PDA

View Full Version : Superfeet & Sidi's

jckid
11-15-2006, 04:16 PM
I recently started using Superfeet footbeds (the bright green one's) in my running shoes with great results. I decided that Superfeet in my Sidi cycling shoes might be a good idea too. I ordered the grey Superfeet footbeds, since it said they were the right choice for road cycling shoes. I put them in my shoes last night, but it seems like they are made for shoes that are more "ramped" than my Sidi's. There's kind of some "air" between part of the footbed and the shoe in the mid-foot section. I think my Sidi's are called the women's "Lightning". Should I have chosen a different type (color) of Superfeet footbeds, or will the grey one's conform to my shoes and feet over time?

catulle
11-15-2006, 04:22 PM
I wear them on my SIDI shoes and they are great. The ones I use are light blue. I bought them from Mr. Obtuse in Boston and I'm very pleased with them.

JonnyComeLately
11-15-2006, 04:30 PM
I wear the grey ones in my Sidis and love them. In some of my other shoes I've had to trim the front of the footbeds in order to make them fit into the shoes properly. Are you sure they're fitting all the way in?

Johnnyg
11-15-2006, 04:35 PM
I recently started using Superfeet footbeds (the bright green one's) in my running shoes with great results. I decided that Superfeet in my Sidi cycling shoes might be a good idea too. I ordered the grey Superfeet footbeds, since it said they were the right choice for road cycling shoes. I put them in my shoes last night, but it seems like they are made for shoes that are more "ramped" than my Sidi's. There's kind of some "air" between part of the footbed and the shoe in the mid-foot section. I think my Sidi's are called the women's "Lightning". Should I have chosen a different type (color) of Superfeet footbeds, or will the grey one's conform to my shoes and feet over time?
Take the Sidi linner out and trace it on to the Superfeet footbeds and cut it out to the correct shape then go to bed. Good luck JohnnyG

fierte_poser
11-15-2006, 04:36 PM
My superfeet history:

I got superfeet footbeds (blue) when I bought my last pair of ski boots. They felt good in there, so I bought another pair (blue) at REI for a pair of ecco hiking shoes that never felt quite right. Made a big difference. I'm cheap, so I started moving this one pair of superfeet insoles between various shoes, merrell casual shoes, new balance cross trainers, and the afore mentioned eccos.

Fast forward to this year... riding my new road bike with new pedals and new shoes were giving my feet some problems... and I could feel the lack of support. I went to the local performance bike store to check out the superfeet 'road (grey)' and 'mountain (blue)' insoles. Turns out, the 'mountain (blue)' insoles are identical to my existing regular old blue superfeet insoles. I can only assume that there is also nothing special about the 'road' insoles either.

Anyway, I tried the grey and the blue and decided to just use my existing blue insoles in my DMT road shoes. I feel like they give a lot of support for the $$$, but I still might go to a custom footbed due to a lingering hotspot issue on my right foot.

In the end, I think you need to take the superfeet recommendations with a grain of salt. When I was fitted for my ski boots, the boot fitter had me try out the various insoles (green vs blue) by simply setting the insole on the floor and standing on it. Due to the natural (or in my case collapsed) shape of your arch, one will feel better than the other. In my case, the green felt like I was standing on a golf ball while the blue felt just right. In the case of comparing the grey vs the blue earlier this year at performance, the grey felt like standing on the flat floor (no support) while the blue felt just right.

My question to you is... how did you decide on the green insoles for your running shoes (vs another color)? and, have you tried the green insoles in your cycling shoes?

Hope this helps,
Kent

JohnS
11-15-2006, 05:04 PM
I wear the gray in my bike shoes and the green in my hiking and running footwear. The important thing to remember is the color. They make different packaging for different retailers. For example in a staore like REI, the green will have "Hiking" on the package while in a running store it'll have "Running" on it. Same insole...different audience.

jckid
11-15-2006, 05:29 PM
My superfeet history:

My question to you is... how did you decide on the green insoles for your running shoes (vs another color)? and, have you tried the green insoles in your cycling shoes?

Hope this helps,
Kent

I do 99% of my shopping via the Internet, so I ordered my Superfeet footbeds. I had read on some running sites that the green one's worked well with running shoes, so that's how I made my choice. I've tried many other insoles, but these are the only one's that have worked for me, although they did take a few days to get used to.

The green insoles are too thick for my Sidi's, so I bought the grey one's that Superfeet recommends for road cycling shoes. The grey ones are the right shape for my shoes, even without trimming, but it appears that they are made for shoes with a 1/2" to 1" heel. Therefore, they don't seem to lay quite right in the shoe. Maybe I should try the blue one's that some of you have mentioned. It sounds like they might be a little flatter.

Len J
11-15-2006, 05:50 PM
used them for 5+ years with no problems.

