PDA

View Full Version : What to do with older Vamoots that's got a ding

commonguy001
11-27-2018, 09:46 AM
So I've had this bike in the house since 2006 ish, it's a 01 or 02 I bought lightly used. In 08 I got hit by a car on it and the rear wheel was taco'd, fork wrecked and the left seat stay has a pretty nice ding in it. I took it down to the frame and it hung for a few years. Since then I rebuilt it and first used it on the trainer and then after realizing the bike was still straight I rode it for maybe 8k miles before retiring it for the 2014 Vamoots I now have.

Come 2019 I'm going to have to trim my bike stable down to about 2 from the 8 or so I have now. So I have this Vamoots that I'm never going to ride but have very mixed feelings about how I get rid of it. I don't feel it's worth fixing for me and Moots actually told me to just ride it as they didn't want to deal with it.
Is something like this worth anything? Should I cut it up and permanently retire it? Looking to the collective wisdom of the forum for advice on this one!

Nooch
11-27-2018, 09:47 AM
so, what size is it? :)

rollingbarge
11-27-2018, 09:49 AM
If you don’t want to ride it I would suggest some wall art! Sounds like it had good memories. Wish I had saved an old bike that had a similar past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jghall
11-27-2018, 09:51 AM
2nd the wall art recommendation.

commonguy001
11-27-2018, 09:53 AM
It's a 57.5 from back in the day.

I'd wall art it but we're going to be moving across the country and are selling nearly everything we can't fit in our RV. The current plan it to stay in that until we decide if we want to buy or whatever.

jtakeda
11-27-2018, 09:58 AM
You could sell it and you’ll get SOMETHING for it but not much.

If you don’t absolutely need the money I’d either
A) turn it into a dedicated winter/ errand bike
B) donate it to a local up and coming racer and tell them to watch that ding!

AngryScientist
11-27-2018, 09:58 AM
no need for wall art.

moots told you to ride it, and you've put 8000 "validation" miles on that diagnosis, so just sell it for a reduced figure with that full disclosure. it'll sell. moots are awesome.

chiasticon
11-27-2018, 10:27 AM
curious to see how bad the ding is. did Moots inspect it personally before telling you it's good to go, or they could tell from pictures?

Angry is right though, you've already verified that it's ride-able/safe. you may not get the price you want out of it; but if you're looking to cut back, sacrifices must be made. even if someone's afraid of the ding, would make a baller trainer bike.

Cornfed
11-27-2018, 10:31 AM
For those of us who love a level top tube, those older Vamoots are gold. My 2002 w YBB is my all-day, every day bike.

jemdet
11-27-2018, 10:35 AM
No kind of mid-ride failure is good, but I'd take a seat stay failure over just about anything else. JUST MY OPINION.

You already know that the safest answer is to not ride a frame that you aren't sure about. Given that Moots told you to ride it, I bet that it'll be fine.

cmg
11-27-2018, 10:47 AM
post a photo of the dent. so the forum can comment to oblivion....

Ralph
11-27-2018, 10:57 AM
Post it in classifieds with good pics....and explanation....see if you get any offers

bitt3n
11-27-2018, 11:14 AM
So I've had this bike in the house since 2006 ish, it's a 01 or 02 I bought lightly used. In 08 I got hit by a car on it and the rear wheel was taco'd, fork wrecked and the left seat stay has a pretty nice ding in it. I took it down to the frame and it hung for a few years. Since then I rebuilt it and first used it on the trainer and then after realizing the bike was still straight I rode it for maybe 8k miles before retiring it for the 2014 Vamoots I now have.

Come 2019 I'm going to have to trim my bike stable down to about 2 from the 8 or so I have now. So I have this Vamoots that I'm never going to ride but have very mixed feelings about how I get rid of it. I don't feel it's worth fixing for me and Moots actually told me to just ride it as they didn't want to deal with it.
Is something like this worth anything? Should I cut it up and permanently retire it? Looking to the collective wisdom of the forum for advice on this one!

sell it to that dude who wants a ti beater race bike

jtbadge
11-27-2018, 11:16 AM
sell it to that dude who wants a ti beater race bike

Yeah, that would be perfect if it fits!

commonguy001
11-27-2018, 12:12 PM
This forum is the best!!!

Thanks for all the input, I'll dig it out and snap some pictures. After I built it back up and rode it all I kept thinking was how great of a bike it still was with that silky smooth ride. It'd make a great cheap ti bike to try out the moots magic knowing up front it'd been through some stuff.

paredown
11-27-2018, 04:16 PM
I'll be interested to see it--I like level top tubes and have been thinking about bargain titanium...

weisan
11-27-2018, 04:36 PM
Common pal, this is how I ended up with most of my so-called "broken" frames except i am the one who took the leap of faith in getting them over to my place and ride the snot out of em' to "validate" and prove that these franes are not beyond redemption and their "sell by" date. In fact, I just rode a "cracked" carbon bike this morning, it was really an awesome bike, the frameset itself brand new retails at MSRP$4,999 but I will never pay this kinda money for a bike so I guess I lucked out. I do appreciate that different people have different tolerance level and those cracks found on the carbon bike may well be outside of their comfort zone. That's ok, and actually I am counting on that to be true, call me crazy or stupid but things like this don't really faze me, that's why I ended up with the broken frames that I did. Yours being a titanium, I would have even less concern.

oldpotatoe
11-28-2018, 07:16 AM

"With enough money, you can do anything"..for enough $, Moots will replace the stay and refurb the frame BUT if it's rideable, sell it as that, rideable but not dangerous damage as per the manufacturer. DON'T cut it up fer crips sake..it's rideable. Cracked carbon or aluminum or steel or titanium? No thanks...But a dent in a ridden and certified by Moots frame..sell it.

dbh
11-28-2018, 08:14 AM
Throw it up on the classifieds here (or if no nibbles, the bay). Take many pics and give a detailed description of the bike and its history. Assuming it's not wonky custom geo, I bet someone looking for well constructed Ti winter bike would be interested. Be realistic with your price, and it will sell for sure.

commonguy001
11-28-2018, 09:12 AM
All,
I had a couple of PMs and happy to say that it's on the way to a new home at what was a fair price for both of us.

Super happy with the outcome, it'll get some good use and I'm down a frame. Now to sell off 5 more :eek: so I can get down to my traveling quiver.

fogrider
11-28-2018, 08:31 PM
This forum is the best!!!

Thanks for all the input, I'll dig it out and snap some pictures. After I built it back up and rode it all I kept thinking was how great of a bike it still was with that silky smooth ride. It'd make a great cheap ti bike to try out the moots magic knowing up front it'd been through some stuff.

I love bikes like this! bikes don't need to be pristine, a few battle scares shows the history of the bike and you'll have stories to tell. old bikes will not have the tire clearance or disc brakes, but if its a great riding bike, that's what really matters.

texbike
11-28-2018, 10:36 PM
Congrats to the new owner! Such great, classic bikes. I want to give mine a hug every time I ride it.

texbike

bthomas515
12-16-2018, 12:11 AM
All,
I had a couple of PMs and happy to say that it's on the way to a new home at what was a fair price for both of us.

Super happy with the outcome, it'll get some good use and I'm down a frame. Now to sell off 5 more :eek: so I can get down to my traveling quiver.

What other bikes are you selling? :)

dookie
12-16-2018, 08:04 AM
Whoever bought it...

You might contact Jim Kish for a repair estimate.