBike
12-06-2018, 01:50 PM
A comment under the article is funny; "Oh great. At least three new ways to cheat."
lol

makoti
12-06-2018, 02:33 PM
A comment under the article is funny;
lol

Very true. Weight doping is a real thing.

Davist
12-06-2018, 02:40 PM
When bicycling published their strava year in numbers story, it showed "virtual" group rides as the most uploaded category. Is this zwift/peloton and the like? Seemed sad that "real" group rides were second..

link: https://www.bicycling.com/news/g25350331/strava-annual-report-cycling-statistics/

makoti
12-06-2018, 02:43 PM
When bicycling published their strava year in numbers story, it showed "virtual" group rides as the most uploaded category. Is this zwift/peloton and the like? Seemed sad that "real" group rides were second..

link: https://www.bicycling.com/news/g25350331/strava-annual-report-cycling-statistics/

It was nasty out this weekend. I did a group ride on zwift. 45 min of decent paced work. It was me & 300 of my closest friends. I don't see how 300 people getting a decent workout, regardless of how the weather was outside of their basements can be a bad thing

Davist
12-06-2018, 03:16 PM
It was nasty out this weekend. I did a group ride on zwift. 45 min of decent paced work. It was me & 300 of my closest friends. I don't see how 300 people getting a decent workout, regardless of how the weather was outside of their basements can be a bad thing

My comment was really around the human interaction part, yes, getting a workout in is great, but don't confuse it for talking to people on a ride and sharing a coffee or whatever.. more like isolation in shared company, but I'm a curmudgeon..

93KgBike
12-06-2018, 03:29 PM

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2F11fpbdc bnBd5tu%2Fsource.gif&f=1

makoti
12-06-2018, 03:35 PM
My comment was really around the human interaction part, yes, getting a workout in is great, but don't confuse it for talking to people on a ride and sharing a coffee or whatever.. more like isolation in shared company, but I'm a curmudgeon..

Well, using something called Discord, there is quite a bit of interaction possible. Even without that, texting happens all the time (I don't do either, since like you, I'm a curmudgeon & I just want to ride my bike thankyouverymuch). Most group rides tend to disband very quickly after the wheels stop turning, so I think it can be far closer to the "normal" social interaction than you want to give it credit for. And for those who don't feel comfortable in groups, live where groups aren't available, have strange work hours, it can give everything you are saying it lacks. Oh, and it gives the chance to interact with people from all over the globe. Does your local ride do that?
Would I prefer to be outside with friends? Every time. Do I see value for others in both workouts and social interaction? Yep.

BobbyJones
12-06-2018, 10:54 PM
so, who’s gonna be the first basement workout WC?

chiasticon
12-07-2018, 07:03 AM
It was nasty out this weekend. I did a group ride on zwift. 45 min of decent paced work. It was me & 300 of my closest friends. I don't see how 300 people getting a decent workout, regardless of how the weather was outside of their basements can be a bad thingit's just interesting that the number of outside rides aren't outnumbering the number of inside rides. most places, outside conditions allow riding at least nine months out of the year. apparently more and more people are staying inside rather than going out, even during those nine-plus months. does that mean more cyclists are shifting to predominantly inside rides? or does that mean more people have gotten into cycling, purely to ride inside? if it's the latter, then that's great; more people trying to get/stay in shape is always a good thing. if it's the former, why is that? because it's better training, because they don't like road conditions, drivers are terrifying, etc...

makoti
12-07-2018, 08:06 AM
it's just interesting that the number of outside rides aren't outnumbering the number of inside rides. most places, outside conditions allow riding at least nine months out of the year. apparently more and more people are staying inside rather than going out, even during those nine-plus months. does that mean more cyclists are shifting to predominantly inside rides? or does that mean more people have gotten into cycling, purely to ride inside? if it's the latter, then that's great; more people trying to get/stay in shape is always a good thing. if it's the former, why is that? because it's better training, because they don't like road conditions, drivers are terrifying, etc...

