PDA

View Full Version : Brake Bleed Kits/Tools-Recommendations

Tommasini53
11-28-2018, 07:33 AM
I'm in need of a brake bleed kit and curious what brands forumites use and recommend. I see the Shimano branded kits and a couple other brands that are more universal than just one brand. If you've come across any informative websites, please pass those along too.

It is certainly time to learn this procedure. No, I'm not taking it to a shop period.

This is my wife's Specialized Diverge with Ultegra disc brakes. Rear brake has become progressively soft and spongy so friends have said that its likely air bubbles in the line. It is two years old now, friends have said that's about the time frame for bleeding out the fluid. thanks in advance.

adamm_89
11-28-2018, 07:54 AM
For bleed kits every brand has their own fittings they seem to use and procedures seem to vary a bit from brake to brake .
https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-TL-BT03-Disc-Brake-Bleed-Tool
That kit should do the job for most shimano brakes.
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/shimano-st-r9120-funnel-adapter-o-ring
That adapter you'll need for the newer hydro road levers.

adamm_89
11-28-2018, 07:56 AM
Another thing to keep an eye out for is make sure both pistons are moving smoothly. If they aren't you can get a feeling like you are experiencing as well.

Gummee
11-28-2018, 11:44 AM
For bleed kits every brand has their own fittings they seem to use and procedures seem to vary a bit from brake to brake .
https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-TL-BT03-Disc-Brake-Bleed-Tool
That kit should do the job for most shimano brakes.
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/shimano-st-r9120-funnel-adapter-o-ring
That adapter you'll need for the newer hydro road levers.

The bike *should* have come with the Shimano road lever adaptor. I know my last Cervelo did. I think the new 8020 stuff had one in the bag, but since I already had one, I didn't pay attention.

AFA bleed kits/etc: I have used Finish Line mineral oil in Shimano systems with no apparent ill effects, but if you ask Shimano, they'll tell you in no uncertain terms that it's their fluid only.

I have the basic kit at home, as well as an AL machined cup from another forum member's experiments. Haven't bled brakes at home yet, but may need to in the near future. My All City is a little spongy in the back.

I got a deal on a Shimano hose cutter/barb installer tool. Thanks Black Friday (week) so I can finally finish my 2 new frames. I've used Jagwire's tools and they work, but I found that the Shimano tool did it slightly better. ...with everything YMMV

M

Tommasini53
11-28-2018, 07:53 PM
Another thing to keep an eye out for is make sure both pistons are moving smoothly. If they aren't you can get a feeling like you are experiencing as well.

thanks for the parts list. yeah I'm checking and cleaning the pistons this evening. I'm learning a good deal about disc maintenance this week. And I'm really glad I didn't put them on my gravel bike.

oldpotatoe
11-29-2018, 06:34 AM
thanks for the parts list. yeah I'm checking and cleaning the pistons this evening. I'm learning a good deal about disc maintenance this week. And I'm really glad I didn't put them on my gravel bike.

DOH!!:eek:

Tommasini53
11-29-2018, 07:29 PM
DOH!!:eek:

to explain... my spouse purchased a Spectrekizled gravel bike with disc brakes. As the resident mechanic I'm learning the disc brake routine. I went with a custom frame with Paul Mini-Moto brakes (love them). I'll go to disc brakes when all of the teams starting the grand tours are on them for the entire season; probably a decade from now, or two.

tigoat
11-30-2018, 07:28 AM
I have used many breed kits over the years but I do not have a preference for any brand. Most kits are throw away items after a few uses so I would not spend a premium on any of them. Some of the cheap unknown breed kits I found on Ebay were actually pretty good.

oldpotatoe
11-30-2018, 08:00 AM
I have used many breed kits over the years but I do not have a preference for any brand. Most kits are throw away items after a few uses so I would not spend a premium on any of them. Some of the cheap unknown breed kits I found on Ebay were actually pretty good.

:)

hoonjr
01-15-2019, 12:18 PM
I just purchased and used the Revmega kit from Amazon to bleed by shimano brakes on my around town bike. It worked great. Whatever kit you get I would recommend you get the brake bleed block. I guess you could use a stack of credit cards but the block made the bleed process a breeze.