PDA

View Full Version : Prosthesis idea

NHAero
11-30-2018, 01:32 PM
A herniated disk years ago caused nerve damage such that I lost muscle use in part of my lower left leg, and therefore I can't stand on my toes on my left foot. When I stand on the pedals, my left heel drops, which I notice with occasional heels strikes on the left foot on my FS MTB. A few days ago I rode my fixed gear for a couple of hours and I think I overstressed my knee ligaments by overextending my knee as my heel drops.

So - I've been thinking of some type of strap-on prosthesis that bridges from my shin to the top of my foot can maintains a minimum angle between the foot and the leg. Have any of you heard of anything remotely like this? I can imagine mocking it up in rigid foam and then making it out of fiber + epoxy resin, and using velcro to strap it on.

RFC
11-30-2018, 01:36 PM
I admire your versatility and ingenuity.

Life is a death march that we want to last as long as possible.

MattTuck
11-30-2018, 01:39 PM
I'll throw out the obvious question, which is, are your cleats as far backward as they can be? The closer they are to your toe, the more weight will be pushing your heal lower.

zambenini
11-30-2018, 01:46 PM
Life is a death march that we want to last as long as possible.

That is one way to praise the indomitable human spirit, I guess.

2LeftCleats
11-30-2018, 01:48 PM
Ankle-foot orthotic (AFO) exists. Rigid molded plastic that extends from the calf to the sole and velcros on. Could likely make your own. Or call Calfee for special carbon fiber layup.

NHAero
11-30-2018, 02:36 PM
Yes they are.
I'll throw out the obvious question, which is, are your cleats as far backward as they can be? The closer they are to your toe, the more weight will be pushing your heal lower.

NHAero
11-30-2018, 02:38 PM
BINGO!
Thanks so much - with the right search term, lots comes up. I just couldn't come up with the right name for it! And there actually are carbon fiber versions!!!
What's interesting in a very quick look-see is that they are targeted at foot drop, and I need resistance to motion in the other rotational direction. But this is a great start, thanks.

Ankle-foot orthotic (AFO) exists. Rigid molded plastic that extends from the calf to the sole and velcros on. Could likely make your own. Or call Calfee for special carbon fiber layup.

jmoore
11-30-2018, 02:40 PM

^this

definitely a Calfee carbon fiber one :)

weisan
11-30-2018, 03:34 PM
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0011/7958/2517/products/03a1101-soft-afo-foot-drop-brace-main_800x.jpg?v=1526575169

NHAero
11-30-2018, 03:46 PM
This looks like it helps with foot drop, but not with the collapse of the foot upwards, which is what I am looking for. There needs to be a rigid component to resist rotation upwards.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0011/7958/2517/products/03a1101-soft-afo-foot-drop-brace-main_800x.jpg?v=1526575169

NHAero
11-22-2019, 01:56 PM
Well it's one year later :-)
I learned from a friend with some degenerative leg issues about a good orthotic/prosthesis place in Burlington MA called FDR Center. Called them, spoke to the person (Paul Harney) who helped my friend, he was very enthusiastic about helping me. Went up there with a bike, a trainer to ride it on, and some shoes, including the custom Luck shoes that didn't work out for Doomridesout.

The new AFO arrived yesterday and I just returned from a shakedown ride. It works! Some kinks to work out, but a big step forward. Posting in case anyone else encounters this. The AFO is made my Thuasne and is part of their SpryStep product line, called Spry Step Max. It's carbon fiber and weighs 10.5 ounces all in!

HenryA
11-22-2019, 03:28 PM
I am so very glad to hear you found this device and wish you many many miles of happy riding!

572cv
11-22-2019, 04:36 PM
Good news, Marc ! It is indeed positive attitude Friday. Cutting out the heel drag on the pavement is going to make you faster.:) Or at least more comfortable...

charliedid
11-22-2019, 06:16 PM
Fantastic

gasman
11-22-2019, 06:36 PM
That orthotic is very cool looking and glad to hear it’s functional.

NHAero
11-22-2019, 09:16 PM
How could I NOT be faster, at this point?
:)
Good news, Marc ! It is indeed positive attitude Friday. Cutting out the heel drag on the pavement is going to make you faster.:) Or at least more comfortable...

marciero
11-24-2019, 06:34 AM
Glad to hear this is working for you.

Black Dog
11-24-2019, 07:44 AM
That is fantastic. Good for for making this happen. Anything that gets you out on the road and smiling is a great thing. :banana:

NHAero
11-24-2019, 08:18 AM
A bit longer ride yesterday - I'm taking this incrementally because I don't know all the potential downsides - so I rode for 80 minutes, hillier course, with flats and 510s instead of the clipless. The most interesting result is how sore I was at the rear of my leg right below my glute. I'm wondering, because the orthotic is allowing me to push harder in a seated position than I'm used to, if I'm working some muscles harder than I have in a long time.

ultraman6970
11-24-2019, 08:45 AM
Body will get used to the new way to work, pain will go away soon.

Congrats you are able to ride comfortable again... :)

This reminds me a guy that raced with me but in another team, he started as a cat 5 when i was in junior. He got an accident and almost lost one of his legs at the knee down. The doctor pretty much like a challenge saved the leg but he lost pretty much all the calf muscle and a lot of skin tissue. I do not remember he had problems standing up the pedals but he did not have back problems and that could be a difference. Sucker was really good too.

doomridesout
11-24-2019, 07:54 PM
So glad you’re finding a way forward. Cheers.

Dekonick
11-24-2019, 08:56 PM
Love it! :banana:

NHAero
11-25-2019, 01:18 PM
Beautiful day here on the Rock, made it up to 50F, clear, moderate wind. Back on the Firefly with the clipless shoes. This time started with the insole on top of the orthotic and it felt right. 33 miles, about 1,500 ft elevation. This thing is going to work. Still have to figure out how I best use it, in terms of whether (seated) I let it flex slightly, or try to keep my toes down and the ankle more fixed. It definitely allows engagement of muscles I haven't been using. Today's ride had a wee bit faster average speed than normal and I'm wondering if this is a result of the orthotic.

Pretty stoked about it! Thanks for all the encouragement and good wishes!

vqdriver
11-25-2019, 01:24 PM
nothing constructive to offer you, but this thread is amazingly awesome. i love this stuff.

CSTRider
11-25-2019, 09:25 PM
Just awesome to watch/hear from afar. Very inspirational - keep pushing!