PDA

View Full Version : OT: School me on DAC's please...

William
11-29-2018, 11:39 AM
DAC’s. Anyone running an external DAC?

In this day and age digital music is a fact of life. I still run analog LP’s and cassettes through vintage equipment but I also stream Pandora though my phone with RCA plugs as well as through an Xbox one. The Xbox One is wired to a Sony Bravia which is in turn connected to a vintage Marantz through the audio out with RCA connectors. It sounds really good but I’m wondering if an external DAC would be a better option?

Maybe go from the Xbox to the DAC using an optical or USB connection and cut out the TV? Then DAC to receiver?

I also have tons of music files in iTunes that I may want to consider accessing as well as FLAC files. The computer is in another room so I’m wondering if there is a wireless option that will still give me full resolution?

I’m kind of rambling here since I really don’t understand how, or the best way to try to use one with a vintage set up?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
William

tourmalet
11-29-2018, 11:52 AM
Chromecast Audio wired to your integrated amplifier is a good solution.

Works well for streaming Pandora or Spotify. More importantly, it's easy to use and control from my phone, computer, etc. If you want voice control, you can replace the Chromecast Audio with one of the Google Home gadgets.

If your ears aren't happy, you can use the Chromecast Audio as an optical-out source and plug it into a fancier DAC.

There are some quibbles with the device among audiophiles, but for $15, there is no better setup. It's on sale now from its regular price of $35.

EDIT: Forgot to add that there's no easy way to make iTunes play nice with Chromecast as far as I know.

zzy
11-29-2018, 12:27 PM
I use a Meridian DAC, and strongly recommend it if you're using good headphones with a PC. Your situation is a bit different. In your case I'd also recommend a chromecast audio as it's cheap and streams over wifi with no signal loss. But if you're a die hard apple fan maybe an airport setup would be better. Honestly, in terms of fidelity I would only worry about the FLAC files. Pandora is very low bitrate and won't really take advantage of a good hifi setup. Option 2 is get a good bluetooth speaker, like a BOOM. I really love mine and it sounds great aside from the weak low end.

jtbadge
11-29-2018, 12:48 PM
I tried Chromecast Audio a couple of years ago, and couldn't return it fast enough. It was really limiting as to what applications you could stream audio from, and then you still had to manage the media player on your computer in the other room. Using it with an iPhone was even worse.

I would try running a media server like Plex on your computer to serve the files to your XBox, which you could use the manage playback. Then, as you said, optical out to a DAC.

auto_rock
11-29-2018, 01:10 PM
Another great streaming trick - the old "airport express" routers had an optical out and work as an airplay device.

I was running a Cambridge audio DAC for a while, while it was good performance-wise, it had audible noise (a capacitor whine maybe) which made it unsuitable with my headphone amp/open back AKG setup

GOTHBROOKS
11-29-2018, 03:08 PM
david
allan
coe

Ozz
11-29-2018, 03:46 PM

.... The Xbox One is wired to a Sony Bravia which is in turn connected to a vintage Marantz through the audio out with RCA connectors. It sounds really good but I’m wondering if an external DAC would be a better option?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
William
We have the same set up in our basement for the boys Xbox...Xbox to TV (Sony Bravia) via HDMI cable. Then, use the optical output on the TV to Bose CineMate Series II speaker system. I don't think Bose makes this anymore, but it is a pretty slick setup. Two powered speakers and subwoofer...no stereo receiver needed.

I imagine someone else is making a set up like this.

keevon
11-29-2018, 08:52 PM
I received a Schiit Modi 2 Uber for Christmas last year. Connected to my laptop and running it through an old H/K AVR-100 receiver.

I'm not an audiophile in the least, but I like the way it sounds. FWIW.

rounder
11-29-2018, 09:05 PM
I had been making many trips to best buy to figure out what I could do with equipment that I already had. For me, the best solution was to buy a new relatively cheap Yamaha receiver that had wifi and Bluetooth capability and connect to my existing speakers. I can play Pandora through wifi and can play all of my iTunes albums using my iPhone as the remote.

Gramaphone is our nearby hitech audio/visual store where you can spend endless $ for quality sound and visual, but this works for me.

kingpin75s
11-29-2018, 10:02 PM

Thanks,
William

Yes. I like to have a single quality DAC that I can route through.