I do know a lot of people have a fear of traffic so they ride inside (my take from being on Zwift FB pages). For me, it is usually weather driven (Wimp. Can't be to cold or to hot/humid.) although even on the best days, if I am going to attempt a workout that needs consistency I'll consider riding inside. Repeatablity is way more possible inside than it is on the roads around where I live. That last point, of course, doesn't really speak to group rides.

Lewis Moon
12-07-2018, 08:16 AM
so, who’s gonna be the first basement workout WC?

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/basement_5691.png

jb_11
12-07-2018, 08:20 AM
Well, using something called Discord, there is quite a bit of interaction possible. Even without that, texting happens all the time (I don't do either, since like you, I'm a curmudgeon & I just want to ride my bike thankyouverymuch). Most group rides tend to disband very quickly after the wheels stop turning, so I think it can be far closer to the "normal" social interaction than you want to give it credit for. And for those who don't feel comfortable in groups, live where groups aren't available, have strange work hours, it can give everything you are saying it lacks. Oh, and it gives the chance to interact with people from all over the globe. Does your local ride do that?
Would I prefer to be outside with friends? Every time. Do I see value for others in both workouts and social interaction? Yep.

I moved across the country a few years ago, but I'm able to ride together with my old club on Zwift occasionally. We use Discord and it works quite well. Actually, it's somewhat easier to have a conversation than when riding in a paceline. I still prefer a nice ride outside, but it definitely has it some pluses.

bigbill
12-07-2018, 09:19 AM
My new home in NW Arizona is not good for weekday rides unless it's MTB. To keep my fitness, I recently bought a KICKR and put the Ti Serotta in it. I'm a rabbit chaser so even the most basic loops on Zwift motivate me because of the other riders ahead or jumping on a passing rider. It gets my heartrate up, it's a cycling specific workout with my setup, and I can do it regardless of weather or daylight. It works for me.

redir
12-07-2018, 09:37 AM
I have ridden inside on the rollers with Zwift in the last two weeks then I have in the last 5 years I think. It was 20deg when I got up this morning, I don't ride in the kind of cold anymore. So it works for me too. Is it fun? No not really, but it works.

saab2000
12-07-2018, 06:27 PM
People should read Ender’s Game to see where this goes.

Davist
12-08-2018, 08:05 AM

ha! and they called me "Debbie downer" for pointing out that this was more popular than outside riding per strava..

echappist
12-08-2018, 12:43 PM
I do know a lot of people have a fear of traffic so they ride inside (my take from being on Zwift FB pages). For me, it is usually weather driven (Wimp. Can't be to cold or to hot/humid.) although even on the best days, if I am going to attempt a workout that needs consistency I'll consider riding inside. Repeatablity is way more possible inside than it is on the roads around where I live. That last point, of course, doesn't really speak to group rides.

this exactly. though i'd go to Hain's Point in a heart beat (over Zwift) if the former is an option, despite all the stop signs

for most everything else, Zwift is surprisingly great
My new home in NW Arizona is not good for weekday rides unless it's MTB. To keep my fitness, I recently bought a KICKR and put the Ti Serotta in it. I'm a rabbit chaser so even the most basic loops on Zwift motivate me because of the other riders ahead or jumping on a passing rider. It gets my heartrate up, it's a cycling specific workout with my setup, and I can do it regardless of weather or daylight. It works for me.

also this. I'm actually not a rabbit chaser when riding outside, but riding in a group really beats back boredom when I need to do a steady Z2/Z3 ride

would love to read it, but it'll have to be after I complete the last 8/9 of War and Peace. Care for a summary of the relevant sections :)?

quickfeet
12-08-2018, 01:46 PM

Why read it when you can watch the movie?

ergott
12-08-2018, 02:10 PM
it's just interesting that the number of outside rides aren't outnumbering the number of inside rides. most places, outside conditions allow riding at least nine months out of the year. apparently more and more people are staying inside rather than going out, even during those nine-plus months. does that mean more cyclists are shifting to predominantly inside rides? or does that mean more people have gotten into cycling, purely to ride inside? if it's the latter, then that's great; more people trying to get/stay in shape is always a good thing. if it's the former, why is that? because it's better training, because they don't like road conditions, drivers are terrifying, etc...

