PDA

View Full Version : pedal suggestions

Fina1
11-15-2006, 01:16 PM
I've been using Speedplay pedals for several years now having switched over from Looks after undergoing knee surgery. I was told that the float of the Speedplays might be easier on the knee and that has been the case. However, I wonder if the larger platform afforded by most other pedals is a more efficient way to go. Any thoughts about the range of pedals available out there? The Speedplays are comfortable, but I wonder how they stack up for power transfer versus othe rmodels. Obviously, winter is coming and it's time to tinker.

terrytnt
11-15-2006, 01:45 PM
I personally have had great experience with the DA PD-7800 pedals, comfortable, no injuries or leg problems. Furthermore, word is in Jan 07, Shimano releases an upgraded version of the 7800.

Lanternrouge
11-15-2006, 02:20 PM
I think the actual platform for pressure distribution on your shoe is actually larger for Speedplays than other pedals. With regard to power transfer, I've heard John Howard say that you lose a fair amount of power with the free float, but he really likes the Zeros set up without float.

If you're going to tinker, you might as well start with Zeros since at least you know where the cleat will go on your shoe. If you do that, I recommend taking digital photos of the bottoms of your shoes before removing the old cleats.

petitelilpettit
11-15-2006, 02:20 PM
The major improvement is a larger platform for the cleat interface. I saw it on Tony Cruz's bike when he was at our swap meet on Sunday. I'm not entirely sure about power transfer, but from what I understand, the shoe has a greater effect on power transfer than the pedal. But what do I know? I'm just a 19 year old college student.

What shoes are you running?

Pettit

ajhoop
11-15-2006, 02:40 PM
I made the switch from Speedplay zero's to Time RXS last year and am happy that I did. I think the Time's are just slightly harder to clip in, but I like everything else about them (other than the fact that I was just without for a week due to their recall!).

cpg
11-15-2006, 02:43 PM
Power transfer? ***? I like Time pedals and don't believe pedals have any effect on power transfer. But that's me. I do like to say power transfer though. Especially if I use that monster truck rally announcer voice. You know you've got that voice in there.

Curt

TAW
11-15-2006, 02:55 PM
Maybe I'm the only one, but I switched from Look to Time, and I've been disappointed. The RXS pedals I have now are harder to clip into, don't give that secure snap when clipped in, and STILL SQUEAK just like the old Looks did. Arggh!

coylifut
11-15-2006, 02:57 PM
Power transfer. that was so last Tuesday

zank
11-15-2006, 03:57 PM
Especially if I use that monster truck rally announcer voice. You know you've got that voice in there.

Curt

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!!!! We'll sell you the whole seat, but you'll only need THE EEDDDDGGGGEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simon Q
11-15-2006, 04:10 PM
I went from Look to Time RXS and love them. The snap in and out isn't as clear but you quickly get used to that and once you are in I prefer the way the float works and the feel of connection/platform over the Looks. The Time RXE that I have on my commuter/wet bike are amazing bang for buck.

Big Dan
11-15-2006, 04:14 PM
TIME.......

:beer:

CNY rider
11-15-2006, 05:24 PM
Curt you need good "power transfer" to fully enjoy the benefits of a "stiff yet remarkably vertically compliant" frame. Dude, I figured you would have known that ;)

Power transfer? ***? I like Time pedals and don't believe pedals have any effect on power transfer. But that's me. I do like to say power transfer though. Especially if I use that monster truck rally announcer voice. You know you've got that voice in there.

Curt

BillyBear
11-15-2006, 05:29 PM
eggbeater quattro...love them

pdxmech13
11-15-2006, 09:41 PM
When did a sound "click" make anyone feel secure ?

Simon Q
11-16-2006, 12:35 AM
When did a sound "click" make anyone feel secure ?

Love the pic pdx - those gun dudes totally freak me out.

GregL
11-16-2006, 08:18 AM
I have various versions of the Shimano SPD-SLs on all my road bikes. All work great. Large platform, reasonably light, rugged, reliable, various cleats available for different amounts of rotation, and no unintended release. Two thumbs up!

Regards,
Greg

davids
11-16-2006, 08:19 AM
I have various versions of the Shimano SPD-SLs on all my road bikes. All work great. Large platform, reasonably light, rugged, reliable, various cleats available for different amounts of rotation, and no unintended release. Two thumbs up!

Regards,
Greg
+1

And they look good.

sspielman
11-16-2006, 08:22 AM
Time...the King of pedals.

Fina1
11-16-2006, 12:06 PM
The major improvement is a larger platform for the cleat interface. I saw it on Tony Cruz's bike when he was at our swap meet on Sunday. I'm not entirely sure about power transfer, but from what I understand, the shoe has a greater effect on power transfer than the pedal. But what do I know? I'm just a 19 year old college student.

What shoes are you running?

Pettit
Sidi's - not sure what model, they're a few years old. Maybe a new shoe is another consideration.

Avispa
11-16-2006, 11:58 PM
I have used Time pedals for the longest time...

Recently, I tried the Look Keo HM Carbon pedals and made the mistake of trying them with the gray cleat (5 degree float). I should have used the red cleat (9 degree) as I was coming from a "super" float type pedal... In any case, I was no where close to the feeling I had with the Time pedals; so I went back to Time after a couple of rides.

There is one thing you should be aware of, Time pedals have all kinds of adjustments on the pedals AND the cleats!

When I re-mounted the cleats this time around, I put them at the zero degree angle position and also changed the cleat to the q-factor that is 2.5mm farther from the spindle. I like the feel better than with the +5 I had them before. I didn't feel any power loss/gain when going from one pedal to the other. I do love the feel I get when I am off the saddle (climbing or otherwise) with the Time.

I think Time pedals are a great, but I surely wish they didn't have so many damn problems: A recall with the RXS, paint peeling off on the Impacts, spindles rusting on the steel RXS, etc. On the other hand, I have had great luck with the newer Time cleats as they do not seem to sqweak at all on older pedals or as the first generation cleats when the RXS came out...