PDA

View Full Version : Energy Gels?

Hawker
11-26-2018, 09:52 AM
I checked the archives and it appears no one has talked about this subject in a few years. Perhaps they are passe'?

None the less, I like energy gels and use multiple brands throughout the year. Mostly fruit and caffeine flavors. I like the convenience, different flavors and they seem to work quickly if I'm on the edge of a bonk. Anyone found anything that they "really" like and...any on-line sales right now? I really hate paying more than $1.50 per.

dbnm
11-26-2018, 09:58 AM
Try these (https://www.scienceinsport.com/us/us/special-offers?utm_source=Science%20in%20Sport&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=10047982_US%20-%2048%20-%20Monday%20-%20Cyber%20Week%20New%20Offer&dm_i=2578,5ZD2M,QT40FN,NFXYP,1)

rePhil
11-26-2018, 10:33 AM
I have been using their Isotonic gels lately as well. They are designed to be used without needing to wash them down with water.
They occasionally run promos for free gels, just pay for shipping.

Try these (https://www.scienceinsport.com/us/us/special-offers?utm_source=Science%20in%20Sport&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=10047982_US%20-%2048%20-%20Monday%20-%20Cyber%20Week%20New%20Offer&dm_i=2578,5ZD2M,QT40FN,NFXYP,1)

pgrizzwald
11-26-2018, 10:36 AM
SIS are the best. Or, whatever doesn't cause you stomach issues really....

benb
11-26-2018, 10:39 AM
I used them a bit earlier this year but just for really long rides where I really needed tons of calories and/or was trying to stay in group(s) and it is easier to take a gel in the group.

Not necessarily unpleasant but they sure aren't real food either, if I am by myself and can I would rather eat bars which seem closer to "real food".

Tony T
11-26-2018, 11:00 AM
...Anyone found anything that they "really" like and...any on-line sales right now? I really hate paying more than $1.50 per.

Today's the day to buy HoneySinger (https://www.honeystinger.com) Gels: 50% off (and Free Shipping with code FREESTING)
$18 for a box of 24 (75c/gel)

drewskey
11-26-2018, 11:01 AM
SIS are the best. Or, whatever doesn't cause you stomach issues really....

I've created many SIS addicts over the years. First gel is free!:p

John H.
11-26-2018, 11:58 AM
Gu makes a cake batter flavor.
What else do you need to know?

benadrian
11-26-2018, 12:31 PM
I had my first energy gel last weekend. It was fine, but even being super careful the used wrapper still made a mess in my pocket. My mini pump still has goo on it.

Hawker
11-26-2018, 01:21 PM
Thanks guys and most appreciated.

And yes, a big part of Gels is learning how to dispose of the wrapper without leaving a sticky mess in your pocket. But of course...we will NEVER toss it to the side of the road like those TDF creatins.

benb
11-26-2018, 01:46 PM
The goo always comes out in the wash.

danesgod
11-26-2018, 03:23 PM
I buy boxes of the margarita (triple salt) cliff shot blocks. I take these on all my mountain bike rides. Definitely best flavor to my palate and my preferred method of electrolyte intake. I even take them on long rock climbing days now, particularly when its hotter.

For the past ~year I brought both Gu and Roctane on road rides longer than a few hours and pop them before hills, but honestly I haven't done enough experimenting to have a solid opinion. They are convenient and give me energy, but I'm not convinced its "better" than more normal foods: candy, caffiene, actual meals, PB&J, fruit.

Then again, I'm not out racing anyone. So it makes sense that I prefer these "convenience" items when I want to carry less ****: backcountry riding / rock climbing.

Spaghetti Legs
11-26-2018, 03:39 PM
I got into the habit of using gels when I did group rides and races. Don’t really do that anymore but still like ‘em. I haven’t experimented much but like Clif Shot Vanilla and Strawberry (caffeinated). Some brands get too runny in hot weather but not the Clif.

Check out Performance with their bankruptcy they have some deals. I bought a couple of boxes recently that work out to about $0.80 each.

dustyrider
11-26-2018, 04:04 PM
I’m not a fan of them as a rule. I prefer untapped maple syrup and honey sticks from somewhere in the state if I don’t want to chew.

pdmtong
11-26-2018, 05:15 PM
Today's the day to buy HoneySinger (https://www.honeystinger.com) Gels: 50% off (and Free Shipping with code FREESTING)
$18 for a box of 24 (75c/gel)
thanks for the reminder to make my annual HS purchase
I had my first energy gel last weekend. It was fine, but even being super careful the used wrapper still made a mess in my pocket. My mini pump still has goo on it.
I typically use gels to start or at a stop with a trash can. when on bike I like the blocks or chews to minimize the mess.

Sjambok
11-26-2018, 07:29 PM
I try to use regular food (dates, simple sweet potato burrito, etc) but still will have GU Roctanes for when I feel down in the dumps near the end of a long ride. The Hammer nutrition ones aren’t bad. They just are pricey for $/calorie.

I like to fold them and stash them under my bib shorts. Still a little messy but at least it’s not in my pockets.

sib
11-26-2018, 08:32 PM
I like the Clif gels with 100mg caffeine.
Just bought a couple of boxes from iHerb.

FastforaSlowGuy
11-26-2018, 10:23 PM
I’ve gotten hooked on these but they’re crazy expensive so I tend to use them in hard days when I would have a tough time digesting other stuff. Got them from The Feed.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181127/a71424c8ef25d7407f645059e2398e45.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vientomas
11-26-2018, 10:38 PM
Hammer gel in a bottle: https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/hammer-nutrition-hammer-gel-26-servings?v=0000005&adl=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0eml5t_z3gIVhgJpCh3_UwXSEAQYASAB EgJgGfD_BwE

Decanted into a flask: https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/hammer-nutrition-gel-flask-holds-5-servings

Walter
11-27-2018, 07:44 AM
I prefer the Hammer gels. Easy on my gut and more complex carbs rather than just simplesugar.

