PDA

View Full Version : Old guys of paceline, here's the question:

MattTuck
12-03-2018, 11:22 AM
Are you still in good shape because your ride? or are you still able to ride because you're in good shape?

Inspired by the Chief's, ummm, inspirational story of rolling his odometer, I have to know. I've seen a lot of folks over 65 or 70 that are not very physically fit, and certainly could not be riding a bicycle.

So, acknowledging the fact that you may not be able to separate cause and effect, I'd like to know which you attribute your continued ability to ride. genetic or other types of luck, or a life time of physical activity to build and maintain that fitness?

Bentley
12-03-2018, 11:38 AM
So I’m a young “Old Guy”, just 61, I’m guessing I’m fit because I ride, but I also stay fit to ride.

I ride 4 to 5 times a week, during the week I do like a 15mile rides and do strength training and some work on the elliptical. Weekends I do longer rides.

I love riding because it it’s peaceful and truly pleasurable.

Ray

XXtwindad
12-03-2018, 11:40 AM
Are you still in good shape because your ride? or are you still able to ride because you're in good shape?

Inspired by the Chief's, ummm, inspirational story of rolling his odometer, I have to know. I've seen a lot of folks over 65 or 70 that are not very physically fit, and certainly could not be riding a bicycle.

So, acknowledging the fact that you may not be able to separate cause and effect, I'd like to know which you attribute your continued ability to ride. genetic or other types of luck, or a life time of physical activity to build and maintain that fitness?

I'm curious about this as well...

Clean39T
12-03-2018, 11:44 AM
My MIL just turned 70 and can barely get from her house to her car. And then I read about people here in their late 70s clocking more miles a year than I do..

I'm hoping a life of activity will keep me doing what I do for a long, long time - plus, science ;).

Gummee
12-03-2018, 12:02 PM
My MIL just turned 70 and can barely get from her house to her car. And then I read about people here in their late 70s clocking more miles a year than I do..

I'm hoping a life of activity will keep me doing what I do for a long, long time - plus, science ;).

It isn't too late to turn things around, but AFAIK if you're active while you're young, you'll be fitter when you're older and able to be more active. ...which allows you to be fitter... which...

The youngest guy on the ride yesterday was 46YO

M

tv_vt
12-03-2018, 12:03 PM
I would say both, Matt. We on this forum are lucky that we have found something we really enjoy doing that's also good for our health. I have always been active, thanks to enjoyment of cycling, tennis, hiking, xc skiing, and other things. I've enjoyed doing these things, so the health benefits have just come along for the ride.

But yeah, genes probably have something to do with it. A lot of us just run into issues in our life that we didn't ask for - cancer being one of too many to list.

Every day is a gift.

verbs4us
12-03-2018, 12:08 PM
Years ago I read a press conference of Paul Dudley White, who was Eisenhower's cardiologist. Ike had just suffered his first heart attack so White went out in front of the cameras to explain how the ex-president was doing (remember, this was at a time when people listened to scientists instead of deriding them). At one point in the back and forth, a reporter asked if Ike's heart attack was because of all his exertion on the golf course. "On the contrary,' White said, "it was probably a mild one because he spent all the time on the golf course. I'd like to see him back out there as soon as possible."

Or, to the OP's question, the answer to "am I young because I ride or do I ride because I am young?" is "yes."

Cloozoe
12-03-2018, 12:08 PM
A variation on the old "nature vs nurture" question.

I vote "both". I'm 66, do about 4-5k miles per year, have a lot of top 10 (And one KOM) Strava segments, all ages/weights.

Without question cycling helps keep me fit, but I'm predisposed that way too, I think.

drewski
12-03-2018, 12:11 PM
Health is wealth.

I used to see Fred Lebow running in the Central Park when I was in my yooot. Fred started the New York Road Runners Club.
I think his quotes and his power of example is the all the inspiration I have needed. He says this about running but a case can be made that it applies to cycling:

Training is like putting money in a bank. You deposit money, and then you can take it out.
Fred Lebow

https://www.azquotes.com/author/20466-Fred_Lebow

bart998
12-03-2018, 12:12 PM
Definitely both. When I was younger and racing I worked out (run, gym, etc.) to improve my riding for racing. Now that I'm older (58) I ride as part of a general fitness regimen. I didn't work out for many years but started to ride again because I had become overweight. Then added back in things like the gym and improved diet. These have in turn improved my riding significantly over the past few years.

BobO
12-03-2018, 12:14 PM
Every day is a gift.

Boy isn't that the truth! :banana:

XXtwindad
12-03-2018, 12:22 PM
Well, Matt, if non forum member feedback is permissible...

One of my fittest clients (perhaps the fittest, actually) is 67. He looks like a really ripped version of "The Most Inteseting Man in the World." My gym has about 15 swinging monkey bars hanging from the ceiling. Most of my clients (and other gym members) can only nail four. Maybe five. He nailed all of them on the first attempt.

He also did a cycling trip last year in the Caucuses where he climbed 30,000 feet.

His Dad passed at almost 100. His Mom is still alive in her 90s. Genetic component? Most definitely. But he's never been sedentary. So "movement" has never been arduous or unpleasant for him.

One of my favorite stories about my buddy "The Mentor." We had just completed a hellacious ride with 5,000 ft of climbing in 95 degree heat. Miserable. He kicked my ass all over the place.

We got back to his house and his Mother was perplexed.

"Aren't you his trainer, Dear?"

I mulled the question over. Admitttedly, I was a tad embarrassed.

"That's true," I finally said. "But I'm more flexible than he is."

A poolside toast to all the "older" athletes still doing it...

biker72
12-03-2018, 12:24 PM
I'm definitely not in Chief's league but am 80 and still ride bicycles. I'm in good shape because I ride and on the bad riding days I walk. I also lift weights a little and do a lot more stretching than I ever did when I was younger.

I am NOT an athlete. I ride because it's fun. Never raced in my life. I commute to work every day possible.

C40_guy
12-03-2018, 12:24 PM
I run with a guy who typically places first in his 80-89 age group. 10K, half marathons, full marathons...

He was out there yesterday for a 3K trail run, in the rain. 45 degrees. Didn't finish that far behind me. :)

Yea. 80-89.

His gait isn't pretty. His attitude is amazing.

Bob Ross
12-03-2018, 12:44 PM
Oh, I'm definitely fit because I ride!

I do not ride to be fit; tbh I don't do much of anything to be fit. The fitness benefits of cycling are pure gravy to me.

...gravy that I certainly appreciate, for sure. But if I couldn't cycle I'd probably go back to being 20+ lbs heavier and having a pasty white studio tan long before I found some other activity that bestowed cycling's fitness benefits and that I enjoyed as much.

pdmtong
12-03-2018, 01:13 PM
By definition everyone on this board has a passion for an active lifestyle, whether cycling or other. Members may or may not be at their ideal weight, yet still they "ride" and are active.

As time goes by same members become "old guys". I think the answer is simple: active people eventually get older and remain active.

I joined a few old guy rides through a chance meeting with one of the old guys.

Every year the head old guy led his birthday ride - distance and elevation to match his year. The last one was 72/7200. Sadly he passed this year - fell off a ladder - different discussion there. BTW these guys are rolling on carbon, electric, deep section carbon wheels and some on discs.

b33
12-03-2018, 01:16 PM
As a retired old geezer I'm still putting my butt on a bike and turn over the cranks. Mile mileage is decent, not like 100k in 16 years, but I can keep up on a good club ride. Some pounds have been coming on, but life is to be enjoyed. I'm not "live fast die you", but I do live at the church of Hunter S. Thompson

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

bobswire
12-03-2018, 01:19 PM
Cycling along with a healthy diet saved my life, IMO. I'll be 74 in March and at my weight out of High School at 145 lbs. I'm very active, besides cycling I hike, jog and use a kick scooter to get around for short distances. In my early 40's I smoked, drank and was overweight , got up to 180 lbs and could barely run a block without trying to catch my breath and borderline alcoholic. Anyway to make a long story short I went cold turkey, gave up the bad habits, got back into being active along with cycling being dominate and haven't looked back. No it's not easy and requires constant vigil not to fall back into bad habits (especially around the Holidays). Oh and I like shagging baseballs with my nephews.

