PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Otrott handling

jonsamg
11-15-2006, 10:08 PM
I am looking for a stable handling bike, particularly on descents, and have been told that the Otrott fits the bill. Also have been told the Colnago C50 is very stable, and have ridden a Look 585 and really liked its handling.

Anyone ridden any or all of these fames to compare handling charachteristics. Also, I am thinking of buying a used frame. If I were to buy the correct top tube size, and the rest of the frame is basically stock measurements, how much will handling be affected from getting one completely custom.

By the way, currently ride a pegeretti Fina Estampa (51, with a 53 top tupe), and find the handling too quick for my liking.

Thanks for any and all information.

malcolm
11-15-2006, 10:47 PM
I suspect geometry will come more into play than tube materials as there were many stable descenders long before ti or carbon or the combo. The correct geo is what you seek although both are fine rides.

swoop
11-15-2006, 11:17 PM
it aint the model, it's the geometry. the good folks at serotta can make any of their bikes fit your handling needs.

Simon Q
11-16-2006, 12:22 AM
Right on Swoopmeister.

I have a Serotta with a long trail and wheelbase as 99% of my riding is out and back on a straight coastal road so I wanted something that would steer itself and they delivered perfectly. I has a low BB as well and tracks superbly leaning into corners. I never have the need to to go around tight corners but it would never do as a crit bike...

davids
11-16-2006, 08:14 AM
Swoop could not be more correct, if Serotta is building to order. But if you want to buy used, that's another kettle of fish.

My Nove has standard Serotta geo. And it's slightly more stable than my Pegoretti (same size as yours, by the way.) I have to deliberately 'push' the Nove off a straight line as I lean into a turn. It's a small thing, but noticable on sharp turns (e.g. 90 degree turns from one street to another.) I think it's what you're looking for.

But if you buy a used Ottrott with custom geo, it will handle as the original owner spec'ed it to. If you're not an expert at interpreting bike geos... Good luck with that!

BoulderGeek
11-16-2006, 09:28 AM
What David said.

I've only had "standard" geometry bikes, not custom.

But, I've never had a bike so simultaneously stable and responsive as my Nove in stock geo.

Most (race-oriented) road and track bikes want to turn quickly, and sometimes that means they turn out from under you. You have to stay on top of them all the time.

The stock geometry from Serotta makes my Nove track like my motorcycle in a straight line, yet sharp corners feel like a snowboard on edge. It just bites in and carves right through.

While I would like to feel what custom geometry for me would feel like, I don't want to mess with a good thing.

ergott
11-16-2006, 09:48 AM
I've mentioned this before.

I had a C-40. The handling was just right for me. I felt confident at any speed including 55+

I built up my Ottrott with the same geo and still love the handling. It works for me.

Slack head angle (71.5)
43mm rake
6.84 trail

vaxn8r
11-16-2006, 12:22 PM
I've only had "standard" geometry bikes, not custom.

But, I've never had a bike so simultaneously stable and responsive as my Nove in stock geo.....

While I would like to feel what custom geometry for me would feel like, I don't want to mess with a good thing.
Ditto.

I'm 2 for 2 on stock Serotta. Bee's knees!

Lunar Probe
11-16-2006, 12:29 PM
I've mentioned this before.

I had a C-40. The handling was just right for me. I felt confident at any speed including 55+

I built up my Ottrott with the same geo and still love the handling. It works for me.

Slack head angle (71.5)
43mm rake
6.84 trail

Out of curiosity, how did you determine the GEO numbers for the Colnago?

ergott
11-16-2006, 12:51 PM
Out of curiosity, how did you determine the GEO numbers for the Colnago?

I used their specs. Trialter (the distributor) had the geo on their website. The toptube went from 53 center to top (Colnago) to 53 center. That is the only difference.

Lunar Probe
11-16-2006, 01:11 PM
Thanks, I've been looking for those numbers.