That said, I do have a soft spot for Honey Stinger and Untapped waffles...

Hawker
01-03-2019, 05:56 PM
Thanks guys and most appreciated.

And yes, a big part of Gels is learning how to dispose of the wrapper without leaving a sticky mess in your pocket. But of course...we will NEVER toss it to the side of the road like those TDF creatins.

Phil,
1. Thanks for the book, most appreciated.

2. I bought a bunch of those SIS gels....really hated them! Argh! Viscosity is too thin and the taste is...blah. I'm moving them off to other cycling friends. Well, they used to be friends. Different strokes, glad they work for you. ;) I'm going to stick with Hammer, GU and CLIF.

R3awak3n
01-03-2019, 07:04 PM
Gels work for sure, cafeine, energy, small, ect but is it just me or they are disgusting? I will take them but am always like, do I really have to eat this crap?

FL_MarkD
01-03-2019, 08:03 PM
Hammer gel in a bottle: https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/hammer-nutrition-hammer-gel-26-servings?v=0000005&adl=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0eml5t_z3gIVhgJpCh3_UwXSEAQYASAB EgJgGfD_BwE

Decanted into a flask: https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/hammer-nutrition-gel-flask-holds-5-servings

This has been my method for a long time. Using the flask removes the mess, is easy to manage in a paceline, and the cost is lower when buying the bulk.

Hawker
01-04-2019, 09:34 AM
Gels work for sure, cafeine, energy, small, ect but is it just me or they are disgusting? I will take them but am always like, do I really have to eat this crap?

I really don't mind the taste of most of them...rather like them actually. Particularly the brands I mentioned above. But they ain't cheap, that's for sure and they work.

This has been my method for a long time. Using the flask removes the mess, is easy to manage in a paceline, and the cost is lower when buying the bulk.

I like the cost savings of buying this stuff in bulk, but not sure about loading the bottle every time and typically I don't need more than one or two shots at the most for my rides under forty miles. But thanks, might check it out.

homagesilkhope
01-04-2019, 09:59 AM

GU chocolate tastes like pudding. You don't like pudding? :fight:

loxx0050
01-04-2019, 10:09 AM
I stopped using gels quite some time ago and instead switched to fruit snacks (always buying it for the kid) or those stretch island fruit leathers too. Works pretty well actually because it is darn tasty and easy to chew. Plus they are mostly carbs and sugars so nice quick energy without the crash.

I also have a reusable soft flask and have tried the maple syrup thing (much cheaper to buy the real stuff at Costco vs untapped).

Admittedly longest rides I'll do is 2-2.5 hours every now and then due to time constraints (mainly I don't have enough time keep my fitness levels to consistently do those 40+ mile rides on the weekends). Usually I keep it to under 1.5-2 hours max on the weekend rides. If I'm 1.5 hours or less I don't bother with any in ride fueling but 2 or more I start eating the fruit snacks halfway through my ride.

I did one time trying to get every last bit out of GU gel cut the inside of both cheeks....that wasn't so fun :eek:

andeww
01-04-2019, 10:21 AM
I bought some SIS stuff on black Friday and the gels are great. The bars are pretty gross and have way too much sugar for my needs, but i will probably re-order the gels.

Hawker
01-04-2019, 11:58 AM
I stopped using gels quite some time ago and instead switched to fruit snacks (always buying it for the kid) or those stretch island fruit leathers too. Works pretty well actually because it is darn tasty and easy to chew. Plus they are mostly carbs and sugars so nice quick energy without the crash.

I also have a reusable soft flask and have tried the maple syrup thing (much cheaper to buy the real stuff at Costco vs untapped).

Admittedly longest rides I'll do is 2-2.5 hours every now and then due to time constraints (mainly I don't have enough time keep my fitness levels to consistently do those 40+ mile rides on the weekends). Usually I keep it to under 1.5-2 hours max on the weekend rides. If I'm 1.5 hours or less I don't bother with any in ride fueling but 2 or more I start eating the fruit snacks halfway through my ride.

I did one time trying to get every last bit out of GU gel cut the inside of both cheeks....that wasn't so fun :eek:

My rides are exactly like yours and I like the idea (and the price) of the fruit snacks and leathers...but really like the added caffeine of the Gels. Don't imagine they'll be adding any in kid's treats.

m_moses
01-04-2019, 02:00 PM
I’ve been using the black cherry Clif Bloks consistently over the last several years and like them a lot. They’re not too sweet but provide about 30 calories and 50mg of caffeine.

I like the other flavors as well but miss the caffeine so I always come back to black cherry. There’s another flavor that has slightly less caffeine.

I typically stick the pack under the leg gripper of my shorts so they’re easy to access.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IJWS
01-04-2019, 05:51 PM

Rapha is putting the energy gel segment out of business...

classtimesailer
01-04-2019, 10:25 PM
I am a big fan of Bonk Breaker Chews. They don't get stuck in your teeth like the cliffs and the Strawberry has a bit of caffeine. (Not sure if they are a gel or a gu or ?) but the cliff product packaging sure makes them user friendly.

TMD
01-05-2019, 12:47 AM
GU ROCTANE is my personal favorite. I will however say that you should try a bunch a different brands and see what works best for your stomach, as everyone's stomach is different. Also remember to switch up between caffeinated and non caffeinated gels on very long rides.