BTW today had me thinking about this subject and age after having read about Paul Sherwen at his age, who looked to be in good health

paredown
12-03-2018, 01:20 PM
I've recently passed into the 'old gents' category, qualifying for Medicare last year. And while I did not do the mileage I would have liked this year, I can still get out for a hard 1-2 hr ride at a decent clip, so that's good.

I see a combination of things--it helps to have good genes/no family history of clearly gene-based health issues. Diet/alcohol consumption/smoking plays a big part--people who I know are eating/drinking/smoking themselves into an early grave. Stress/stress related illnesses started killing friends decades ago--so reduce stress. And definitely actively cycling keeps you fitter than if you surf the couch.

What being generally healthy also does for you is makes you better able to weather the "exogenous shocks" (to use an economist's term) that life may throw at you. In my case a fairly recent construction accident (broken back verts), a second serious fall while scrambling (lacerated kidney--holy hell that was painful!) was followed by actively working at recovery. For others it could be a serious fall at home or a car accident that puts you on the sidelines. You want your body to be in decent enough shape that the shock/pain/reaction doesn't kill or cripple you--because past certain age, it can happen, even with something like a serious bout of flu, if your body is already in bad shape.

My GP always teases me that he he wants my BP/heart rate/Cholesterol levels--no meds, no problems--and I'm pretty sure that those markers are a product of activity, diet and attitude. Keep active, keep moving, keep fighting--even if you don't actually manage to evade death, you get a lot more enjoyment out of the time you do get to enjoy!

gasman
12-03-2018, 01:23 PM
In my mid 60's it's a combination of factors.
I have pretty good genetics with longevity of many family members. More importantly I didn't inherit any bad genetic disorders. There's a scary number of genetic problems that significantly impacts' people's lives and ability to stay active.

I have always been active. For me the key is to never stop even for a period of a month. I had to 20 years ago when I had a detached retina and went nuts sitting around for a month and lost a ton of fitness that took a while to regain. But it returned.
I don't just ride though, I climb, hike, snowshoe, XC ski, swim, lift weights, etc. Not stopping is key for me. Doing something even on my rest days.

I have a couple ex-colleagues in their late 80's who have significant arthritis. One walks 10,000 steps a day the other spends an hour on his Peleton bike because his joints are destroyed from arthritis. One commented to me on Saturday night that he's in better shape than 80% of the people born in 1931.Then he said that's because 80 % of them have died.:eek:
That's the other key. Not dying.

sitzmark
12-03-2018, 01:25 PM
Physical fitness by whatever means begets riding ability. Riding regularly improves cycling/riding skill and performance.

I ski weekly with people in their 60s-80s. Most of the people I know in their 60s/70s are fit enough to casually ride a bike. Fitness level riding (however that might be defined) usually isn’t something older riders automatically excell at unless they participate in other cardio dependent activities. My parents have a number of friends actively playing tennis into their mid 80s and early 90s. Some ride/rode bikes casually but time away from the bike seems to lead to balance issues that are probably inevitable with advancing age. None are currently riding @90. On the other hand I ski with a guy who is 90+, has two knee replacements and a hip replacement - shuffles to walk but rips up the slopes (ex racer). What is typically considered “riding” is probably not in his wheelhouse, but...

Being heavily involved with an adaptive sports program as a volunteer instructor and donor, there are few levels of physical condition I see that prohibit someone from pursuing an activity given enough mental desire and possibly the use of adaptive equipment (at least to start).

Brother’s in-laws were cycling, hiking, and playing tennis until their late 80s when physical abnormalities limited range of motion. Unfortunately they chose to stop riding rather than use adaptive equipment. The psychological damage of believing they can no longer be active seems to be more detrimental than the aging process at this point.

Seramount
12-03-2018, 01:30 PM
was super-sickly as a kid (serious asthma, allergies). spent a lot of time indoors and hating it...

since my teens, have made a serious attempt to be active as possible. have been a dedicated swimmer and cyclist for a half-century. was a high-mileage runner for a decade...

never smoked, drink daily (but in moderation) never had any issues with weight, have a healthy diet.

at 66, so far this year I've logged 9,000 miles on the bike and 250,000 yards in the pool.

I ride and swim because I enjoy the activities, fitness is just a bennie...don't think I'd be nearly as motivated to grind out miles/yards to just stay in shape.

Kirk007
12-03-2018, 01:40 PM
Only 60 but feel some of those years. Definitely ride to stay fit and am fit (sorta) because I ride. If I don't ride (although guess other strenuous movement would work) I get very stiff (sports PT told me 20 years ago that I have very thick muscle fascia and either need to keep moving or end up like the tin man). Riding is also the best controller of my weight and blood glucose levels and with a family history of Diabetes that's something that I must control. My VO2 max is higher than the average 40 year old - gotta think that years of riding helps with that (although it didn't seem to be an obvious help on Mt. Ventoux this summer!).

Need to stretch more - trying to do 15-20 minutes of yoga positions each morning, and need to get back in the gym and lift, particularly for upper body strength.

I do find it harder to stay fit, and harder to stay motivated to put in the work, particularly this time of year. I don't like the cold and I don't particularly like the gym so I have an easy time finding excuses (work, home life) to skip workouts. This week it's supposed to be dry and low 40s so the plan is get out on the bike everyday. Helps to have a good goal - might need to schedule another bike trip for next summer.

I pay the price for inactivity much sooner than I used to. Use it or lose it, move or calcify - never been more true for me than today.

Keep riding Matt! I look at Velotel's ride reports as inspiration for keeping at it.

Matthew
12-03-2018, 02:19 PM
Both for me. Always been into fitness whether cycling, lifting weights, running, or hockey. Cycling is by far my biggest passion now but still lift weights almost every day. Can't imagine not doing something to stay fit. I am 51 now. Have a few riding buddies nearing 70 or at 70.+ Most can hang with the "fast" local groups. My main riding partner completed his first three triathlons this year. At 70 years old. Qualified for nationals. My inspiration!

Gummee
12-03-2018, 02:30 PM
My Dad died of congestive heart failure at 69. He was 6'0" and wore a 56" belt. He was about as big around as 2 of me.

I swore I'd never get over 200# and despite coming close, I think I've managed that. Takes effort to get out of the house sometimes.

I'm within 15-20# of my college graduation weight. Can't quite fit back into my BDUs, but I'm close. Don't plan on stopping running, riding, climbing, UW Hockey, etc till I physically can't do any of em any more.

M

jlwdm
12-03-2018, 02:45 PM
In addition to what has already been posted I believe attitude is really important. I am 71 but I do not consider myself old and do not see limits in what I can do. At my 50 year high school reunion I saw a lot of former classmates who looked and acted old. It is like they had made a decision that they were old, and give up on a lot of life.

I eat reasonably well, need to exercise more than I have been lately, but I dress well and hang out with younger people and people with positive attitudes.

State of mind is important.

Jeff

jpritchet74
12-03-2018, 02:55 PM
Both for me, but I am just 44. I have seen many examples of "use it or lose it" though so I intend to keep riding - but I do need to start with the weights....

cmg
12-03-2018, 03:00 PM
just turned 60. I fall into i'm fit because I ride. it keeps me motivated to be able to ride. the tranquility and the feeling of speed makes it fun. getting to the point that the group keeps talking about past rides/adventures during after ride lunches. hope to be doing it for as long as I can.

93KgBike
12-03-2018, 03:02 PM
Without exercise, I would be fat and dying, or dead.

When I finally got back into the pool after years of getting fat at a desk, it was because I had to.

Team sports and weight lifting were things of the past. I realized, "I hate the gym, I hate the smell of the weight room, I don't want to compete at exercise."

