PDA

View Full Version : Graphic designers here - recommended programs for cycling jersey design?

Wayne77
11-25-2018, 07:34 PM
I've done some jersey designs in the past but its always been an incredibly laborious process using basic image edit program like MS Paint or SnagIt. Basically drawing lines and filling in areas. There has to be a better way to do this. Today I did some research online and I've read about programs like Adobe Dimensions, Photoshop CC, Illustrator, etc. Adobe products are generally pretty expensive, but perhaps I could try a free trial to get what I need done. Is Adobe Dimension the best thing if I wanted to create a 3D model? (might be easier to get a sense for how an actual design will look versus a flat 2D template)

I don't mind a bit of a learning curve it it ends up being more efficient in the long run.

Basically I'm looking for:

- Some 2d OR 3D template files for cycling kit
- A 2D or 3D program I can use to overlay graphics and logos
- Ideally I'd like to have a file that I can deliver to a custom cycling kit manufacturer.

I also don't mind spending a little bit, but since this is at most something I need to do once or twice a year. I'm thinking something like a fully licensed version of Photoshop might be overkill.

Anyway, any thoughts & recommendations you have would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

R3awak3n
11-25-2018, 07:52 PM
adobe programs are no longer expensive, you now have to do a subscription which costs X amount a month. I believe photoshop is $10 so just subscribe, pay $10, design to your hearts content for a month and then cancel if you not going to use it anymore.

But yeah thew program you want is probably either pshop or illustrator.

MagicHour
11-25-2018, 08:03 PM
For kit and Jersey design best bet would be Adobe Illustrator, much easier for manipulating and moving around type and shapes using vectors on an artboard. Yeah you can do some of this in Photoshop too, but the workflow in Illustrator lends itself better to this type of work IMHO.

There are alternatives too, such as Affinity Designer, which I personally haven't tried yet but have heard colleagues praise, and may be cheaper alternative to Adobe, if you'd need to learn something from scratch anyway.

For templates its been awhile since I did a kit design, but probably best to get template and final print specs provided by Kit vendor.

MattTuck
11-25-2018, 08:05 PM
For vector graphics, Check out inkscape. Free, fairly easy to use once you spend some time with it, and can do basic designs without much up to speed time.

Wayne77
11-26-2018, 08:17 AM
Excellent advice guys - much appreciated!

jimcav
11-26-2018, 10:19 AM
adobe programs are no longer expensive, you now have to do a subscription which costs X amount a month. I believe photoshop is $10 so just subscribe, pay $10, design to your hearts content for a month and then cancel if you not going to use it anymore.

But yeah thew program you want is probably either pshop or illustrator.

she's been out of it a few years, but agreed that doing the subscription is the way to go and illustrator is the better choice, but there are also less capable online types of programs that might be simpler/easier than the illustrator learning curve. good luck

Gummee
11-26-2018, 10:23 AM
IME the custom kit folks have staff that can take a basic colored line drawing and translate your ideas to their software.

I've done both Verge and Hincapie that way now.

I drew up something in pen, then took a photo, then emailed it to em

Easy peasy

M

wasfast
11-26-2018, 03:35 PM
One note from my own experience with Adobe subscription; they make it intentionally VERY DIFFICULT to unsubscribe. I'd vote for inkscape just out of principle.

SpeedyChix
11-26-2018, 04:37 PM
You'll want to work with vector art if you want to send "press-ready" files to your jersey vendor. Illustrator-type applications are best.

I've used Illustrator, Inkscape and Affinity Designer.
You can snag Designer yet today at their site for 30% off for a one-time all time purchase and updates for a crushing $35! Found Inkscape to be too buggy.

Side note: Their competitor to "inDesign" is in free beta right now. They have a "photoshop" app as well. Both Designer and Photo can be purchased for desktop or iPad.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/designer/

Black Dog
11-26-2018, 07:49 PM
PM Brian Cdn. He has been designing kit professionally for years. Ask
him what software he uses. Great guy and good friend.

Wayne77
11-27-2018, 07:05 AM
Great tips everyone. Really appreciate it...the Affinity option looks especially good at that price.