PDA

View Full Version : Big tires and comfortable saddles

frito
11-15-2006, 06:08 PM
I am riding a surley cross check this winter which has big 38 size tires on it. I love the ride and since one of my routes has a bit of gravel road they work well. However, since they can only be pumped up to 80psi they are a bit bouncy when out of the saddle and they are certainly not fast due to weight and drag.

Does any one have a favorite oversized tire? Nashbar has some "Vittoria Randonneur Pro Touring Folding Tire" that looks good for the price but input would be nice.

Also, I have flite saddles on my bikes and overall they or pretty good. Is there a consensus on comfy saddles even if it entails a weight penalty. Brooks etc.

Thanks,

Stephen

Big Dan
11-15-2006, 06:12 PM
Rolls, Regal, Turbo, Turbomatic....maybe 100-150 grams more than the flite.. :)

GoJavs
11-15-2006, 06:36 PM
I have some Vittoria Randonneur Touring Pro's on my XO-3. So far, so good. Very plush ride and pretty fast considering they are 700x37s!

As far as saddles, can't really go wrong with a Rolls or a Turbo. :)

Dekonick
11-15-2006, 07:17 PM
What rims are you using on your Cross-check commuter?

I want some fatties for mine... at present am on OP's

frito
11-15-2006, 09:50 PM
I have OPs also and have not had problems with the big tires.

I think I will try those Vittorias. Can't beat the price.

Thanks for the saddle info. Two flites will be for sale sooooon.

Simon Q
11-16-2006, 12:39 AM
ALIANTE. You must micro adjust the set back and esp the level but once you nail it - ohhh baby! I struggled for years with saddles now I never even think about them.

GregL
11-16-2006, 08:56 AM
Tires: Panaracer Pasela TG. Cheap ($20 at Nashbar last time I bought them), strong, reasonably light, wide, lots of air volume for comfort.

Saddle: Turbomatic II. I've been riding them forever (or at least the past 10 years...). Good for 6+ hours in the saddle, day after day. Personally, I hope that most people don't like them. That leaves more on eBay for me to scarf up.

Good luck and best wishes,
Greg

ChrisK
11-16-2006, 09:07 AM
I'll second GregL. Despite the low price Paselas are one of the best wide tires ever made. What's really amazing is that the ones without the kevlar, the non-TG, actually ride better and may be faster. According to Bike Quartely's real world test they have less rolling resistance than many racing tires. Sometimes price has nothing to do with performance.

One of the huge surprises is that lower pressure and wider tires sometimes result in lower rolling resistance, especially over rough surfaces, like pavement.

As for saddles: Brooks Pro Titanium or a Rolls.

Dekonick
11-16-2006, 12:15 PM
or a B-17 (Brooks baby!)

FierteTi52
11-16-2006, 04:26 PM
Despite the low price Paselas are one of the best wide tires ever made. What's really amazing is that the ones without the kevlar, the non-TG, actually ride better and may be faster. .

I ride 35mm non Kevlar Paselas on my cross bike and single speed beater and they work great. No flats, decent ride, good for rough pavement, dirt roads, hard packed trails, and long wearing. I think I paid $12.95 at Nashbar. Vittoria Randos are heavier and more expensive.
Jeff

fiamme red
11-16-2006, 04:38 PM
I'll second GregL. Despite the low price Paselas are one of the best wide tires ever made. What's really amazing is that the ones without the kevlar, the non-TG, actually ride better and may be faster.The kevlar is intended to prevent flats, not improve performance.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_i-k.html#kevlar

"Kevlar-belted tires have a layer of kevlar under the tread surface, with the purpose of making the tire more resistant to punctures caused by small sharp objects, such as thorns and glass slivers. Kevlar-belted tires have slightly higher rolling resistance, price and weight than corresponding tires without the belt."