PDA

View Full Version : What to do with this bike?

rpm
11-15-2006, 09:22 PM
Forumites--

I'd like to get some opinions on two options for the frame pictured here (bare frame and with 650 wheels). The frame in question is a 10-yr old Harry Havnoonian ti bonded with stainless steel lugs. It has a crit geometry with 74 head angle, tight chainstays and relatively high bottom bracket. The size is a 64-57, so it's virtually worthless on e-bay. The bike was a parts donor for my new Strong tourer.

Since it's no longer my #1 go fast bike, I'm looking at two options for it:
(1) Turning it into a fixie.
(2) Turning it into a fast 650b cruiser.

Fixie pros:
(1) I don't have one; it's not redundant with my other three bikes (newer ti, steel tourer, and 650b cruiser).
(2) It would be cheaper than making it a 650b.
(3) It would look cooler and all the cool kids have one.

Fixie cons:
(1) It has vertical dropouts and would require an ENO hub or chain tensioner.
(2) The idea of a fixie has never really rung my bell (although I've never tried one)
(3) I do spinning classes in the winter, so I get a lot of the fixie pedal stroke benefits already

650b pros:
(1) I converted an old steel bike this spring and I'm enjoying it a lot for errands, rainy days, and cruising.
(2) This frame would make a lighter, quicker version of a bike I already like.

650b cons:
(1) It would be redundant with my current one. One wouldn't get ridden as much.
(2) It would be more expensive.
(3) No fender eyelets; I'd have to figure a way to way to fit narrow fenders (those insanely expensive carbon Berthouds would be the bees knees)
(4) Big bike, small wheels would look funny.

So, guys, what do you think?

bironi
11-15-2006, 09:40 PM
fixie.
. :beer:

davids
11-16-2006, 08:02 AM
That would make a wicked cool fixie or ss, atmo!

Two biggest points for me - you don't have one, and there's nothing wrong with that ENO hub.

ti_boi
11-16-2006, 08:05 AM
I want a fixie...have for year. Something about the simplicity/purity of the whole thing....I vote Fixed.....bullhorn handlebars would be my pick....or some nice upright cross country style. :cool:

Steve Hampsten
11-16-2006, 11:09 AM
Fixed-gear 650B

Done.

72gmc
11-16-2006, 11:41 AM
Like Steve said. You won't ride it if it's a lesser version of a bike you already have.

British
11-16-2006, 11:48 AM
Just a thought, is the ENO patented and therefore the only hub of this type on the market?

rpm
11-16-2006, 08:23 PM
My neighborhood shop had an ENO hub in stock, so a 700c fixie/ss it will be. I'll put the fixed cog on one side and the freewheel on the other and we'll see how it goes. I'll probably start with the freewheel and then practice mounts, dismounts, and stops on the fixed cogs.