So I started commuting by bike and swimming in the evenings. My first day back in the pool was at a local college in their learn to swim class. It was the only way to get access to the nicest 50m pool in the area without joining a competitive group. I also hate flip-turning.

I LOVE swimming. LOVE IT. And I would swim a hundred miles a week if I could. I swam 75 laps every morning for a almost decade, until my second child arrived.

And since my second child arrived, I have had to choose. So I ride.

I ride because I LOVE riding bikes. Riding my bike reminds me that I want to be strong on my bike, so now I train myself to do hard rides, with style.

I have always been strong. But being fit requires hard work and maintenance. A resting heart rate in the low 50's doesn't come naturally to me.

makoti
12-03-2018, 03:31 PM
No question. Fit because I ride. If I didn't I'd be an old slug. NTTAWWT, mind you. (Don't want to offend slugs of any age)

SpokeValley
12-03-2018, 04:19 PM
I'm 65 and when I occasionally bunny hop the center of traffic circles (the path less taken :rolleyes:) I'm reminded how much fun the freedom of cycling is. And how something like that make me feel like a kid again. At least I can act like it. Oh, and I get to ride with "the young and the restless" and keep up.

Bonus! It keeps me fit. Mrs Valley, too.

Hindmost
12-03-2018, 04:31 PM
The Chain Life Expectancy Thread should be merged with this one.

cnighbor1
12-03-2018, 04:31 PM
At 82 still riding got into drop handlebars bicycles 1949
I get about 5000 miles in a year A lot of climbing
with riding and walking about 5 miles once a week is it for execise
A bit of pool time in the summer
A few indoor work out machines used a bit
So draw your own concussions

weisan
12-03-2018, 04:59 PM
I ride regularly with a bunch of retirees in their late 60s and early 70s. I am a baby by their standard, age-wise. I have personally witnessed the ups and downs within the group. There are triumphs - folks performing amazing feats like Chief pal) and there are disappointments - the same folks fallen to illness, accidents etc. It's a constant battle against time and tide, not something to be taken lightly or for granted.

Good genes help...a lot...but you still need to get up every day and do the work. That's where the mental fortitude comes in.

What I learned from them:

You have to keep fighting. Never give up. Take each day and every ride as a gift. Because they are. You never know what's going to happen tomorrow.

Johnnysmooth
12-03-2018, 05:18 PM
Turned 60 this yr - ride for simple love of it, but also admit doing so to stay in good shape for ski season. Use to race, enjoyed it, was particularly good when the road tilted up (may be my Colorado upbringing). Had to stop that when diagnosed with incurable cancer - that was 9yrs ago. Believe my desire to not let any little ol'diagnosis prevent me from riding (though have had some issues) as key to maintaining health.

Nature vs nurture?
Longevity runs in family - little in way of diseases except melanoma (no, not what I have)
On the nurture side, father stopped being a ski instructor at age 83 but still a very active, strong, fit man. Mother has had some joint issues, but still remains very active.

I plan to ride for as long as physically possible - no end in sight.

BryanE
12-03-2018, 05:27 PM
64 and entering my thirty sixth year of racing.
Ran my first 10k in 1983, my first mtn bike race in 1993.
Gave up running in 2010 to focus on mtn bike racing.
Keep moving. Creaky with arthritis in hands from that Niner carbon fork I still am doing better than most sixty somethings.

Clancy
12-03-2018, 05:35 PM
So I’m much fitter at 66 than maybe 3/4 guys my age? Resting hr 58, 5’8”, 147lbs, 5-6% body fat, super low cholesterol.

Been actively and passionately riding since my teens.

So cycling has certainly kept me fit BUt also has caused many long term injuries that I now live with.

Impacted shoulders (2x procedures, both)
4 back surgeries including a 4 level fusion - MTB which I had to give up
All of my chest muscles have tightened up over the years, my upper back muscles have stretched so my shoulders are constantly rounded forward. This has resulted in a pinched nerve in my neck and accompanying migraines.
My lower back muscles have stretched so I always walk hunched over like an old man.

This doesn’t even include the numerous falls, saddle sores etc.

So at 66 I’m going to physical therapy 2-3x a week and I’ve learned to walk upright and bring my shoulders in a-line. My problems are slowly going away but I’m still off bikes due to the pinched nerve in my neck.

The saddest part of all this is had I put in 1/10 of the time into weights and yoga That I spent riding I would not have any of the above issues. I have been my own worse disease.

And of course if I sat at a desk for 40nyears w/o activity I’d have all kinds of joint/muscle issues. Or played league BB, etc.

Young men/women have the opportunity to do it right, with diet, yoga, weights.

Me, I was a dumbass and am paying the price.

But as soon as I can I’m back on the bike until I can no longer ride.

Ralph
12-03-2018, 06:03 PM
I'm 77, still trying to get in 100-125 miles per week, plus go to gym other days. Still kinda fit, thin, and can usually "hang" with packs of somewhat younger riders.

However.....it's getting harder and harder to do. Orthopedic Doc says I have some degeneration in lower back and butt. Having more and more problems with saddle. So it's not the legs and heart going first. So sometimes you "CAN'T" ride to stay fit.

Believe soon will start doing my cardio in GYM on recumbent, elliptical machine, and treadmill, plus the weights. And just get in the miles my butt will allow.

Or.....get a recumbent or trike and join some of the large groups around here that ride those on some of the long almost deserted paved trails around here. They seem to have a great time.

Ride all you can now.....how you get and keep your fitness can change with age.

Elefantino
12-03-2018, 06:18 PM
I'm 60 with an 80-year-old back but ride as often as I can. If I don't ride I'll probably die sooner rather than later.

Aside: I am 27 days older than SoCalSteve.

OtayBW
12-03-2018, 06:35 PM
I'll be 64 in a couple of weeks, and in not too shabby of a shape (unfortunately, lessened somewhat by a fairly nasty commute and schedule here lately...). Commonly told that I do not look my age at all which is cool. I have also outlived my father by 13 years (so far!), so I'd like to think that this is the effect of the riding. I don't ride to stay in shape; I ride just for the fun of it....

wc1934
12-03-2018, 06:44 PM
By definition everyone on this board has a passion for an active lifestyle, whether cycling or other. Members may or may not be at their ideal weight, yet still they "ride" and are active.

As time goes by same members become "old guys". I think the answer is simple: active people eventually get older and remain active.

I joined a few old guy rides through a chance meeting with one of the old guys.

Every year the head old guy led his birthday ride - distance and elevation to match his year. The last one was 72/7200. Sadly he passed this year - fell off a ladder - different discussion there. BTW these guys are rolling on carbon, electric, deep section carbon wheels and some on discs.

Totally agree as that seems to characterize my situation. However, as an aside, the muscle loss that accompanies aging is somewhat disheartening.

Chief
12-03-2018, 07:11 PM

I ride to stay fit and thankful that I can ride. I don't know how I would handle the situation if I couldn't ride. One think for sure, I will need to change my eating habits from continuous to something more moderate. I need to address the loss of upper body strength as I age. I see guys about my age or younger who are way out of shape and I think but for the grace of God there goes me.
:bike:

m4rk540
12-03-2018, 07:47 PM
I see guys about my age or younger who are way out of shape and I think but for the grace of God there goes me.
:bike:

I always imagined the 80s paradigm to not be a fit/unfit binary but more about being free of chronic or degenerative conditions. To be 85 and not on multiple drugs and surgery-free is my idea of being a good health billionaire. Oh, and a healthy intellect.

clyde the point
12-03-2018, 08:01 PM
Hunter S. Thompson. Yeah I lived that life through 10 totaled cars, and several hospitalizations from car wrecks. It didn't really work for me. The worst was turning 24 in Northside Hospital in Atl. Broken femur, pelvis, right arm. Blind in left eye. Stainless rod in leg. Coke, booze, weed, quaaludes, ecstasy. Yep, punk rock, 80's live tough die young. Almost did on several occasions. I am still heavy (240), but ride several times weekly and no one believes I am 58, they say mid 40's at the most. Been sober almost 23 years (in 10 days). Fortunately have been married 1x for almost 29 years. Hard noggin some say. I have eastern euro heritage so strong back weak mind. Started riding when a DUI cost me my license at 19. Had ridden a lot as a youth, but that's another story for another thread. Any other teenage mental ward attendees? I might get in 5k a year or so, but don't count it and enjoy all disciplines of cycling. My recovery from above wreck was 100% on the bike once I could get my leg over it. Cycling saved my life in more ways than one.

