PDA

View Full Version : Lock suggestions

Bud
11-15-2006, 01:29 PM
I am in need of a simple, lightweight lock to use on my commuter. It never sits locked up very long (I bring it inside while at work). This would be for the occasional grocery stop on the way home, etc. Any advice/source would be welcomed.

I was thinking about this little (low-security) one:

thejen12
11-15-2006, 01:34 PM
I always bring my bike into the store with me for such errands, and no one ever has a problem with it.

Jenn

Bud
11-15-2006, 01:36 PM
I always bring my bike into the store with me for such errands, and no one ever has a problem with it.

Jenn

The aisles in Whole foods aren't big enough for that, given the number of people :) . Seriously, though- even in Boulder there are places where that wouldn't fly. I need to use a lock.

thejen12
11-15-2006, 01:56 PM
I've taken my bike in Whole Foods, it's skinnier than a cart! (And our Whole Foods has tiny isles, too.) Usually when I'm on my way home from work, I'm not doing an all out shopping job, just running in for one or two things. I'm in and out before they can find the store manager. :D I figure that if they can't deny wheelchairs and baby strollers, they can't deny the bike. I've never even been questioned.

Sorry to hear that doesn't fly in Boulder (but I would still do it until they actually kicked me out, only then would I buy a lock... or, actually, I would shop elsewhere).

Jenn

fiamme red
11-15-2006, 01:57 PM
It would just be a matter of time before a thief snips the cable and walks off with your bike. Is it worth so little to you?

Bud
11-15-2006, 02:04 PM
It would just be a matter of time before a thief snips the cable and walks off with your bike. Is it worth so little to you?

No, it is not worth that little to me.

That is part of the reason I am deliberating on the purchase. However, I do not want to carry around some 5 kg piece of logging chain either. When I'm commuting, I already carry an a$$load of paper and books (and the laptop), so I'd like to find something that's fairly secure but not too heavy.

Any experiences people have had with locks that seem to fill these criteria is welcomed.

fiamme red
11-15-2006, 02:08 PM
No, it is not worth that little to me.

That is part of the reason I am deliberating on the purchase. However, I do not want to carry around some 5 kg piece of logging chain either. When I'm commuting, I already carry an a$$load of paper and books (and the laptop), so I'd like to find something that's fairly secure but not too heavy.

Any experiences people have had with locks that seem to fill these criteria is welcomed.Good article:

http://www.slate.com/id/2140083.

Kevan
11-15-2006, 02:14 PM
for a coiled cable lock. Nothing heavy-duty, and with combination, no key to lose (Write the combo on your shoe, least you forget.). You want to tie the bike to a permanent structure so it can't be walked. Master or somebodies.

http://www.bikesomewhere.com/images/large/onguard_doberman5031.jpg

Bud
11-15-2006, 02:15 PM
Good article:

http://www.slate.com/id/2140083.

Good article- thanks for sharing. :)

The scoring metric is a bit interesting. . . but the info is substantive.

Fixed
11-15-2006, 02:26 PM
I am in need of a simple, lightweight lock to use on my commuter. It never sits locked up very long (I bring it inside while at work). This would be for the occasional grocery stop on the way home, etc. Any advice/source would be welcomed.

I was thinking about this little (low-security) one:

I use one of those sometimes ( wild oats) but i take my ft, wheels in with me . for longer away from the bike trips i use a welded chain and a padlock.
cheers

samtaylor1
11-15-2006, 03:17 PM
Locks stop casual thieves, and almost any decent lock will do. Fortunately most thiefs are just that casual and opportunistic, but NOTHING will stop a bike thief. That being said you must either have a set of skewer locks- kryptonite makes a good set (though they make it a pain to change a tire) or a cable lock system.

Also if you are always going to the same place you can buy and leave a huge lock there. I leave a huge NY Kryptonite chain lock- the one that is 100 pounds at school.

deechee
11-15-2006, 04:25 PM
for a coiled cable lock. Nothing heavy-duty, and with combination, no key to lose (Write the combo on your shoe, least you forget.). You want to tie the bike to a permanent structure so it can't be walked. Master or somebodies.

http://www.bikesomewhere.com/images/large/onguard_doberman5031.jpg

hey I have this lock!
its managed to keep my bike in one piece so far! And I work in downtown Montreal (although I lock my bike in a rather obscure, dark area - our "designated" bike area)

Peter P.
11-15-2006, 09:05 PM
The type of lock you use should reflect the threat you'll encounter.
For instance, if you live in the middle of Nowheresville, you could probably get away with no lock at all. In a relatively safe suburban/country area, you might use a simple cable lock. In the inner-city of a larger metropolitan area, perhaps only a U-lock will do.

So assess the areas you're likely to travel to on your bike and buy accordingly. Personally, I'd shy away from those locks with the resettable dials; as a kid I watched the local dirtbag show us punks how easy it was to pick them. I'm not crazy about keyed locks either; what if you forget your key or lose it when you need it? My preference is a good ol' combination lock because only if I leave my brain home will I be unable to open it.

Cable locks are easy to store, lightweight, and come in various lengths and cable diameters (your bike shop should be able to get them in lengths up to at least 7 feet).

Another alternative is to use TWO locks. A cable lock will keep the frame and wheels together while an additional U-lock could secure the frame to a fixed object. With two separate locks the aggregate weight could still be less than one mondo-lock, yet more effective as it slows down the thief.

Always lock your bike in a highly visible location as thieves hate crowds and the attention their work draws; I don't know why... Lock it to an immovable object; some thieves have been known to rig signposts to easily lift out of the ground and merely wait for some unsuspecting chump to lock their bike to the "trick" sign. And consider getting a bike that you won't care about getting stolen-used, cannibalized, spray painted black, etc., for peace of mind.

I believe the statistics show that 80% or more of all bikes stolen are either not locked or not locked to a fixed object. I can speak from experience; both of my stolen bikes were not locked, and never have I had my bike stolen while it was locked; all I use is a Master combination lock and a 6ft. cable.