I am just starting to integrate my digital front end into my analog system now so I will at least relate what I am building and why.

I am running a Bel Canto DAC 3. It is integrated into my Line Stage through the balanced outputs.

Connected to that I am running a Bel Canto CD2 transport. I use the AES/EBU connector for my transport to the DAC because this is the best quality connection available and I give priority to the CD player here.

I will next hook in a TV through the toslink.

From there the only other piece I may integrate is a universal player for other media like DVD as I chose to get a dedicated CD player. I will look for a USB or SPDIF compatible player there to hook in.

Have been able to integrate all my needs so long as planned ahead.

tylercheung
11-29-2018, 10:05 PM
I am no expert but people seem to like Schiit stuff mentioned above.

mcteague
11-30-2018, 06:51 AM

Yup. I have a Schiit Bifrost DAC and an Asgard 2 headphone amp. Good stuff and nice prices. And, made in the USA, if that matters to you.

http://www.schiit.com/home

Tim

William
11-30-2018, 08:34 AM
Yup. I have a Schiit Bifrost DAC and an Asgard 2 headphone amp. Good stuff and nice prices. And, made in the USA, if that matters to you.

http://www.schiit.com/home

Tim

That stuff looks like Schiit! Well, it is. Looking into it.

William

William
11-30-2018, 08:35 AM
Yes. I like to have a single quality DAC that I can route through.

I am just starting to integrate my digital front end into my analog system now so I will at least relate what I am building and why.

I am running a Bel Canto DAC 3. It is integrated into my Line Stage through the balanced outputs.

Connected to that I am running a Bel Canto CD2 transport. I use the AES/EBU connector for my transport to the DAC because this is the best quality connection available and I give priority to the CD player here.

I will next hook in a TV through the toslink.

From there the only other piece I may integrate is a universal player for other media like DVD as I chose to get a dedicated CD player. I will look for a USB or SPDIF compatible player there to hook in.

Have been able to integrate all my needs so long as planned ahead.

Well, I'm not exactly sure what you said here but I'll figure it out.:)

William

Bentley
11-30-2018, 08:56 AM

I am glad I did not chime in earlier. I agree the Schiit DACs are very well reviewed but they are not cheap either.

I use a DAC with my IPhone and it really does make a difference in sound quality, similarly I use one with my laptop.

I think if you are looking for more "life like" sound from Digital Music Sources then a DAC is a necessity. I would offer that you need to have a very discriminating ear to notice the difference.

If you are looking to acquire one, MASSDROP is a good source, they generally have several different ones up for sale. Similarly, there are a number of Headphone and HIFI sites that have a Classified section that will likely have a number of different DACs for sale.

Best

Ray

glepore
11-30-2018, 09:08 AM
Another great streaming trick - the old "airport express" routers had an optical out and work as an airplay device.

This. I have 5 of them-get the second gen that has 5g as the microwave oven can interfere with the 2g. Later ones did away with the optical. I use mine with an optical cable to a MSB DAC. The only downside is your limited to 16/48. If I'm being hyper critical I use a USB spdif (m2 Hiface) that gives me a digital out from my computer while bypassing the internal soundcard.

For the airports I use a windows program called airfoil. It allows streaming to multiple devices or groups.

mcteague
11-30-2018, 11:18 AM
I am glad I did not chime in earlier. I agree the Schiit DACs are very well reviewed but they are not cheap either.

I use a DAC with my IPhone and it really does make a difference in sound quality, similarly I use one with my laptop.

I think if you are looking for more "life like" sound from Digital Music Sources then a DAC is a necessity. I would offer that you need to have a very discriminating ear to notice the difference.

If you are looking to acquire one, MASSDROP is a good source, they generally have several different ones up for sale. Similarly, there are a number of Headphone and HIFI sites that have a Classified section that will likely have a number of different DACs for sale.

Best

Ray

The Schiit Modi DAC is only $99.00. In the audio world, that is dirt cheap.
http://www.schiit.com/products/modi-1

Tim

Gern
11-30-2018, 11:33 AM
I have been quite happy with an Audioquest Dragonfly Red from my laptop to my 2 channel system (Cary SLI 80/Spendor FL10's). The high def tracks from Tidal sound great, and the Dragonfly can handle multiple bitrates. I also have an Esoteric UX-3 disc transport with modded DAC, but I now rarely use it, as streaming with a good quality signal through the AQ Dragonfly sounds very good indeed. I also admit that it's faster to type in what I want to hear rather than searching for and loading a physical disc. The Dragonfly works well with my headphones/in-ear monitors, too.