2LeftCleats
12-03-2018, 08:01 PM
I'm 67. Never a competitive runner or cyclist. Ran from teens until 64, when the knees said "no". Being active is just part of who I am. Society wants us to slow down and 'act our age', but it's wonderful to see folks pushing the boundaries and demonstrating that you don't need to follow that script. The near daily exercise has kept me younger mentally and physically. My expectations remain high, but it feels like my body conspires against me. Orthopedic and medical issues limit my potential, so what my body allows tempers what the mind wants, and each impediment is a challenge requiring a creative solution.

SoCalSteve
12-03-2018, 09:02 PM
I'm 60 with an 80-year-old back but ride as often as I can. If I don't ride I'll probably die sooner rather than later.

Aside: I am 27 days older than SoCalSteve.

Old man!!!

But seriously, I just went through a bit of a “thing” with a bout of afib. Had numerous tests, including an echo and an angiogram. Turns out I’m pretty darn healthy!

I do chalk it up to cycling and being married to a woman 17 years my junior. But that’s a whole other story.

Anyway, as an aside, I have found that CBD oil has really helped my sciatica pain and the residual pain from my knee replacement surgery. It may not be for everyone, but it sure makes my cycling and general all around well being much more enjoyable. Your results may vary.

Great thread, thanks to everyone for chining in. Incredibly inspirational.

Steve

joosttx
12-03-2018, 11:01 PM
My Dad at 74 rides a recumbent tricycle and swims. He is in great shape and very sharp. He claims he takes naps in the pool when doing laps. I kinda believe him. And doesnt care who makes fun of him on his bike.

My Uncle-in-law is a former Navy Seal he is 71.a couple of years ago we vacationed with his family on the OBX where his old Navy Seal buddies reunite. They do an annual hour swim in the ocean and other totally bro stuff and then make fun of each other like 20 year olds do. One of the seal was 78 and he was still cut. I mean this Seal had a six pack at 78. Of course he beat all the other guys at their games. He told me he workout everyday of he life since 16 except for 4 days.

Louis
12-03-2018, 11:13 PM
He told me he workout everyday of he life since 16 except for 4 days.

I can't imagine the amount of drive and dedication it would take to do that, to say nothing about having a body that could take that sort of continuous effort.

PSC
12-04-2018, 12:25 AM
Just turned 54 and in a fight with father time every day. I do a varied workout routine, with 150-200 miles a week on the bike. Still run a sub 6 min mile and am pretty much pain free. Seems most people who have responded on this form are in a similar boat, which is awesome, hope I get there too!

weisan
12-04-2018, 02:17 AM
timely

https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/toolbox/toolbox-offseason-for-the-masters-cyclist/

velotel
12-04-2018, 03:09 AM
Obviously genes have a huge role but a body ignored and abused is like parking a 275 GTB outside near the ocean and leaving it there for years. It’ll always be a Ferrari but attempting to return it into what it was won’t happen.

I’ve been lucky. Born with an athletic body and an intelligent enough mind (but not so much that it’s ever threatened my joy in being alive and definitely never overused though perhaps at times a bit abused), born into a post-war middle class family in a society rich with doors to open, and in some totally mysterious manner gifted with a sort of hernia or tumor that at the last instant miraculously kept me from being drafted and sent off to Vietnam to become some drugged out soldier flopping around in the rice fields until I od’d on drugs or on a mine.

But above all else where chance took me in her arms and gave me some serious mind-bending love was when I discovered skiing. Saved my life. Discovered the joy of living and dancing on the edge. Also where I discovered how cool smoking pot and skiing can be. Skiing is where I discovered the marvel that the human body can be. Also that just like with the 275 GTB, if you want the maximum performance you sure as hell better take care of it.

But far beyond the actual skiing bit, the greatest discovery was the spiritual and physical high skiing on the edge can generate. Even better that high isn’t the result of skiing but of the body attaining a level of performance where suddenly you’re in another world, in a tunnel of pure focus, feeling and riding this wave where your entire being is in perfect harmony with the moment.

That kind of state can be achieved through meditation, music, etc. but my path has been and still is physical activity, first skiing, then rock climbing, then running, then biking, then running again, then mountain biking, and finally biking again.

Attaining that state for me only happens with a physique in form. And since I love slipping into that state, keeping the body tuned is a priority.

I also hate exercise. Boring as hell, Forty years ago one winter I joined the athletic club that had recently opened in Crested Butte, thought some program with weights and machines would be good for me. Didn’t last a week. The only thing interesting was watching the women doing aerobics in rather revealing costumes. Which got boring too so that was that for my exercise trial.

I just ride my bike. Some training program could probably provide me with all kinds of benes but I’m not interested. My time on the bike and the time I have left in my life is limited so I don’t have time for training. I just ride. On average 4, 5 times a week all year, mostly short rides, an hour and a half or so, but intense, like full throttle start to finish. Note full throttle refers to my effort, not the speed with which I advance. Once a week I like to do a bigger ride, like 3, maybe 4 hours, sometimes more. Always climbs. Or almost always.

I also almost always burn a bowl before rolling off. Just a wee pinch. Doesn’t make me any faster, or I don’t think it does but then again I don’t pay attention to that anyway. The bowl simply compliments the effects my physical efforts have on my brain and soul, creating this symphony where I’m lost in the rhythm and movement, riding the wave.

In other words my incentive to stay in shape has nothing to do with a desire to ride my bike (or ski or climb when I used to do those) but to slide into that state of joy when my body’s caught the wave. The bike and the places I ride my bike are the instruments that carry me into that state and the only damn way I’m going to be able to get there is if my body’s in shape.

So for over fifty years now I’ve paid attention to what I eat (mostly organic), drunk good wine and single malt but in relative moderation (though by today’s medical standards I drink way too much, which apparently is more than one glass a day by their thinking! Bunch of mad hatters in the medical world today), do thirty, forty minutes of yoga and exercises every morning.

And ride, in beautiful places and thanks to my wonderful StonerBike on dirt roads and single-tracks that concentrate the energy.

But like I said, the incentive isn’t riding the bike, even though I love riding a bike. It’s that sublime state riding the bike creates, the joy of feeling good on the bike and feeling the muscles driving it forward, feeling the thrill of plunging down off some col, carving turns, riding gravity. It’s like being a kid again. That’s the incentive that keeps me fit and feeling way younger than my years.

soulspinner
12-04-2018, 06:08 AM
62 and the doc that did my hip replacement was surprised my nerves stretched almost an inch at my age. He referenced my cycling all these years as a contributing factor.

oldpotatoe
12-04-2018, 06:21 AM
Old man!!!

But seriously, I just went through a bit of a “thing” with a bout of afib. Had numerous tests, including an echo and an angiogram. Turns out I’m pretty darn healthy!

I do chalk it up to cycling and being married to a woman 17 years my junior. But that’s a whole other story.

Anyway, as an aside, I have found that CBD oil has really helped my sciatica pain and the residual pain from my knee replacement surgery. It may not be for everyone, but it sure makes my cycling and general all around well being much more enjoyable. Your results may vary.

Great thread, thanks to everyone for chining in. Incredibly inspirational.

