PDA

View Full Version : Cabin fever in November - uh, oh

tv_vt
11-27-2018, 03:35 PM
It's not even December and we've had three snowstorms already up here in the North Country. Not looking good for a cyclist.

How far would I have to drive to get to bikeable weather and terrain this time of year?!

merckx
11-27-2018, 03:51 PM
It's not even December and we've had three snowstorms already up here in the North Country. Not looking good for a cyclist.

How far would I have to drive to get to bikeable weather and terrain this time of year?!

Get some Nordic skis at West Hill and don't fret. And then to fill the other hollows, build some wheels, glue some tires, mend your jerseys, and when you are finished, the willows will be beckoning.

Hilltopperny
11-27-2018, 03:53 PM
I feel your pain. It has been snowing for a couple of weeks in this neck of the woods.

I ordered a smart trainer, but would prefer some outdoor riding. The roads here are sloppy and salted.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

fkelly
11-27-2018, 04:00 PM
Depends on what you can tolerate. Closest drive that might have 50's temps would be south of D.C. somewhere near the coast, say Richmond VA or warmer (Myrtle Beach). Even that can be very iffy from December on. Fly to Florida or West Coast to be surer of weather.

MattTuck
11-27-2018, 04:33 PM
We lost power last night at 9pm. Still out. Best guess is tomorrow for restoring power.

Bought a generator today in leb. This sucks.

Matthew
11-27-2018, 04:34 PM
Same here. Michigan blows this time of year and this year seems to be even worse so far. Well below average all fall. Like 15-20 degrees most days. Love Michigan, but winter sucks.

weisan
11-27-2018, 04:42 PM
tv pal, Austin TX is still open for business, come on down, I will ride with you anytime.

Spaghetti Legs
11-27-2018, 06:21 PM
Charlottesville VA 44 degrees today. Roads were dry - a rarity recently - and I did a short ride. There was snow up in DC last weekend but we just had rain here.

dogrange
11-27-2018, 06:24 PM
First ride on the trainer of the season today. I’m not gonna lie, it totally sucked. Early snow now turned to ice here in Chicagoland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joosttx
11-27-2018, 06:30 PM
Here is some inspiration:

My son ran a very hilly mile, shirtless, doing the makarana in cold, cold rain after school.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4876/45169390175_542ab01c74_c.jpg

peanutgallery
11-27-2018, 08:41 PM
You live in Vermont...the resorts are opening up...go skiing

Got all my stuff ready to go, new custom footbeds in my boots, be up that way in a few weeks. More snow, Baby!!!!

mhespenheide
11-27-2018, 10:16 PM
Well, out here near Santa Barbara, it is going to dip down to a high of mid-50's this week. I might have to break out the knee warmers and a long sleeve jersey.

On the other hand, we'll probably be on fire in a year or two, so...

Ken Robb
11-27-2018, 10:21 PM
If you have the option of just driving south until you hot "riding" weather that's what I would do but keeping in mind that cold and rainy isn't mush better than snowy weather for riding.

Luwabra
11-27-2018, 10:32 PM

Waaaaait a minute. I’m hoping for snow! I just got a new fatbike. It’s silly fun. Like 39 year old grown ass man giggling type fun and still a great workout

Alaska Mike
11-28-2018, 12:52 AM
All the fatbikers up here are complaining about it being too warm. All the snow is melting away or turning into ice.

I, on the other hand, have been on the trainer for a couple months.

commonguy001
11-28-2018, 05:38 AM
I’m far enough north that driving to ride isn’t really realistic if winter has set in. My morning commutes have been 12-16 degrees this week but afternoons have at least been in the 20s. Other than commutes with the long way home on river trails I’m pretty much on the trainer during the week. November has been a cold one this year and October wasn’t great either. We actually got 2 inches of snow on our last camping trip in late October.

My light at the end of the winter tunnel is March 1st when we’re leaving for a month in Arizona.

dancinkozmo
11-28-2018, 06:00 AM
fatbikes are a hoot OP should rent one and give it a try !

biker72
11-28-2018, 07:13 AM
I’m far enough north that driving to ride isn’t really realistic if winter has set in. My morning commutes have been 12-16 degrees this week but afternoons have at least been in the 20s. Other than commutes with the long way home on river trails I’m pretty much on the trainer during the week. November has been a cold one this year and October wasn’t great either. We actually got 2 inches of snow on our last camping trip in late October.

My light at the end of the winter tunnel is March 1st when we’re leaving for a month in Arizona.

I guess you folks in snow county just adapt to the temperature. I've ridden to work in the 20's and had so many layers of clothes on I could hardly move.:) I can't imagine riding in the teens.

MattTuck
11-28-2018, 07:30 AM
I personally don't consider it safe to ride much below 25 degrees, especially alone. Yes, you can do it, but the clothes you are wearing are really designed to keep you warm when you are working somewhat hard. One mechanical, flat, wheel wash out, you can get real cold, really fast.

p nut
11-28-2018, 08:33 AM

Sounds like perfect bikeable weather to me!

http://content.bikeroar.com/system/content/000/085/370/original/surly-neck-romancer-pugsley-fat-bike.jpg?1384227766