PDA

View Full Version : Track frame needed

Jack Brunk
11-16-2006, 12:01 AM
Does anybody know where I can find a new or NOS track frame made by an elite builder? I need a size 55cm.

Thanks,

Jack

coylifut
11-16-2006, 12:21 AM
www.businesscycles.com offers Nagasawa frames. no sure thing they have them in stock, but it's a good place to start.

Tom Byrnes
11-16-2006, 02:05 AM
Hi Jack,

Velowerx on Lincoln Boulevard, Santa Monica built up my Nakano red Nagasawa track bike with NJS components and did a great job. It's on display at Velowerx and worth a look if you are thinking of getting a Nagasawa and are in the Santa Monica area.

Yellow Jersey (http://www.yellowjersey.org) also sells a good number of Nagasawas and may have some in stock.

Good hunting!

Tom

sbornia
11-16-2006, 09:45 AM
In the Bay Area, check out Montano Velo (Oakland) or American Cyclery (SF). Between the two of them, they sell GanWell, Nagasawa, Cinelli, and others.

justinf
11-16-2006, 10:04 AM
Ethan at Black Sheep has built up an amazingly bling Kalavinka in the past couple weeks. You might want to email him for pics. . . I know you like the bling stuff, Jack. blacksheepcycles.com

Jack Brunk
11-16-2006, 10:08 AM
Thanks guys.

Jack

Jeffie
11-16-2006, 10:13 AM
What happened to getting a Serotta Ti?

11-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Jack,

There are only two ways to go bling big-time in track. First, a Nagasawa. Second, a BT or Look monocoque carbon. For the latter, you need a pair of Mavic Io/Comete wheels plus an SRM. In the Look you'll be set back about $20K, and in the BT about $15K. Both are superb frames and I've owned and raced both. But you'll also look like a poseur unless you're really really good. And they are both negative bling for those who like classic steel and the like.

Bike-Central in Portland has a Nagasawa hanging on its wall right now that might be close to your size. You should call and give them a call. Then it's worth a trip to see it and check out dimensions. It's not drilled for brakes -- it's track only. Yellow Jersey gets their Nagasawas directly from Japan; Business Cycles gets them through EAI. In either case, the wait is still well over a year, possibly two or three, depending on Nagasawa's frame of mind. The frame geometries, even on a custom frame, are strictly within a very narrow range, so if you want one and can find it in the US, grab it. Both owners of Bike Central have Nagasawas by the way and are extremely well versed in them. They also have all the accoutrements, including stuff like gold bars and stems, trick wheels, etc.

If that Nagasawa doesn't fit or is gone, patient bling would be a Richard Sachs track frame (see his galleries for a retro track frame he did a few years ago) or a Spectrum. Spectrums are gorgeous and I have both a track frame and a fixie from Tom and Jeff. I've attached some photos of my fixie that I have at hand -- I'm not at home and don't have my track frame with me to get some shots of, but it's pearl white with gold panels and a gold-tinted clearcoat overspray. And it rides superbly.

Jack Brunk
11-16-2006, 10:36 AM
My Ti fixie has been ordered and the final sign should happen today. I want a track bike like Tom's to possibly ride on the track and for my collection. 11.4, do you have the phone number for Bike-Central? Your Spectrum looks awesome.

Jack

Grant McLean
11-16-2006, 10:39 AM
[QUOTE=Jack Brunk do you have the phone number for Bike-Central?
Jack[/QUOTE]

Bike Central Co-Op
113 SW Naito Pkwy
Portland, OR 97204-3512
(503) 227-4439

obtuse
11-16-2006, 10:39 AM
if you want bling but don't want to spend 20,000 on a bt, walser or a look.
take a look at this thing.....steel is real i guess...but if you like your paris you might like an x-track too.

obtuse

Climb01742
11-16-2006, 10:41 AM
jack, i bet a bunch of us are living vicariously through your acquisitions. go for it, dude. enough is never enough. :D

Grant McLean
11-16-2006, 10:52 AM
...but if you like your paris you might like an x-track too.

obtuse

Spongeworthy.