Steve

68 in about 3 weeks here and I think being a runner and then riding a bike, keeps one 'young', both mentally and physically. Another thing I'm rediscovering is that, WhoTheFarge cares how fast or how far?..The object of the ride is the ride and I really don't care if I get passed, while riding or while stopped and sipping a latte. I look forward to pedaling, even if it's a 'bike path bounce around'.

BUT, I had some episodes of afib about 10 years ago and what it did is get me thru a zillion$ heart eval and workup..from monitors worn to Nuke stress test to echo's to all sorts of tests to see that..I have a healthy heart that's aging slower than the rest of me:eek:..Gotta save those heart beats(resting, while running was in high 30s)!!
My brother, who died when he was 67, 3 years older than me, couldn't walk up a flight of stairs w/o stopping..so yup, doing something..riding, walking, running, rowing, something..helps keeps you 'fit', so you're 'fit' enough to do 'it'..

Ralph
12-04-2018, 06:31 AM
68 in about 3 weeks here and I think being a runner and then riding a bike, keeps one 'young', both mentally and physically. Another thing I'm rediscovering is that, WhoTheFarge cares how fast or how far?..The object of the ride is the ride and I really don't care if I get passed, while riding or while stopped and sipping a latte. I look forward to pedaling, even if it's a 'bike path bounce around'.

BUT, I had some episodes of afib about 10 years ago and what it did is get me thru a zillion$ heart eval and workup..from monitors worn to Nuke stress test to echo's to all sorts of tests to see that..I have a healthy heart that's aging slower than the rest of me:eek:..Gotta save those heart beats(resting, while running was in high 30s)!!
My brother, who died when he was 67, 3 years older than me, couldn't walk up a flight of stairs w/o stopping..so yup, doing something..riding, walking, running, rowing, something..helps keeps you 'fit', so you're 'fit' enough to do 'it'..

This is kinda the conundrum.....we exercise to stay fit as we age. Especially when we are way older. And if you are not fit....you can't exercise. So you justt gotta keep going, do something, because if you stop....it's hard to regain a fitness level.

victoryfactory
12-04-2018, 07:17 AM
Us old guys all have lost friends and cycling/hiking/traveling companions at this point. Luck of the draw. I don't think we control our own destiny really. I've seen too many fitter people than me go down.
Either way, It's a true joy and a blessing to be able to still get out there. I'll be 68 this winter and every spring I wonder if it's still doable. And every spring (so far) it's an indescribable joy to find I can still do it (a little less and a little slower). In winter I usually stick to hiking.

oldpotatoe
12-04-2018, 07:23 AM
This is kinda the conundrum.....we exercise to stay fit as we age. Especially when we are way older. And if you are not fit....you can't exercise. So you justt gotta keep going, do something, because if you stop....it's hard to regain a fitness level.

Not me, I 'exercise'(ride), cuz I like it..being kinda 'fit' is a nice benefit but I do it mostly cuz I like it..'Mechanical meditation'..why I don't care where, when, how fast or how far(and also why I ride by myself)....

I think the real conundrum is doing something day in and day out...just to stay 'fit' and it's no fun...

Lewis Moon
12-04-2018, 07:27 AM
I'm still a kid (61), and quite frankly, I feel and hopefully act like it. I hate to see older people who put the things of youth behind them. You don't start growing old until you grow up. I still love to hammer out of the saddle for no good reason. I still go out of my way to bunny hop random road debris. I still sprint for KOMs...
I still love it.

Cycling saves my life, every day.

thwart
12-04-2018, 08:20 AM
Obviously...

... the incentive isn’t riding the bike, even though I love riding a bike. It’s that sublime state riding the bike creates, the joy of feeling good on the bike and feeling the muscles driving it forward, feeling the thrill of plunging down off some col, carving turns, riding gravity. It’s like being a kid again. That’s the incentive that keeps me fit and feeling way younger than my years.

Great post.

XXtwindad
12-04-2018, 08:56 AM
Obviously genes have a huge role but a body ignored and abused is like parking a 275 GTB outside near the ocean and leaving it there for years. It’ll always be a Ferrari but attempting to return it into what it was won’t happen.

I’ve been lucky. Born with an athletic body and an intelligent enough mind (but not so much that it’s ever threatened my joy in being alive and definitely never overused though perhaps at times a bit abused), born into a post-war middle class family in a society rich with doors to open, and in some totally mysterious manner gifted with a sort of hernia or tumor that at the last instant miraculously kept me from being drafted and sent off to Vietnam to become some drugged out soldier flopping around in the rice fields until I od’d on drugs or on a mine.

But above all else where chance took me in her arms and gave me some serious mind-bending love was when I discovered skiing. Saved my life. Discovered the joy of living and dancing on the edge. Also where I discovered how cool smoking pot and skiing can be. Skiing is where I discovered the marvel that the human body can be. Also that just like with the 275 GTB, if you want the maximum performance you sure as hell better take care of it.

But far beyond the actual skiing bit, the greatest discovery was the spiritual and physical high skiing on the edge can generate. Even better that high isn’t the result of skiing but of the body attaining a level of performance where suddenly you’re in another world, in a tunnel of pure focus, feeling and riding this wave where your entire being is in perfect harmony with the moment.

That kind of state can be achieved through meditation, music, etc. but my path has been and still is physical activity, first skiing, then rock climbing, then running, then biking, then running again, then mountain biking, and finally biking again.

Attaining that state for me only happens with a physique in form. And since I love slipping into that state, keeping the body tuned is a priority.

I also hate exercise. Boring as hell, Forty years ago one winter I joined the athletic club that had recently opened in Crested Butte, thought some program with weights and machines would be good for me. Didn’t last a week. The only thing interesting was watching the women doing aerobics in rather revealing costumes. Which got boring too so that was that for my exercise trial.

I just ride my bike. Some training program could probably provide me with all kinds of benes but I’m not interested. My time on the bike and the time I have left in my life is limited so I don’t have time for training. I just ride. On average 4, 5 times a week all year, mostly short rides, an hour and a half or so, but intense, like full throttle start to finish. Note full throttle refers to my effort, not the speed with which I advance. Once a week I like to do a bigger ride, like 3, maybe 4 hours, sometimes more. Always climbs. Or almost always.

I also almost always burn a bowl before rolling off. Just a wee pinch. Doesn’t make me any faster, or I don’t think it does but then again I don’t pay attention to that anyway. The bowl simply compliments the effects my physical efforts have on my brain and soul, creating this symphony where I’m lost in the rhythm and movement, riding the wave.

In other words my incentive to stay in shape has nothing to do with a desire to ride my bike (or ski or climb when I used to do those) but to slide into that state of joy when my body’s caught the wave. The bike and the places I ride my bike are the instruments that carry me into that state and the only damn way I’m going to be able to get there is if my body’s in shape.

So for over fifty years now I’ve paid attention to what I eat (mostly organic), drunk good wine and single malt but in relative moderation (though by today’s medical standards I drink way too much, which apparently is more than one glass a day by their thinking! Bunch of mad hatters in the medical world today), do thirty, forty minutes of yoga and exercises every morning.

And ride, in beautiful places and thanks to my wonderful StonerBike on dirt roads and single-tracks that concentrate the energy.

But like I said, the incentive isn’t riding the bike, even though I love riding a bike. It’s that sublime state riding the bike creates, the joy of feeling good on the bike and feeling the muscles driving it forward, feeling the thrill of plunging down off some col, carving turns, riding gravity. It’s like being a kid again. That’s the incentive that keeps me fit and feeling way younger than my years.

This is an outstanding piece on so many different levels. Namely :

1) Socioeconomic status determines a lot in life. The fact that Velotel acknowledged this speaks volumes.

2) When, as a society, people become divorced from the necessity of movement, they start calling it "exercise." Which is inherently distinct from us, and therefore unpleasant. This was another great point Velotel raised.