I use an Apple TV to stream to my surround system (Denon integrated; Monitor Audio Silver fronts; PSB Alpha sub, surround, center) from Tidal and Pandora, as well as the usual video suspects. It sounds just fine. My surround system is not as revealing as my 2 channel set up. I really haven't toyed with an external DAC here, as I feel that the system is adequate.

I have a Megaboom that I stream to with my phone. I mainly use it during surgery, and it sounds quite acceptable, given the typical phone source material and sonic environment. (non-audiophiles think it's excellent, and it will play quite loudly without excessive distortion; one can pair a second unit for stereo as well)

jamesdak
11-30-2018, 12:16 PM
Well, my means of doing like you're looking to do revolve around using an Oppo-103. It has wireless capability so it can access the files on your PC or anything else through your wireless router. It has a ton of various inputs and handles pretty much every High definition file format. My older one has true 7 channel surround sound capability also. I've got it paired to an Yamaha reciever and Klipsch speakers and with high quality digital files it is amazing. It also serves as my Blu-ray, DVD, and CD player. It opens up a whole world of surround sound Blu-Ray of extremely good quality as well as SACD's if you can find them. For me it was just the right choice for a do it all device. It's been going strong for many years now with a hiccup and they seem to keep working on and improving the firmware for it.

William
11-30-2018, 04:05 PM
Well, my means of doing like you're looking to do revolve around using an Oppo-103...

Went to check out Oppo and it appears that they are phasing out production of new products.

William

Bonesbrigade
11-30-2018, 08:50 PM
I have simple system with an external dac. My Mac mini optical out to bel canto dac2 to Monarchy pre amp to carver 2 Channel power amp.

I also have another two systems upstairs using the older airport express optical out to dac/preamps to amps.

I can play music to all 3 systems from my iPhone if I want - accessing the Mac mini flac files remotely.

I’ve been running this exact setup for 10 years without issue.

jamesdak
11-30-2018, 10:37 PM
Went to check out Oppo and it appears that they are phasing out production of new products.

William

:eek: Guess I better look into this. Although to be honest as trouble free as mine has been I'm not too worried.

12-01-2018, 12:55 AM
Yes, Oppo has been out of the business for a year or so. New products are coming out at a ferocious rate with quantum leaps in performance. Astell & Kern are perhaps the biggest name in high end equipment right now. Many of their units merge a headphone amp with the actual DAC so you don't have to sandwich two devices together to make it portable. The only problem I have with the A&K AK70 Mk 2 is that it's been limited to a 256 GB SD card. With a big music collection, you have to swap cards occasionally. But the acoustic quality and battery life and the simple aesthetics and feel of the product are outstanding. At around $500, you have to go to three times the price to find a product that has even marginally better performance. You can go cheaper and get a pretty damned good DAC, but if you spend the $500, you'll die happy still listening to the A&K.

I had a problem with a vast digital library ripped originally in Apple Lossless. I stuck with iTunes until it got increasingly dumbed down and I finally listened to the same music converted to FLAC on an A&K AK70. You can batch convert your files to FLAC and it's worth the effort. You'll hear a demonstrable improvement with a $50 DAC, but if you get the AK70 and convert your files, you'll realize how much of the music you never heard before. It's an epiphanaic moment.

purplecu22
12-01-2018, 02:40 AM
Headfi.org would be a better place to start learning about dac's .

kingpin75s
12-01-2018, 12:45 PM
Well, I'm not exactly sure what you said here but I'll figure it out.:)

William

Key points to infer:

- A good dedicated DAC is generally better than the DAC native to any component therefore if you can use one as a digital hub it will add value to every digital component attached.
- Connections matter. Make sure the DAC you buy has enough connections to meet your needs (connect everything you want to without connector competition) and prioritize your connections based on what sources you value most as not all connections are equal in quality.

belopsky
12-01-2018, 09:51 PM
Just found my Bluetooth adapter. It’s not lossless but this way I can stream to my 2220B