PDA

View Full Version : trek checkpoint alr5

dancinkozmo
11-30-2018, 08:10 PM
anyone here have one of these ?
local shop has them at 25% off and im thinking of going for it.
would appreciate any feedback ...good or bad.
thanks

https://www.1jyo.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/DSC00972.jpg

2LeftCleats
12-01-2018, 06:00 AM
Got one earlier this year. I like it but not sure I can offer an honest appraisal. Don’t ride it as much as my road bike and haven’t ridden another gravel bike. It feels solid and responsive. It’s been years since I’ve ridden 105 and not disappointed. The tires that came with it are fine but there are a couple of monster gravel hills here that would require something wider and grippier; it’s good to know they’d fit. I don’t think paying the carbon tax would have made me happier—aluminum is fine.

charliedid
12-01-2018, 07:07 AM
Give it a test ride....you might like it!

nmrt
12-01-2018, 08:26 AM
i have the trek checkpoint sl6. have ridden it quite a bit now. love it. love the low bb -- makes the bikes pretty stable coming downhill at high speeds here in CO. i am not sure how much effect a low bb might be for people in the flatlands but i appreciate it.

at the front end, the bike feels pretty lively with is relatively quick steering (HT angle around 71.5 deg). and at the back end, the short chainstays aid in carving corners. and so i have also used it with 40c tires on some flowy singletracks where is shined. you also have the option, due to trek's stranglehold (sp?) dropouts to increase the chainstay length and give a bit more stability to the bike for bikepacking purposes. overall, i love the bike. the geometry works very well. the only thing that i would change is reduce the frameset weight. i just like like light bikes.

and last but not the least, you cannot go wrong with trek's lifetime warranty.:)

Give it a test ride....you might like it!

biker72
12-01-2018, 09:07 AM
I'm surprised that the Checkpoints are discounted 25%. They seem to be selling pretty well in this market in Texas.

nmrt
12-01-2018, 10:20 AM
yep, the local trek dealer is not discounting any checkpoints. they are selling like hotcakes here in CO.
btw, i never really liked hotcakes. so, i've wondered why they sell. :banana:

I'm surprised that the Checkpoints are discounted 25%. They seem to be selling pretty well in this market in Texas.

dancinkozmo
12-01-2018, 07:24 PM
thanks so much everyone for taking the time to respond.
'carbon tax'....thats a good one haha !
going to check it out tomorrow.
cheers

:beer: