PDA

View Full Version : Whats Your Favorite Century/Group Ride?

Steelhead
11-16-2006, 06:56 AM
Seeing the mention of Tour de Tuscon and Solvang got me thinking of this....whats your favorite century or organized ride? Personally I love Hotter then Hell and Santa Fe Century. Tuscon and Solvang are on my list of rides to do in the next few years.

Tom
11-16-2006, 07:21 AM
The Highlander's nice but there's a couple here in town that put on a century each season of the year. Give them ten bucks and they drive around with a pickup full of food, coffee, they give away t-shirts and whatever sponsorship trinkets they've got laying around, the course is generally the same each time so you can guage where your fitness is, there's an uphill/downhill TT on Lake Desolation if you're so inclined. They go out and have a get together at a local eatery afterward which I've never had time to do but is a nice idea. It's called the "Sweat'n'____" series. I punctured my back tire 3/4 of a mile into it the last time I rode, they threw me a tube and refused my offer of an exchange - I do carry my own stuff - and were nice enough to trail along behind me until it was impossible for me to get lost any more and I caught up to the group. (Disclaimer - the group was stopped eating bagels and filling bottles) It's a good time.

Kevan
11-16-2006, 07:25 AM
For us Nor’ easterners, this is the first organized ride of the new season, sponsored by the fine folk and members of The Sound Cyclists Club. Spring has sprung and the cyclists descend on this event like bees to cherry blossoms. The ride starts in Norwalk CT and the route takes the cyclist out along the shoreline of Long Island Sound, through the hoity-toity 'hood of Westport and on up into horse country, with a wonderful turn around a beautiful reservoir. The food stops are top drawer. Hey, their PB&J on cinnamon-raisin bread, beats all! And who can complain about a metric? The metric is so civilized, just as your legs and butt begin to ache, you're done. It's perfect for the early season start. You're out there mixing it up with your pals for 3 hours and come back to the starting point for a nice lunch and more yakking with new found pals.

The only problem with this event is you look forward to it for days, weeks, months... and it's over in a flash.

http://www.soundcyclists.com/Bloomin.htm

H.Frank Beshear
11-16-2006, 08:17 AM
I like the fall centuries for the change in the scenery and cooler temps. My favorite of all though is TOMRV (http://www.qcbc.org/tomrv/index) . This is my clubs annual event and will be the 30th anniversary this year. It's still one the most scenic well run events I've ever been on. If you are within driving distance this is still one of the best. I'd love to have a group from the forum to ride with next year. Here's some pictures (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=18379) from last year, it was a little rainy :rolleyes: but a good time was had by all. Frank

Ti Designs
11-16-2006, 09:09 AM
I liked the Boston area Serotta forum ride - wait, that never happened... Honestly, I don't see why it needs to be some big organized ride. If my *** is in the saddle, it's probably a good ride. Any ride where a few people get together and head off into the distance has the potential to be the best ride ever - am I the only one who feels that way?

jthurow
11-16-2006, 09:23 AM
My favorite of all though is TOMRV (http://www.qcbc.org/tomrv/index).

I've done TOMRV a few times and have really enjoyed it. If I rode it with Frank, I'm sure I would've enjoyed it even more. :p It's challenging but not impossible. The route is well marked and supported. As Frank mentioned, the weather doesn't always cooperate but that just helps make the ride into an "epic" ride, right. ;) If you do it, be sure to leave something in the tank for the end, especially on the first day (it's a two day ride).

jimi

Rover-Rich
11-16-2006, 09:44 AM
My favorite of all though is TOMRVbut a good time was had by all. Frank

I agree with Frank, I've been on many rides and this one rocks. Bar none, the food and sag stations are the best. Next year Frank, lets get a bunch of Forumites together to do the ride, I'm game to help organize! :beer:

H.Frank Beshear
11-16-2006, 10:56 AM
Hey Rich and Jimi, I've always thought this would make a great Mid-West forum ride. The roads are well marked, we have plenty of food without cooking, 2 options for the routes and plenty of options for lodging. It would be great to have a group next year. Let's see if we can make that happen. Frank

SoCalSteve
11-16-2006, 10:58 AM
Solvang Metric and Centuries are amazing!

Metric in November

Century in March

Steve

Johnnyg
11-16-2006, 11:02 AM
The Great River Ride out of Westfield, Massachusetts the first weekend in October is one of my favorite rides. The forcast calls for pain on this one. A truely beautiful, challengeing and epic ride. See you there. JohnnyG

konstantkarma
11-16-2006, 11:23 AM
The Civil War Century. Sponsored by the Baltimore Bicycling Club. It is challenging enough that not too many people attempt to ride it. It is hilly, the support is excellent, the scenery is scenic, and as I said to my last cycling partner, as we were cruising through the Antietam battlefield, "it isn't every day you ride your bike over ground where 30,000 Americans died in one day". Truly hallowed ground.

Oh, and it also incorporates my favorite oxymoron ito its title...."Civil War" :rolleyes: .

saab2000
11-16-2006, 11:26 AM
The old Octoberfest Century in western Wisconsin, leaving from La Crosse. Terrific scenery, fast, hilly, not too big.

I think it is no longer run these days.

Ozz
11-16-2006, 11:35 AM
I...If my *** is in the saddle, it's probably a good ride. ...am I the only one who feels that way?
count me in.

FWIW - Tour de Blast (http://www.tourdeblast.com/) is pretty fun...smooth roads, good weather, little no traffic and challenging. Only downside is that it is an out-and-back route...but the last twenty-five miles are all downhill! Wheeeeeeeeeeee!

Marron
11-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Ride Around Mount Rainier One Day has to be one of the more scenic organized rides and I believe it is one of a few that takes place in a National Park. I'm hoping that the the recent flooding and road damage won't reroute the ride this year.

The other well known NW ride ,STP, is something completely different; a flat double century with a two day option. It doesn't have much to recommend it other than you will see almost everyone you know at some point during the day.

SponsorsWanted
11-16-2006, 01:06 PM
Three State Three Mountain Challenge century is pretty epic, goes through TN, GA, and AL and climbs the toughest mountains in the region. The last climb is lookout mountain, the end section is called Burkhalter Gap and has some pretty intense grades, all this in the last 15mi...

Steelhead
11-16-2006, 01:09 PM
I liked the Boston area Serotta forum ride - wait, that never happened... Honestly, I don't see why it needs to be some big organized ride. If my *** is in the saddle, it's probably a good ride. Any ride where a few people get together and head off into the distance has the potential to be the best ride ever - am I the only one who feels that way?

Any ride where a few people get together and head off into the distance has the potential to be the best ride ever - am I the only one who feels that way?[/

I agree completely - but what are the rides that you enjoy registering for, possibly making a trip out of it - getting some goofy t-shirt, and you wouldn't miss it??

Brian
11-16-2006, 02:23 PM
The Highlander, in the Finger Lakes region of upstate New York, is definitely my favorite. Beautiful scenery and amazing support make this one great ride. Oh, and did I mention the 10,000+ feet of climbing?

Check it out: www.highlandercycletour.com

Serotta PETE
11-16-2006, 02:29 PM
Great weather, good food and drink, and great friends (TOM and his gang).

SPokes even liked it so much he left his bike in LA. Tom said he saw a guy with a FED EX jersey riding it last (out by MAILBU)

SPOKES can harldy wait for this years event. TOM AND I need to work on him!!! Maybe introduce him to some of the west coast co-ed riders might do the trick...>>>>

PETE ;)