All bikes should come in sets. Road, Cross, and Track.

g

obtuse
11-16-2006, 11:04 AM
Spongeworthy.

All bikes should come in sets. Road, Cross, and Track.

g

like this?

obtuse

Grant McLean
11-16-2006, 11:05 AM
like this?

obtuse

Oh ya, baby. That's the stuff.

g

Steve Hampsten
11-16-2006, 11:06 AM
Rumor has it Parlee is building a track frame for a Mr. Erik Zabel - I think you guys both ride the same size. Maybe they could throw an extra in the Frame-O-Matic?

Just a thought.

obtuse
11-16-2006, 11:11 AM
Rumor has it Parlee is building a track frame for a Mr. Erik Zabel - I think you guys both ride the same size. Maybe they could throw an extra in the Frame-O-Matic?

Just a thought.

yeah, eric zabel is going to throw away that piece of shi'ite c50 track and get a parlee. cambiago is really going to let that happen.

obtuse

LegendRider
11-16-2006, 11:15 AM
yeah, eric zabel is going to throw away that piece of shi'ite c50 track and get a parlee. cambiago is really going to let that happen.

obtuse

Obtuse, what's up with you re: Parlee? You never have anything good to say about them and they're in your own backyard.

obtuse
11-16-2006, 11:22 AM
Obtuse, what's up with you re: Parlee? You never have anything good to say about them and they're in your own backyard.

i think they're fine....well made but certainly not a builder with the tradition or knowledge of competitive cycling like serotta. it seems to me they try to make up for their lack of pedigree with rumours of "re-badged pro bikes"....many of these rumours are not true.

the bikes are fine. they are well built and people who own them seem to love them.

obtuse

davids
11-16-2006, 11:34 AM
OK, now explain how Pinarello got that track bike to float.

obtuse
11-16-2006, 11:38 AM
OK, now explain how Pinarello got that track bike to float.

ever see the television show thunderbirds? or howabout the movie "meet the feebles"?

me neither. my guess is that gravity is less powerful in treviso; how else to explain why certain italian bike parts always weigh a little bit more on this side of the atlantic than they do in the catalogue.

obtuse

fiamme red
11-16-2006, 11:54 AM
If that Nagasawa doesn't fit or is gone, patient bling would be a Richard Sachs track frame (see his galleries for a retro track frame he did a few years ago) or a Spectrum. Spectrums are gorgeous and I have both a track frame and a fixie from Tom and Jeff. I've attached some photos of my fixie that I have at hand -- I'm not at home and don't have my track frame with me to get some shots of, but it's pearl white with gold panels and a gold-tinted clearcoat overspray. And it rides superbly.11.4, doesn't the rear fender interfere with putting the wheel on and off? That's one of the arguments people use against rear-facing slots.

Jack Brunk
11-16-2006, 12:44 PM
Obtuse,

While I'm sitting in my office waiting for my paris carbon frame to arrive, you f*** up my day by showing those incredible pictures of those carbon track frames. Now I don't know what to do.

Jack

Steve Hampsten
11-16-2006, 01:39 PM
it seems to me they try to make up for their lack of pedigree with rumours of "re-badged pro bikes"....many of these rumours are not true.

the bikes are fine. they are well built and people who own them seem to love them.

obtuse

Enlighten me, oh obtuse one. They built a frame for Hamilton, badged as a Look; they built a frame for Hincapie, badged as a Parlee; and now they're building a Parlee for Zabel who has no frame contract on the track.

What "rumors" are out there?

obtuse
11-16-2006, 02:22 PM
Enlighten me, oh obtuse one. They built a frame for Hamilton, badged as a Look; they built a frame for Hincapie, badged as a Parlee; and now they're building a Parlee for Zabel who has no frame contract on the track.

