PDA

View Full Version : Disc Front / Rim Rear?

quattro
12-01-2018, 07:07 AM
Wondering if running a disc brake in the front and rim brake in the rear on my road bike makes any sense.

I have a Parlee Z1 about 12 years old and was planning to upgrade my DA 7800 group to an Ultegra 8000 group with 165mm crankset. Then I got to thinking, maybe I would put a new disc brake fork on it to run disc brakes up front, and rim brakes in the rear, as the rear could not be updated to a disc set up.

What are your thoughts on running a disc/rim set up, would it make sense? Any benefit if caught in the rain or riding down mountains in having a disc brake only up front? I'm not riding carbon wheels on this bike, usually aluminum rims with tubular.

Thanks,
quattro

R3awak3n
12-01-2018, 07:17 AM
Mullet is whats called.

Personally I dont think there is a lot of benefit if you are going to go cable disc. I dont think cable disc is all that. If you woud go hydro in front then the shifters would mismatch (unless you got sram red hydro rim caliper in the back). I think this would cost way too much money for little benefit. Also it being a road bike discas are not as “important” as a gravel bike.

Ok maybe if you rode this in the rain ALOT but even then I would not do it

oldpotatoe
12-01-2018, 07:31 AM
Wondering if running a disc brake in the front and rim brake in the rear on my road bike makes any sense.

I have a Parlee Z1 about 12 years old and was planning to upgrade my DA 7800 group to an Ultegra 8000 group with 165mm crankset. Then I got to thinking, maybe I would put a new disc brake fork on it to run disc brakes up front, and rim brakes in the rear, as the rear could not be updated to a disc set up.

What are your thoughts on running a disc/rim set up, would it make sense? Any benefit if caught in the rain or riding down mountains in having a disc brake only up front? I'm not riding carbon wheels on this bike, usually aluminum rims with tubular.

Thanks,
quattro

If you aren't really answering a question or solving a problem(caught in rain or 'coming down a mountain'??), then not sure it's 'worth' it..but 'worth' is a big word. 'Might' be some geometry differences with a new fork also.

Modern DP calipers, mated to aluminum rims, work really well..I don't think the 'benefit' would outweigh the $, IMHO.

Burnette
12-01-2018, 07:40 AM
Mullet is whats called.

Personally I dont think there is a lot of benefit if you are going to go cable disc. I dont think cable disc is all that. If you woud go hydro in front then the shifters would mismatch (unless you got sram red hydro rim caliper in the back). I think this would cost way too much money for little benefit. Also it being a road bike discas are not as “important” as a gravel bike.

Ok maybe if you rode this in the rain ALOT but even then I would not do it

"Mullet", LMAO! And I agree, what a Frankenbike mismatched mess.

OP would save time, talent and money just staying rim on that rig.

seanile
12-01-2018, 08:52 AM
Ive got a mullet on my sscx commuter, works great and doesnt detract from it at all in my opinion. I ride it year round in Boston, so knowing that ill have a functioning brake up front no matter the conditions is comforting.

prototoast
12-01-2018, 09:02 AM
Just to add one more reason not to, there are no good options for a straight-steerer road disc fork. Keep this frame for what it is--and if you want a disc road frame, get one that was made to be one.

Kirk007
12-01-2018, 09:15 AM
Iirc, Wound up still makes a straight steerer disc fork and they do custom so you could get a good fork (performing at least - to each their own on the aesthetics of those forks).

The braking: I think you can get good braking with a cable disc (to address the matched shifters issue) but it's not as good as hydro (imo) but as others have pointed out - what the problem to be solved? If you're turning it into a wet weather commuter, then you need to solve the fender issue on that bike too (an advantage of the woundup is they will build it with fender mounts).

I considered this mullet approach for an older bike that was built for cantis but Paul's mini moto v brakes cured my issues (and now even finding a cx length fork with a straight steerer is a pita).

In sum, a lot of work for an uncertain improvement absent a specific need.

campy man
12-01-2018, 11:53 AM
Would love to have a bike like this :banana:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=122848&highlight=kish

Gummee
12-01-2018, 12:17 PM
The short answer is 'sure! Why not?!'

I just built up a buddy's Boone with Juin Tech brakes (cable actuated hydro calipers) he bought here. He re-used all his old stuff on the new-to-him Boone to keep costs down.

1st ride was a success.

The key is using either M-Sys, Jagwire, or Yokozuna compressionless housing

M

quattro
12-01-2018, 02:35 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. Was just a thought, seems like it would be more of a hassle than its worth, and I really don't need a disc bike, I was just thinking of upgrading the Parlee Z1 and this idea came into my mind. I'll keep it rim brake and upgrade the groupo from the DA 7800.

