PDA

View Full Version : PSA - Scammer Alerts!

AngryScientist
12-04-2018, 10:09 AM
Forumites:

I know most of you are savvy internet users, but i have received two complaints in the last 24 hours about a zero post user who has tried to scam them, originating from WTB posts.

I banned that user (peterdaniels), but that obviously doesnt mean the scammer will not just create another account and prey on other users.

be aware.

dont pay people in moneygram or itunes gift cards anything else other than paypal if you dont know them.

be careful.

Additionally - we all know this, but keep an eye on the more "vulnerable" folks around you. the elderly, etc who might fall victim to these kinds of phone and mail scams. with the holidays around - the scammers are out to get money out of generous, good natured people.

also - report here if this has happened to you and the username of the guilty!

MattTuck
12-04-2018, 11:01 AM
Nick, you shouldn't have banned him so quickly. You ruined our chance to scam the scammer.

:)

Glad that you and the other mods, and the other folks on here are on top of things and keep the riff raff out. Thanks for all you do.

William
12-21-2018, 11:53 AM
This is key. I tried searching peterdaniels in the feedback thread and that handle did not come up. That means that if people were dealing with this person they were leaving no feedback. This can prevent others from falling into the same trap. Dealing on the Classifieds is a buyer beware proposition. Also note that buying from, or selling to someone with no history and no feedback is ripe for getting taken advantage of.

William

Keith A
03-31-2020, 11:54 AM
Here are links to two discussions in the Classified Section regarding this issue...

PSA:Scammer Alert! (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=231328)

Stop responding to 0 post users (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=249390)

Gpmrntz
05-28-2020, 03:36 PM
So, I've been a member here for years. I would think I have 20+ posts, but it would seem I don't, because I've never been able to post in the classifieds.

Regardless, how is someone with no post history able to post in the classifieds, but I am not? : (

Keith A
05-28-2020, 03:42 PM
So, I've been a member here for years. I would think I have 20+ posts, but it would seem I don't, because I've never been able to post in the classifieds.

Regardless, how is someone with no post history able to post in the classifieds, but I am not? : (Please show me an example of this.

kohagen
05-28-2020, 04:32 PM

Regardless, how is someone with no post history able to post in the classifieds, but I am not? : (

Your most recent post shows you have 25 posts since you joined. The minimum number of posts required to post in the classifieds is 30. The issue that people have run into recently is new members with 0 posts sending a PM to respond to a WTB, and the seller they have referred him to attempting to scam the potential buyer.

Tony T
01-04-2021, 04:08 PM
Should this still be a “sticky”?

Keith A
01-04-2021, 04:25 PM
Should this still be a “sticky”?Good question. I get multiple requests each day from email addresses that are known spammers/scammers. So there is a good chance that someone might get through that I don't catch. It is certainly more difficult for them to contact our members, but not impossible.

Chrisyang
03-30-2022, 03:09 AM
Should this still be a “sticky”?

jhshannon
07-22-2022, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the heads up!

Forumites:

I know most of you are savvy internet users, but i have received two complaints in the last 24 hours about a zero post user who has tried to scam them, originating from WTB posts.

I banned that user (peterdaniels), but that obviously doesnt mean the scammer will not just create another account and prey on other users.

be aware.

dont pay people in moneygram or itunes gift cards anything else other than paypal if you dont know them.

be careful.

Additionally - we all know this, but keep an eye on the more "vulnerable" folks around you. the elderly, etc who might fall victim to these kinds of phone and mail scams. with the holidays around - the scammers are out to get money out of generous, good natured people.

also - report here if this has happened to you and the username of the guilty!