Len

JohnS
11-15-2006, 06:07 PM
The green insoles are too thick for my Sidi's, so I bought the grey one's that Superfeet recommends for road cycling shoes. The grey ones are the right shape for my shoes, even without trimming, but it appears that they are made for shoes with a 1/2" to 1" heel. Therefore, they don't seem to lay quite right in the shoe. Maybe I should try the blue one's that some of you have mentioned. It sounds like they might be a little flatter.If you ever really look at a road shoe, you will see that it has an "invisible" heel. Set one down on a level surface with the forefoot of the shoe level. The heel will be over an inch in the air.

stevep
11-15-2006, 06:23 PM
i sell this product that i think is really pretty good for not a lot of money. it is a do it yourself customizable shoe insert called sole custom footbeds.
they retail for $40. they take 3 minutes to form in any oven and they feel good to me.
i use 3 pr of shoes ( winter, mt, road ). in one i have full custom beds that are something like $200..in the other 2 prs i have these things. there is no way i could tell you which was which without looking.
the whole footbed thing can be tricky but these things are way better than the little thing that comes in the shoes...
they also dont take up a lot of room.
decent, simple, easy product.

onekgguy
11-15-2006, 06:44 PM
I'm using the grey Superfeet insoles in my Sidi shoes. They made a world of difference for me compared to what I'd been using. I can't recall what he other product was but I'd bought it at my LBS.

Does anybody have an idea for how many miles I might expect to get out of them before I need to change them out?

Kevin

sailorboy
11-15-2006, 07:20 PM
I have used them for several years in any shoe I can get them into. If you want them to be even more comfortable strip away the cheap foam top that comes with them (or wait until it is worn) and replace it with a thin neoprene top cover from spenco or similar. Super glue it on there and there you go. They will now have the support PLUS cushioning that will eliminate hotspots.
You might add a few grams, but you can always spend $250 on the new skeleton brakes or some ***** and be back ahead of the weight game.

SponsorsWanted
11-15-2006, 09:32 PM
I actually use the green ones in my sidi g-5's, I backpacked in them and loved them so I now move them between my hiking and cycling shoes, unfortunately they don't solve all my problems when cycling so I believe my next shoes will be either R7 or D2

JohnS
11-15-2006, 09:40 PM
I actually use the green ones in my sidi g-5's, I backpacked in them and loved them so I now move them between my hiking and cycling shoes, unfortunately they don't solve all my problems when cycling so I believe my next shoes will be either R7 or D2
Try the gray ones first.

djg
11-15-2006, 10:09 PM
Try the light blue ones--half the thickness of the green, but without the contouring of the gray.

billrick
11-16-2006, 06:06 AM
Blue superfeet in old Sidi Dominators (MTB). Wear them for everything - road, mountain biking, commuting. Wore them to a meeting with coat and tie once when I forgot to pack my Mephistos.

:)

MassBiker
11-16-2006, 06:37 AM
I have to second SteveP's recommendation. I currently have 3 pairs of Sole footbeds and they are great....they have a 90 day money back guarantee as well. Dean Karnazes ran 50 marathons in 50 days on Sole footbeds.

Another great product is the Aline footbeds.
http://www.aline.com/welcome.html

Then again I also like the Blue Superfeet.
I guess it is like choosing a saddle, what works for you may not work for others.

:beer:

Avispa
11-16-2006, 08:18 AM
IMO, When chossing these off-the-shelf insoles, it has always worked out for me to use NOT what most people say, but what is right for you!

I have seen people using one size larger, because they say they have a longer arch. Others are happy using a walking insole to run, etc.

So, try them all and go with what you like the best! Today, I have confined my Superfeet for walking, everyday, shoes. I use the Green ones for high shoes, like boots. The black ones for dress shoes. And the blue for sneakers... Another thing is to find insloes that fit the womans foot correctly.

I tried many of these insloes and I was better than without them, BUT, the real difference to me came when I had custom made insoles at Podium Footwear in Boulder, CO.

Happy feet = happy person! I would never go back to non-custom insoles...

Tailwinds
11-16-2006, 09:12 AM
I use the gray ones in my Sidi's w/no problems. I use the men's version of Sidi's, though, so maybe that's the difference.

tomwd3
11-16-2006, 11:30 AM
I have 1 pair of the light blue ones I move back and forth between 2 pairs of SIDI's (MTB and road). solid support, not alot of dough. Plus when it gets really cold, you can just pull them out and have room for a nice mid-weight smartwool sock!

thejen12
11-16-2006, 02:01 PM
I find that my Sidis have too high an arch for me, so I've relegated them to commute shoes. Do you think adding Superfeet would help? I don't see how adding more insole would make the arch feel lower, but just thought I'd ask.

I tried the Sole product, but the arch was in the wrong place for my foot, even though the size was right for me. The company honored their money-back guarantee, and seem like great folks to deal with. I've never had that arch-fitting problem with Superfeet.

Jenn

AgilisMerlin
03-11-2007, 02:02 PM
just bought some blue superfeet for my carbon shyutmano torturous road shoes.

Feel OK

how long to break these in ?

Curious

amerliN

djg
03-11-2007, 10:52 PM
The grey ones seem to me to have a strange ramp to them. I like the light blue ones.

chakatrain
03-11-2007, 11:01 PM
I've used the black ones for about a year and a half.

The first time I used them, I felt off balance, as if my knees were too far outside the center of my body. Looking in the mirror, however, I could see that, when using the black superfeet insoles, my knees were actually in line with my legs instead of being bowed inward.

I haven't really noticed a difference cycling, but it hasn't been bad, either.

sbornia
03-11-2007, 11:13 PM
I use the black ones, too, and am now on my second pair. Not sure how many miles I got out of the first set, probably around 5k. At that point, I started to get some hotspots and calluses on my big toes. So I put in a fresh pair, and the pain went away.