Thank again,
quattro

R3awak3n
12-01-2018, 04:20 PM
I say, take the money you save in buying a new fork, new front disc wheel, ect and get yourself a pair of EE brakes :)

Dekonick
12-01-2018, 06:39 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. Was just a thought, seems like it would be more of a hassle than its worth, and I really don't need a disc bike, I was just thinking of upgrading the Parlee Z1 and this idea came into my mind. I'll keep it rim brake and upgrade the groupo from the DA 7800.

Thank again,
quattro

I keep looking for a front fork with a little travel. Rock Shock used to make a road bike suspension fork - I would love to find a modern equivalent. Lauf has an 'ugly' but clever approach, unfortunately they only make mountain and gravel bike forks - too wide for me.

Like you, I think I am going to keep my old classic just that - classic. Perhaps a custom steel fork... Not sure if your Parlee needs one, but you could get it set up for Paul brakes with fender bosses...

dancinkozmo
12-01-2018, 07:21 PM
why not ?
business in front
party in back !!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfQvA49CQAU6XQ1.jpg

Peter P.
12-01-2018, 08:21 PM
Ive got a mullet on my sscx commuter, works great and doesnt detract from it at all in my opinion. I ride it year round in Boston, so knowing that ill have a functioning brake up front no matter the conditions is comforting.

I'm inclined to agree, and see no reason why quattro couldn't do this as his reasoning seems well, reasonable!

Seems like there would be no worry of brake fade in the wet and perhaps better wet weather performance. Also, he doesn't have to incur the cost of an entire new bike.

I see no reason why a cable actuated disc brake wouldn't supple all the benefits of a disc brake, with a reasonably light touch.

I guess the only question I'd have would be, would there be a difference in brake levers such that it would feel awkward in the hands?

sowestport
12-02-2018, 11:31 AM
I love my setup. I mainly did gravel rides with this setup. I find that my "mullet" setup is good.

Here's my experience. I've ridden gravel and raced with bikes on road and cx.

There's always a mismatch with braking power on the front vs back on all my bikes. My cable disc front gives me the reliability for wet/muddy vs dry. I find that in my cx races, the reliability for those conditions (e.g., Supercross this year) is great. For dry cx races, I don't think it matters as much whether you have canti's or disc.

For road, I don't brake that much. Perhaps in criteriums it becomes more of an issue. BTW, I love my ee-brakes.

For gravel, that front disc is a savior when you have those long descents. My hands become so fatigued after a 30 minute descent with older braking system. For disc, I don't have to squeeze as hard as I do with canti's to slow down, so after a long descent, my hands don't cramp up. Mismatch of front to back? That mismatch has always been there on any brake system. The main braking power always comes from the front. Sometimes you just have to slow down fast when speeding into a downhill counter cantied turn. My body doesn't think about the mismatch of hand pressure for front vs back. You just learn to handle your bike whether its (canti, v, road or disc brakes).

I'm going to revive one of my steel CX frames to be my back up for CX season next year. It's definitely going to be a mullet.

That's my $0.02.

Tompho
12-02-2018, 01:54 PM
This could be a good solution to have more brake power, and only change the fork, and not the frame.
:rolleyes:

hampco
12-02-2018, 05:23 PM
I considered this mullet approach for an older bike that was built for cantis but Paul's mini moto v brakes cured my issues (and now even finding a cx length fork with a straight steerer is a pita).

Ritchey does a 1.125" straight steerer disc fork for them that's looking. Pretty sure I invented the use of "mullet" in this context... prepare to pay royalties.

Kirk007
12-02-2018, 05:32 PM
Ritchey does a 1.125" straight steerer disc fork for them that's looking. Pretty sure I invented the use of "mullet" in this context... prepare to pay royalties.

hmmm, so if we repaint the strada bianca ybb, add a new Ritchey fork do we nickname it "il muggine" - the grey mullet :)

seanile
12-02-2018, 05:36 PM
Nah, mullet has been around, just as 69er for the 29er/26er pairing

Just to add one more reason not to, there are no good options for a straight-steerer road disc fork. Keep this frame for what it is--and if you want a disc road frame, get one that was made to be one.
Whisky does one in addition to the already mentioned wound up

sowestport
12-02-2018, 06:14 PM
Nah, mullet has been around, just as 69er for the 29er/26er pairing

Whisky does one in addition to the already mentioned wound up

The Whisky is what's on my bike in the pic. I was also looking at the Ritchey, but the Whisky popped up on bay.

quattro
12-02-2018, 07:03 PM
This could be a good solution to have more brake power, and only change the fork, and not the frame.
:rolleyes:

That was my original thought. But the miss match brake levers etc completes the build.