Keep up the good work! Great thread!

victoryfactory
12-04-2018, 09:19 AM
"Because it feels like flying"

- From a Bicycling Magazine Article on Why do you ride? many years ago

redir
12-04-2018, 09:33 AM
I'm getting there, but not there yet. But my dad is about to turn 80 and for the last ten years has done nothing but sit, drink too much, eat too much, gain too much weight, and now can't walk without a cane and cannot walk too far. The only exercise I ever remember my dad doing was playing softball with the guys and that always meant drinking lots of beer afterwards. I love the guy, I really do, but I don't want to end up like that... So I ride.

My father in law on the other had, he's 81 and still hikes in the mountains of Colorado like he's 51.

It's a matter of will. Just don't ever stop. Once you do you start that backwards slide.

ls1togo
12-04-2018, 09:35 AM
Close to 72..ride for fun and quiet time, generally 5-6K annually. I won't hit 5k this year (a little more than 4K) as I'm fighting some lower back disc degeneration which came on suddenly about a month ago and it's created a new pre-ride regimen of various stretches, some light weight routines and a slight rise increase in my stems. That said, my goal is to ride until I can't anymore, whenever that is...

alancw3
12-04-2018, 09:39 AM
i am 71 years old and i still ride to add another dimension to keeping fit. i also swim laps and do a lot of walking and workout room machines. one thing that i have found is that i am now gravitating towards wider tires. that is why i am now thinking of a gravel or cyclone cross bike probably as my last bike. i don't see me using 23cm tires again. more like 40 cm tires. which is alright as long as i can still ride and feel invigorated. one of my goals as i age is to not use any meds until i am 80. we will see if i achieve that! since i have had to move up here from florida i can see my health/physical fitness declining but hey family is important also.
oh and a great thread!!

AngryScientist
12-04-2018, 09:54 AM
Luck and genes play a huge role.

My dad will be 94 next week. Still in pretty good shape, but up until he was about 92 - was in phenomenal shape. Helped me put a roof on my house when he was 89. was still running the snowblower and shoveling a big chunk of property into his 90's. when he was in his mid 80's he could have kicked most 20YO's asses.

My dad never paid ANY attention to his diet. He also never engaged in any type of structured exercise or weight control programs. he was just a naturally fit guy who stayed slim naturally, and stayed in good cardio shape by doing regular things.

he still smokes a cigar once in a while, drinks beer and wine regularly, and eats greasy hamburgers with a smile.

he's slowing down majorly these days, but at 94, i'm not sure how much gas is left in anyone's tank.

that exact lifestyle would kill many other people at 65.

luck and genes.

victoryfactory
12-04-2018, 10:07 AM
Chapeau to your dad!

SoCalSteve
12-04-2018, 10:57 AM
Not me, I 'exercise'(ride), cuz I like it..being kinda 'fit' is a nice benefit but I do it mostly cuz I like it..'Mechanical meditation'..why I don't care where, when, how fast or how far(and also why I ride by myself)....

I think the real conundrum is doing something day in and day out...just to stay 'fit' and it's no fun...

Old spud, I’d ride with you anytime! I like your style-attitude! Not sure you would ride with me though...I mean, with the SRAM and all...:eek::no::confused::)

Elefantino
12-04-2018, 11:18 AM
I believe - and I have no data to back this up beyond anecdotes - that many of us oldsters ride Serottas.

Whether there is a causation between the ability to ride into your golden years and Ben's bikes, I don't know.

But there probably is.

Mr. Pink
12-04-2018, 12:30 PM
I'm 66, and I believe I'm in shape because, yes, I ride a lot, but also do a lot of strength work, hiking, and now swimming laps. I ski in winter, but that keeps my mind in shape more than my other outdoor activities. Winter blues can be a killer, which I see in some biking buds. They are suddenly depressed a bit with the cold weather.

I also "retired" four years ago, which has vastly increased my physical health, because I'm no longer sitting most of my life, and working out much more.

Hawker
12-04-2018, 02:03 PM
I'm 69. Five years ago I had "the big one". I weighed 130 lbs and rode my bike 25 miles on Friday and had the heart attack on Saturday. Five bypasses, four of them failed the first month and then four stents a month later.

I've been riding for about forty years and also used to run a lot. HOWEVER, I had very high cholesterol that was inherited and had a very hard time bringing it down. That is what did me in and the doctors told me it would. But after three years of trying just about all the statins I sort of gave up and decided that keeping my weight down and exercise up would keep me healthy. It did not.

I'm still battling the Cholesterol and still can only bring it down marginally. I ride because I enjoy it and "hope" it will help.

PS: I never drank or smoked. When they let me go they were chagrined that they didn't "have anything to tell me to stop doing". Shoot, I looked better than most of the doctors. Just bad genes.

AngryScientist
12-04-2018, 02:07 PM
is there an agreed upon age at which you are considered an "old guy"...??

asking for a friend :banana:

Hawker
12-04-2018, 02:12 PM
I believe - and I have no data to back this up beyond anecdotes - that many of us oldsters ride Serottas.

Whether there is a causation between the ability to ride into your golden years and Ben's bikes, I don't know.

But there probably is.

Hmmm, if I can sell this to the wife, I can probably get her to sign off on this as a medical necessity.

Who has a 49cm for sale?

jr59
12-04-2018, 02:15 PM

If you have to ask....:cool:

Hawker
12-04-2018, 02:46 PM

Yep. Short term memory. When you walk into a room and then ask....

Uh, what was the question again?

Matthew
12-04-2018, 03:21 PM
If you ask any kid or teen, we are all likely old to them. Even those in their 30's.

Johnnysmooth
12-04-2018, 04:10 PM

Wow Velotel - we are on the same astral plain - couldn't have said it better myself as to my own motivations, though for me, skiing still rules - being on that fine edge, dropping down a steep and deep through the trees is other-worldly, mind-bending experience I never tire of.

OtayBW
12-04-2018, 05:35 PM

Noope. Depends on who you ask.

Ask a Millenial, and I suspect you're likely to hear something in the ~40s-50s.
Ask a Boomer, and it will likely be: 60s-70s.
Ask my 48 yo gf, and you might hear something like "come back to bed, honey"!!! HAR! :banana::banana::banana:

The more important question (for your frind), I think, is at what age are you considered to be an "Old Fart"?

572cv
12-04-2018, 06:52 PM
I’m also in good shape because I ride, and in the winter xc ski. I also use the rollers and a wind trainer, and the Concept 2, in the winter. And I scull when I have a chance or the inclination. The riding started out as a way to keep fit after my knees started to bother me, and simply became a joy. I raced for a while, as did my wife (she was much better). But we kept riding because it makes one feel better, because we can and because we like to do it together and separately. And because we can set goals and train for trips to places like France. I’m still working and can’t get out as much as I’d like, but I manage 2500 plus miles a year, maybe a bit more. I have a higher goal, and less work, for next year. I’ll keep doing it as long as I can, and maybe I can still be a mini-Chief (not so many miles, but a lot of spirit) when I’m 81. I turned 68 at the end of the summer.
Riding with my wife led to a wonderful opportunity this year... a little cottage we found in France, where the riding is just great. I like to keep putting those carrots out front, and go for them. I owe a great deal to my bike habit, and in return it makes me feel really good. What a bargain.

wc1934
12-04-2018, 07:46 PM

Reminded me of the book "Running with Raven" - guy ran 8 miles every day for 40+ years. -

https://books.google.com/books/about/Running_with_Raven.html?id=19TGDAAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button#v=onepage&q&f=false

https://thenewtropic.com/raven-runner-south-beach/

HenryA
12-04-2018, 08:16 PM
While I have a few minor things go wrong health wise from time to time, the doctors just shoo me away because none of them are typical old age problems. Apparently, an old, slightly fat cyclist fits in at the top of the charts when compared to Joe Public.

My back is a wreck, but well earned. Regular exercise (riding especially) and movement keeps it loose. And I can’t remember a ride where I didn’t come back happier and feeling better than when I left.

As best as I can tell, you can outride the grim reaper for quite some time. At least I hope so. He’s gonna have to catch me.