It's worth noting that my weekday rides are typically Zwift, but will ride with my group outdoors at least until it's in the 30s. Indoor rides are almost always shorter than outdoors with people. According to my 2018 stats I have 362 hours riding. 159 hours of that is indoors so I still have a lot more riding time outdoors even though by ride count it's more like 50:50.

saab2000
12-08-2018, 02:11 PM
Why read it when you can watch the movie?

Because the movie is terrible, like many adaptations of great stories. They don't capture the writer's intent or the character's emotions well in many cases.

Burnette
12-08-2018, 02:21 PM
An apparel maker posted here some time ago wanting ideas and I suggested going after the indoor cyclist market.

I would wager most reading this are living in areas that are experiencing more traffic by the year and face more distracted drivers than ever. Getting newbs on the road was always daunting but those issues have only made it harder.

As far as the camaraderie angle goes I get it but observation of how people would rather not engage personally with other people and even prefer electronic social engagement, it's easy to see ecycling growing.

Look at any group ride thread on any forum and read the rants about etiquette, about arguing, about attitudes, about dropping and getting dropped, average speed and pace, about being called a "Fred" or chastising someone for being a "Fred", the prima donna clothing and tan line divas, A types ruining it, non A types ruining it...

My job has curtailed my outdoor cycling time and I've become a hamster, riding the rollers downstairs with my Spotify jams blaring. A big part of cycling for me is being outdoors, the wind, the sounds, the smells (I could do without the dead possum, though, ha!), much like a motorcyclist it's a feeling of freedom and the stimuli is a big draw.

But the issues I posted above and maybe time will have me looking at a full on big screen, fan and surround sound room. Not now, too soon and the joy of outside riding is still strong, but I see the draw and don't begrudge anyone who goes this route. No doubt it is safer. And we all have to agree that's a very, very big plus that we can't belittle.

93KgBike
12-08-2018, 02:43 PM
A big part of cycling for me is being outdoors ... but I see the draw and don't begrudge anyone who goes this route. No doubt it is safer. And we all have to agree that's a very, very big plus that we can't belittle.

Well said Burnette.

Those of us that have used trainers (or spinning) in the 'off season' over the years know that maintaining or building strength is a motivation for getting outdoors on a bike.

Riding/racing in Watopia keeps you fit and makes you stronger. Strength and fitness allow you to ride better and safer when outdoors and with others.

I imagine that Zwift is resulting in more total riding, rather than less.

For myself, reducing risk while training translates into more time for bigger better outdoor rides. That's a premium.

quickfeet
12-08-2018, 03:40 PM
Because the movie is terrible, like many adaptations of great stories. They don't capture the writer's intent or the character's emotions well in many cases.

I was most definitely kidding.

Davist
12-08-2018, 03:44 PM
Counterpoint, is, and I'm sure we all see it in the spring in various ways.. Indoor training works on the engine, period. No bike handling/turning/braking, and can reinforce "bad" pedaling habits. (ever seen someone bounce going up hill due to trainers? Unfortunately, I've seen a couple single bicycle accidents because the engine was WAY stronger than the driver. Now, the safety aspect with dwindling daylight is, of course, a big positive. But nothing substitutes for riding a bike like, well, riding a bike.. If the goal is to get better at riding a bike, anyway.

93KgBike
12-08-2018, 03:55 PM
That's not a counterpoint. You're being stubborn.

Fatigue causes infinitely more accidents than strength.

And there are plenty of dedicated cyclists that cannot handle a bike for sh&@.

But I respect your moxy, pilgrim.

ergott
12-08-2018, 03:59 PM
ever seen someone bounce going up hill due to trainers?

I have no idea what this looks like nor how it can be determined that it's due to trainer riding. I've seen poor form all over the place and never accounted it to riding on a trainer. I've seen poor decision making from riders well into the season when no one is riding a trainer anymore.