PDA

View Full Version : OT: Lap top for graphics heavy work?

William
11-26-2018, 08:43 AM
Looking for some suggestions for a Lap top that's good for graphics/gaming/game development. Has to be Windows/PC based that can run software like Maya and other similar programs.

Alienware
HP
Dell
MSI
ASUS
Etc...???

Experience, suggestions, comments appreciated!

Thanks,
William

JAGI410
11-26-2018, 09:11 AM
Maya is picky with video cards, so make sure the machine you're choosing has an Autodesk Certified graphics card. Most Nvidia GeForce and AMD Radeon Pro or FirePro will be alright. https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/troubleshooting/caas/simplecontent/content/maya-certified-hardware.html

My next machine will hopefully be a Boxx Goboxx SLM or a MSI MT72.

I work for an Autodesk reseller, so I'm working in CAD software all day. Not Maya/3DS stuff yet, but I want the flexibility for when that time comes. The Lenovo Thinkpad I have now struggles with my daily usage of Civil3D and Infraworks.

biker72
11-26-2018, 09:41 AM
I recently purchased a Acer 15.6" with a 256GB SSD, 12GB Ram and a 2GB dedicated Nvidia video card.

I'm running Photoshop and Illustrator but have no experience with Maya.
This laptop is crazy fast with the solid state hard drive. Much faster than my desktop with a conventional hard drive.

el cheapo
11-26-2018, 10:01 AM
Take a look at a Dell Precision. I bought a used one at Discount Electronics out of Austin. They sell online and have a one year warranty. Had mine for a couple years with zero problems. They are built for CAD.

William
11-26-2018, 10:46 AM
Great, thank you for the comments and suggestions!:cool:

William

Ozz
11-26-2018, 10:57 AM
Stay away from Alienware....I've bought a couple for my boys and both have had issues with motherboard.

My older son built his own computer (gaming) a couple years ago....lots of youtube videos on "how to", as well as websites that ensure you purchase compatible parts. I believe he put together a pretty nice system for about $1000.

He added additional RAM last year and is upgrading his keyboard this Xmas....

FYI - he built a tower, not a laptop

Also, if there is not really a budget: https://www.falcon-nw.com/

Dirtdiggler
11-26-2018, 11:02 AM
Boxx is something to look at..

biker72
11-26-2018, 11:08 AM
Take a look at a Dell Precision. I bought a used one at Discount Electronics out of Austin. They sell online and have a one year warranty. Had mine for a couple years with zero problems. They are built for CAD.

Dell outlet has some really good deals too. Same warranty as new with a good discount.

GScot
11-26-2018, 11:33 AM
I've had good reliability from Dell on the last two. 2014 I got a 3800 Precision with a Quadro for CAD/CAM work. Traveled a lot and used it daily for 3 years and turned it back into the company I left in perfect condition. Now using Autodesk software that works with a gamer card so I bought myself a Dell XPS which has the same case/form as the Precision Workstation series. Good so far after six months or so. They have a compact durable form with no optical drive and I would prefer more USB ports but since it has a USB 3 port a docking station handles everything including an extra display.

thegunner
11-26-2018, 11:39 AM
get a workstation and remote desktop into it from a lighter laptop.

i wouldn't want to do graphics or anything resource intensive from a laptop.

that said, i have a macbook pro that's loaded to the gills from my company, and it's okay. i would just never pay for it.

tylercheung
11-26-2018, 12:03 PM
What’s “heavy graphics work”?

William
11-26-2018, 04:43 PM
What’s “heavy graphics work”?

It just means that's what the main grunt work will be on this device.

William

dave thompson
11-26-2018, 05:30 PM
It just means that's what the main grunt work will be on this device.

William

Posting images of your latest Tequila bottle? :eek:

I’m still doing intensive research.

Bentley
11-26-2018, 05:35 PM
If you are researching Tequila try Fortaleza and G-4

Ray

dave thompson
11-26-2018, 05:41 PM
If you are researching Tequila try Fortaleza and G-4

Ray

Been doing my research for years here in Mexico. https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=17259&highlight=Tequila+oxymoron :D

Ozz
11-26-2018, 05:47 PM
Looking for some suggestions for a Lap top that's good for graphics/gaming/game development. Has to be Windows/PC based that can run software like Maya and other similar programs.

Alienware
...William
PM sent....

ojingoh
11-27-2018, 01:57 PM
TL;DR: Dell Precision or a HP ZBook. 4 memory sticks is highly preferable, 16 GB of memory is highly recommended, 32GB is better. NVME ssd is also desirable. Quad proc of course. Newest MacBook Pro is a good choice too.

External storage is a concern for backups, so get something that supports USB 3.1/Thunderbot and get SSD based external like a Samsung T5.

Video card is harder. If you are running Catia or something like that (knowing your specific requirements I don't think you are) you'll need to buy a Quadro/Fire to get support. Most 3D stuff runs fine on Geforce/Radeon though.

I don't recommend rendering on a laptop. Take the price delta from a $2000 video card and a $700 mobile card and buy a really nice desktop and render off that - it will render literally 3x as fast. Alternatively you can get a Thunderbolt 3 to PCIE box and just add a desktop video card to your laptop that way. The boxes are pretty pricey though, oftentimes more expensive than a second computer!

Blender, Maya, 3DS, ZBrush should all run well on that system. However it's hard to recommend a laptop for desktop work, specifically for this workflow.