Rpoole8537
12-04-2018, 08:59 PM
While I have a few minor things go wrong health wise from time to time, the doctors just shoo me away because none of them are typical old age problems. Apparently, an old, slightly fat cyclist fits in at the top of the charts when compared to Joe Public.

My back is a wreck, but well earned. Regular exercise (riding especially) and movement keeps it loose. And I can’t remember a ride where I didn’t come back happier and feeling better than when I left.

As best as I can tell, you can outride the grim reaper for quite some time. At least I hope so. He’s gonna have to catch me.

I get the same treatment from the doctors that I see! I'm 63, and I did have Afib a few years ago after running and riding for 35 years. Ablation took care of it, and I did slow down a bit. I always leave the doctor's office thinking, Am I a hypochondriac"? LOL

metalheart
12-04-2018, 09:01 PM
I'm 74, I ride 5-6k a year and climb about 300k plus depending on the year. I could ride more, but I have other interests and obligations and this amount of riding fits with the rest of my life. I enjoy this much riding and I enjoy the health benefits it brings to my particular situation. I am humbled each time I look at the Strava 70+ club and see what others are doing.

I have been active most of my life, but there was a period of time when work overtook the rest of my life and my health collided with my genetics and I had two heart attacks, five years a part. After the last one the surgeon commented, " I will see you again, next time it will be for bypass surgery." Thanks doc, gives me something to look forward to and to keep in mind as i live the rest of my life.

Anyway, I have two knee replacements, some upcoming shoulder surgery -- a second repair of a torn bicep tendon from overdoing it in the gym -- but I will be back on the bike as soon as I can. Since my second heart attack, I just do what I can do and I always make sure when I leave for a ride that my stuff is in order. I can't imagine not riding or doing something physical because it has been part of my life for more than it has not. I like being on the road with myself. I used to run, but that does not work anymore, and swimming is inconvenient.

I do look forward to many things in life, but with some hindsight that there are no guarantees for tomorrow. Cycling is one of those experiences for me like climbing or surfing when you can just be in the moment and everything else fades away, that whole "Flow" experience that Mihaly Csikszentmihaly developed so well in his work.

Foe me, aging is adapting to the physical limitations that come with old parts wearing out, but continuing to do what I can do with the best attitude I can bring to it. Keep pedaling.

SoCalSteve
12-04-2018, 09:04 PM
I get the same treatment from the doctors that I see! I'm 63, and I did have Afib a few years ago after running and riding for 35 years. Ablation took care of it, and I did slow down a bit. I always leave the doctor's office thinking, Am I a hypochondriac"? LOL

I love your signature line! "There is no perfectionism on the road to contentment."

`Very Richard Carlson. He is the guy who wrote: Don’t sweat the small stuff ( and it’s all small stuff )...:hello:

seanile
12-04-2018, 09:33 PM
I love your signature line! "There is no perfectionism on the road to contentment."

`Very Richard Carlson. He is the guy who wrote: Don’t sweat the small stuff ( and it’s all small stuff )...:hello:or, 'don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.'

oldpotatoe
12-05-2018, 06:31 AM
Old spud, I’d ride with you anytime! I like your style-attitude! Not sure you would ride with me though...I mean, with the SRAM and all...:eek::no::confused::)

you'd be surprised...:)I don't gotta use it..

merckxman
12-05-2018, 09:22 AM
71, ride 5-6k a year, last year 275,000 feet of elevation gain. My goal is to do some form of exercise every day which include weight training, rowing on a Concept 2, riding rollers, and having a few different bikes to keep things entertaining on the road, and some trail riding.

redir
12-05-2018, 01:25 PM
This just popped up on my FB feed. I want to be this guy when/if I am his age.

https://www.facebook.com/CycleRepublicUK/videos/773190799681469/

Hawker
12-05-2018, 04:17 PM
This just popped up on my FB feed. I want to be this guy when/if I am his age.

https://www.facebook.com/CycleRepublicUK/videos/773190799681469/

Nice. More than likely he's better than "just ok" for his age.

classtimesailer
12-06-2018, 11:43 AM
I ride because I have some pretty nice bikes. If I didn't ride, I would probably sell them. I need to stay fit so that I can ride so that I can keep my nice bicycles.

TRUE THAT.

(My dad, who is 86, rides 10 miles daily on a stationary bike these days as his balance is a little off with knees that should have been replaced long ago and a replaced hip. His doc says that when he stops riding, he will stop living.)

Whit51
12-06-2018, 01:13 PM
Riding helps me stay in shape. I supplement it with free weights, walking, and the eliptical machine when it is too cold, wet or dark to ride. Without cycling my fitness would have taken a big hit when I quit running a few years ago.

OtayBW
12-06-2018, 05:03 PM
I ride because I have some pretty nice bikes. If I didn't ride, I would probably sell them. I need to stay fit so that I can ride so that I can keep my nice bicycles.

TRUE THAT.

(My dad, who is 86, rides 10 miles daily on a stationary bike these days as his balance is a little off with knees that should have been replaced long ago and a replaced hip. His doc says that when he stops riding, he will stop living.)That's a good signature line, there for the plucking...

verbs4us
12-06-2018, 05:35 PM

If you remember listening to Paul McCartney when he was in another group before he was in Wings, you're an old guy.

biker72
12-06-2018, 06:30 PM
If you're old enough to have voted for Richard Nixon 3 times you qualify as an old guy....:)

thwart
12-06-2018, 06:58 PM
If you're old enough to have voted for Richard Nixon 3 times you qualify as an old guy....:)

1960 election... yeah, that certainly qualifies as old.

And if you admit to voting for him three times... well...

;)

wc1934
12-06-2018, 07:01 PM

1972: Don't blame me, I'm from Massachusetts.

biker72
12-07-2018, 07:07 AM
1960 election... yeah, that certainly qualifies as old.

And if you admit to voting for him three times... well...

;)

1960, 1968 and 1972.....:)
Since then I've voted for a few Democrats too.

Ralph
12-07-2018, 07:25 AM

As I recall.....I did the same.

thwart
12-07-2018, 08:02 AM

Ah, with age comes wisdom.

;)

William
12-07-2018, 08:35 AM
Eh??? whatdidyousaysonny? http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/banana/t0201.gif

William

Hindmost
12-07-2018, 11:36 AM

What if he was your commander-in-chief?

jet sanchez
12-07-2018, 01:23 PM
My mom is 81 and quite spry, taking long walks almost every day and volunteering once a week. She worked as a nurse for 45 years and always told us kids that "You can get old or you can get fat but you can't do both". That has stuck with me and has made a pretty big difference in my lifestyle choices.

2metalhips
12-07-2018, 03:26 PM
My mom is 81 and quite spry, taking long walks almost every day and volunteering once a week. She worked as a nurse for 45 years and always told us kids that "You can get old or you can get fat but you can't do both". That has stuck with me and has made a pretty big difference in my lifestyle choices.

I love that quote and it is really true today, many people walking/waddling around today won't make it out of their 50's.

quattro
12-07-2018, 07:13 PM
well, I've been cycling since I was 13 years old, hit 60 in March. Was a runner for 35+ years, a couple of chips in my knees, nothing serious until I hit 54 years old.
-Total Hip replacement 2012, don't run any longer.
-Spleen removal, blew up to size of a watermelon, still don't know why, was diagnosed with Splenec marginal zone Lymphoma, after removal of spleen and tipsy, no cancer! Now my diagnosis is an undiagnosed immune disorder.
-Fast forward one year, lymph nodes swelling in arm pits, groin and neck, diagnosis, non-hodgkin's lymphoma. RCHOP chemotherapy for 3 months, total remission.
-Fast forward two and a half years later, work out every day, ride 4-5 days in the warm weather and 2-3 on the trainer in the winter, gym workouts 3-4 days.
So, I guess I got some bad genes somewhere along the line, although my mom who has also had a hip and knee replacement along with an aorta valve replacement is 96 years old and has al of her marbles, so there's hope!
Without cycling, not sure where I'd be, it has gotten me through all of these illnesses, the thrill of getting back on the bike was my magic elixir.