What "rumors" are out there?

that zabel was riding one on the road all year.

that production was backed up because rabobank was getting frames.

that ullrich was riding one.

now-
hamilton rode one because of how horrible that look was; and now because he has no contract being under a doping ban and all....

i don't know about hincapie except that his contract expressly forbids him to ride anything other than a trek even when he's training.

i know that zabel is riding a colnago in the six-days and it was part of the milram deal.

obtuse

saab2000
11-16-2006, 02:25 PM
hamilton rode one because of how horrible that look was; e

Just curious. What is wrong with the Look? I am surprised at how nice a ride it really is. Not hellastiff, but seems like a decent bike. Not arguing, but wonder because I like mine.

Climb01742
11-16-2006, 02:34 PM
jack: one word: carbon. nuf said.

Lunar Probe
11-16-2006, 02:36 PM

Just a thought.

Isn't Zabel a collector of bikes?

swoop
11-16-2006, 03:25 PM
Isn't Zabel a collector of bikes?

no.. it's a typo.. zabel collects dykes. i guess after the wall collapsed there was a lot of e. german girl on girl stuff.. and zabel started collecting. he's got his own version of the saturn womens team going.

Jack Brunk
11-16-2006, 03:37 PM
Climb,

You are a very wise man.

davids
11-16-2006, 04:06 PM
ever see the television show thunderbirds? or howabout the movie "meet the feebles"?

me neither. my guess is that gravity is less powerful in treviso; how else to explain why certain italian bike parts always weigh a little bit more on this side of the atlantic than they do in the catalogue.

obtuse
Was "Meet the Feebles" made in Italy?

11-16-2006, 05:20 PM
11.4, doesn't the rear fender interfere with putting the wheel on and off? That's one of the arguments people use against rear-facing slots.

The Spectrum doesn't have hugely long slots, so you can just have the back end of the rear fender standing off a little bit and you have enough room. Plus, with Honjo fenders, all it takes is an allen key and you can loosen the clamps for the rear fender stay, take the wheel out (or put it back in), and then retighten the clamps. It's very easy. Also, I (knock knock knock on mahogany) don't puncture much so I only have to do it once a winter or so (and I do ride tubulars). If the tire is deflated, it's not an issue anyway, so just reinstall the wheel before inflating and you've solved the problem that way as well.

11-16-2006, 05:23 PM
Obtuse,

While I'm sitting in my office waiting for my paris carbon frame to arrive, you f*** up my day by showing those incredible pictures of those carbon track frames. Now I don't know what to do.

Jack

Whine, whine, whine. You sound like Jerk on a short stem.

Lots of nice carbon out there. Different bling for different folks. When I race, it's almost always on carbon. There's just no comparison (unless it's some good aluminum, like Dolan). When I'm not racing, and especially on a fixie, other factors come into play. Decide what you really want to do with the bike. If you want the ultimate track frame available today, it's probably the Look KG496, but you sure better be able to ride it fast.

Jack Brunk
11-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Sometimes whining is fun.

Big Dan
11-16-2006, 05:33 PM
:)

Grant McLean
11-16-2006, 05:43 PM
The Spectrum doesn't have hugely long slots, so you can just have the back end of the rear fender standing off a little bit and you have enough room. Plus, with Honjo fenders, all it takes is an allen key and you can loosen the clamps for the rear fender stay, take the wheel out (or put it back in), and then retighten the clamps. It's very easy. Also, I (knock knock knock on mahogany) don't puncture much so I only have to do it once a winter or so (and I do ride tubulars). If the tire is deflated, it's not an issue anyway, so just reinstall the wheel before inflating and you've solved the problem that way as well.

Sweet bike. That's pretty much my deam commuter/winter trainer.
It's cool to see the perfect clearance for short reach brakes, fenders, drop outs
eyelets, and everything else that make it special. Well done!

g

petitelilpettit
11-17-2006, 10:46 AM
Try to look for a 3Rensho. Older, but definitely worth it.