PDA

View Full Version : Freight Forwarding Europe to North America

TDot
12-03-2018, 06:18 PM
Anyone have experience with this? I want to buy a bike on ebay.de but the seller won't ship to North America, in this case, Toronto. He also wants a bank transfer rather than paypal, but that's another story. Hoping to talk him out of that .. any advice would be appreciated!

ultraman6970
12-03-2018, 06:43 PM
If he can sell to europe, probably one of the belgian, swiss or sweeden forumites could help, as for the bank transfer... big no no in that IMO.

ps: i know a seller in holland that would be nice enough to help you, he is well known here aswell.

Louis
12-03-2018, 07:12 PM
What you want is the reverse of this: https://www.shipito.com/en/services/what-is-shipito

Someone in Europe must do that. (maybe)

Edit: Actually, I just checked, and Shipito will ship from Europe (warehouse in Austria) to the US.

I used them to ship a frame from the US to Australia and it worked well.

TDot
12-04-2018, 05:08 AM
Thanks everyone. The bank transfer piece is a red flag for me but I'm actually helping an even less versed friend with this so it will be up to him. I expect that if we can locate a freight forwarder the cost may still be prohibitive but we'll play the scenario out and if it works out will let you all know.

ChristianWong
12-04-2018, 05:26 AM
Bank transfers are very common here so I wouldn't let that put you off too much. Obviously you have some buyer protection using PayPal but bank transfers are typically very secure.

Depending on where in Germany the bike is, I'd be willing to facilitate. Send me a PM with details if you're interested.

paredown
12-04-2018, 06:30 AM
Bank transfers are very common here so I wouldn't let that put you off too much. Obviously you have some buyer protection using PayPal but bank transfers are typically very secure.

Depending on where in Germany the bike is, I'd be willing to facilitate. Send me a PM with details if you're interested.

^^This^^

When I was in Germany, most Paypal transactions used transfers--the system has been in place for years, and is very secure and as a consumer you don't get charged much (if anything?)--unlike here where banks are still in the dark ages and will soak you for an international transfer...

Germans objected to Paypal because of the charges--you might see if he will take Paypal if you gross up the payment to cover his fees? (Call it something else though so the eBay Police don't get you.)