PDA

View Full Version : eBay strangeness

NHAero
11-28-2018, 10:40 PM
I put a Make Offer bid in on Sunday the 25th at 3:40 pm on a set of Suntour Superbe Pro single pivot brake calipers at the starting bid price of $36. I got an email from eBay confirming the offer and saying that the seller had 2 days to respond. I didn't expect to get it, these go for a good bit more. I didn't get a response at all from the seller by the deadline and kind of forgot about it. Today in the afternoon I get an email from eBay with the subject line "Action needed: pay $43.00 to complete your purchase for Vintage Suntour superbe Pro Chrome Road Bike Brakes, Excellent Condition". And in the body of the email it says "Looks like the seller is still waiting for your payment." So I click through and pay with Paypal using a credit card. I got an eBay email subject line "Order Confirmed", but no Paypal confirmation. There is a credit card charge under my Paypal account for the right amount. My eBay page shows an order date of Nov 26th. So far, there's no shipping notification.

Did I get scammed, or did the email that told me the seller accepted my offer get into the Junk folder and I just missed it? eBay says the item will arrive by Dec. 6th USPS Priority Mail.

I wanted these brakes as a period-correct set for my '88 Nagasawa fixed gear road trainer, and I'm also hoping that they may offer a tad more clearance to the front tire, which is very tight with a 25 (so I run a 23), than the Ultegra dual pivot caliper I have on there.

zmalwo
11-28-2018, 11:50 PM
I put a Make Offer bid in on Sunday the 25th at 3:40 pm on a set of Suntour Superbe Pro single pivot brake calipers at the starting bid price of $36. I got an email from eBay confirming the offer and saying that the seller had 2 days to respond. I didn't expect to get it, these go for a good bit more. I didn't get a response at all from the seller by the deadline and kind of forgot about it. Today in the afternoon I get an email from eBay with the subject line "Action needed: pay $43.00 to complete your purchase for Vintage Suntour superbe Pro Chrome Road Bike Brakes, Excellent Condition". And in the body of the email it says "Looks like the seller is still waiting for your payment." So I click through and pay with Paypal using a credit card. I got an eBay email subject line "Order Confirmed", but no Paypal confirmation. There is a credit card charge under my Paypal account for the right amount. My eBay page shows an order date of Nov 26th. So far, there's no shipping notification.

Did I get scammed, or did the email that told me the seller accepted my offer get into the Junk folder and I just missed it? eBay says the item will arrive by Dec. 6th USPS Priority Mail.

I wanted these brakes as a period-correct set for my '88 Nagasawa fixed gear road trainer, and I'm also hoping that they may offer a tad more clearance to the front tire, which is very tight with a 25 (so I run a 23), than the Ultegra dual pivot caliper I have on there.

Go to purchase history and see if it's marked paid, if not that means something went wrong. I highly doubt that your seller scammed you on a pair of vintage brakes as fake e-mail scams are usually electronic product related. Some people take longer to ship your stuff. When I first started selling stuff online I would sometimes procrastinate to Friday for something what was sold on Monday but now I usually ship stuff out the same day. You have at least 2 weeks, although I think you have 30 days, to open a item not received case on eBay or 180 days on Paypal. If you did pay through Paypal then you are good since you are covered.

ultraman6970
11-28-2018, 11:51 PM
Ebay asumes that the guy will ship pretty much right away and thats why you get a date for it, but if the item actually doesnt show as shipped (the icon) it means the item is not shipped yet.

Maybe the email went to the spam folder? who knows. But if you enter your password at pp and all shows up correctly, then the dude still hasnt shipped the item eventhought ebay says it must show up whatever day. Always look at the "shipped" icon.

likebikes
11-29-2018, 09:15 AM
probably russian hacker related.

Spaghetti Legs
11-29-2018, 09:18 AM
Hmmm. I wonder if your offer went in as opening bid. I’ve never put an offer on the auctions with that option, only when BIN is only alternative. I would send seller a message just to make sure al I saw in order. Hope it works out; sounds like a good deal on some nice brakes.

Steve in SLO
11-29-2018, 10:16 AM
This may be too obvious, but why not just contact the seller?
Edit: Oops. Spaghetti Legs beat me to it.

Big Dan
11-29-2018, 10:19 AM
Best offers don't include shipping charges.
Maybe the number is $36.00 + shipping ?

NHAero
11-29-2018, 01:09 PM
The amount charged is correct, $36 plus $7 shipping.
eBay shows it in my Purchases, so expect it's OK. Odd to get no email telling me the offer was accepted, or one from Paypal telling me I paid the seller.

Best offers don't include shipping charges.
Maybe the number is $36.00 + shipping ?

NHAero
11-29-2018, 01:18 PM
I messaged the Seller just now. It's curious to me that the transaction doesn't show in my Paypal account, but on the credit card account that funds Paypal it shows up as the $43 paid.

cinco
11-29-2018, 01:20 PM
Seller has to actively mark it as shipped. Doesn't mean it hasn't shipped either, if he hasn't marked it as such. Might choose to ship by some method not facilitated by Ebay. I agree, check your purchase history to verify you have actually completed your part.