Be well, enjoy life, hug your kids, ride your bike.

quattro

bigbill
12-08-2018, 12:38 PM
27 years in the military and 20 deployments aged me. I'm 53 but I feel like I'm actually improving now after physically bottoming out a few years ago. I started doing boot camp classes which build core strength and flexibility and it's made a world of difference. I was exclusively a cyclist with some situps and pushups thrown in a few times a week. My flexibility and range of motion beyond what was required to ride a bike had seriously degraded. Now I'm doing three days a week of boot camp and 3 days of riding. Two nights ago I did 125 deep squats with a 35# kettlebell. A few months ago I would have faded at 25. I'm supposed to do 250 on 12/31 and then ride up the local mountain pass early on 1/1.

weisan
12-10-2018, 08:18 PM
I am not that old compared to some of y'all but old enough to understand this:

Being healthy and fit is not about being able to perform extraordinary feats or break any human records. It's also not about going vegetarian or adopting certain diet or using special ointment. It certainly has nothing to do with cross-fit or 24-hr fitness...

I have come across many genuinely healthy and fit individuals and they all share one thing in common: they possess a healthy dose of common sense.

Instead of driving their cars everywhere, if they can walk, they walk.

Instead of taking the lift, if they can climb the stairs, they climb the stairs.

Instead of eating everything they want, they watch what they eat.

They form healthy life-long habits. They don't resort to anything crazy or extreme, they don't subscribe to any weight-loss program or fall for the latest fitness fad. They are steady and consistent. Day in. Day out.

Like compounding interest, it's best to start those good habits when you are younger.

Hawker
12-10-2018, 10:45 PM
Weisan, well said. Hope you don't mind the piggy-back.

All things in moderation.

Tend to your entire being; physical, mental, emotional and spiritual

Get enough sleep, at least seven hours of GOOD sleep.

Attitude goes a long way in dealing with things you can't change. You CAN change how you think.

Always save one gear.

Floss.

I knew I'd get old...I'm just surprised at how quickly I got here. ;)

oldpotatoe
12-11-2018, 06:38 AM
All things in moderation[/B].

Tend to your entire being; physical, mental, emotional and spiritual

Get enough sleep, at least seven hours of GOOD sleep.

Attitude goes a long way in dealing with things you can't change. You CAN change how you think.

Always save one gear.

Floss.

I knew I'd get old...I'm just surprised at how quickly I got here. ;)

Never run when you can walk, never walk when you can ride.
Never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down..
-Old Italian cyclists rules

"Getting old ain't for sissies"-Betty Davis
"Time is the fire in which we all burn"-Paul Newman

I get tired of people who are young and say stuff like, '70 is the new 40' or 'yer not getting older, yer getting better'..or 'with age comes wisdom' and that type of pablum..

I'm NOT a fan of getting older, the 2 above quotes apply 100% for me. I ride cuz I like it, as I've said before..it keeps me 'fit', but I do it cuz I like it...been running or riding since I was about 27(late bloomer)..68 in a few weeks..bah humbug...if I couldn't ride, I'd do something else...not surgically joined to bike..

luglust
12-11-2018, 06:50 PM
i was fit in my 40's. life rearranged a lot of things and i slowly stopped riding. Now at 67 I'm starting at ground zero, very humbling. My hearts electrical system is a bit off, and lately after exercise (winter in Chicagoland, no riding for me) my blood pressure drops low and sometimes skips beats. The doctor sez not uncommon continue to exercise, adjusting blood pressure meds.

Life and age are big factors. when balance is off or out of ones control gotta go with the flow. Want to be able to ride 30 miles on any day i want. I still feel natural on a bike, like the peace n meditation aspect of riding.

Ill just do what Eddie sez...'.not how long or short, fast or slow, just make sure you ride.'

soulspinner
12-11-2018, 06:57 PM

+1...Im not getting older, Im getting faster in my age group...:p

luglust
12-11-2018, 07:02 PM
after thought... i don't have to subscribe to anything anymore i can do what i want. if i want to smoke cigars and drink bourbon i do. I would never do this when i was younger and fit. Anything can happen to anyone, fitness is no guarantee of long healthy life. But there's nothing wrong with pursuing it either. To each his own, not right and not wrong.

joosttx
12-11-2018, 07:05 PM
only thing I find good about getting older is my capacity to love increases. Never would I guess I could love my wife more than I did when she agreed to marry me. Well, every year I fall more in love with her. Never knew I could love my children like I do. For me my capacity to love grows as I age. Everything else about getting old sucks.

luglust
12-11-2018, 07:06 PM
joosttx...well said.

thwart
12-11-2018, 07:09 PM
I still feel natural on a bike...

Priceless.

In every way.

As you get older you can appreciate riding even more.

seanile
12-11-2018, 07:54 PM
My hearts electrical system is a bit off, and lately after exercise (winter in Chicagoland, no riding for me) my blood pressure drops low and sometimes skips beats. The doctor sez not uncommon continue to exercise, adjusting blood pressure meds.
I get palpitations too, make sure you’re well hydrated. The salt your body needs, which it sweats out, plays a big role in the conductivity of your heart’s circuits.

luglust
12-11-2018, 09:12 PM
seanile....agree 100%. Dehydration/hydration is big deal. I never used to salt anything for blood pressure reasons. Now i use the stuff in moderation. As i got older i actually have to remind myself to drink more water.

pdmtong
12-12-2018, 12:24 AM
if I couldn't ride, I'd do something else...not surgically joined to bike..

^ yup this. love riding but plenty of other things to keep fit and sharp

bironi
12-12-2018, 12:39 AM
I could suck old potatoe's wheel if it were true.
Pretty sure I could depend on that.
I'm surgically attached to the bike.
Arthritis and creaky joints since way back.
I loved hiking and other activities in years past.
But that is past.
What works for some doesn't for others.
Do what works.

5oakterrace
12-13-2018, 05:43 AM

Determination, confidence, and work. In my mid 50s I could not bike up a mile long 6-8% average grade hill. There were some steeper pitches which stopped me. I tried four different times that summer. Not happening. I changed my eating (nothing with a face, no dairy, no oil, whole foods, basically Engine 2 plan) ramped up training from an easy does it 1-2k a year to around 4-6k a year. Lost 55 pounds, cholesterol plummeted. Next year, age 63, should by my fifth time up Mt. Washington. Granted I am real slow but for my age, and a Clydesdale at that (I am tall) - I am feeling mightily blessed I can even do it. I have the usual menu of physical issues (knee problems, back surgeries et al). My point - I think sometimes we underestimate what we may be capable of. I have no unusual genetic inheritance. My father had two heart attacks by my age, dead at 68. My mantra is - go when you can.

MattTuck
12-13-2018, 12:17 PM
I didn't see this already posted in this thread, but may have missed it... NYT Article on Regular Exercise as you age (https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/21/well/move/regular-exercise-may-keep-your-body-30-years-younger.html)

The muscles of older men and women who have exercised for decades are indistinguishable in many ways from those of healthy 25-year-olds, according to an uplifting new study of a group of active septuagenarians.

These men and women also had much higher aerobic capacities than most people their age, the study showed, making them biologically about 30 years younger than their chronological ages, the study’s authors concluded.

All of us are aging every second, of course, which leads many of us also to be deeply interested in what we can expect from our bodies and health as those seconds — and subsequent years and decades — mount.

Worryingly, statistics and simple observation suggest that many elderly people experience frailty, illness and dependence.

But science has not established whether and to what extent such physical decline is inevitable with age or if it is at least partially a byproduct of our modern lifestyles and perhaps amenable to change.

There have been hints, though, that physical activity might alter how we age. Recent studies have found that older athletes have healthier muscles, brains, immune systems and hearts than people of the same age who are sedentary.