PDA

View Full Version : Mmmmmm........ getting a Zank

ergott
11-15-2006, 08:30 AM
The possibilities.

I won't proclaim to know much about cross, but here are some of my ideas. I do know that while I want to cross it (next year), I do want to hit mtb trails and other stuff as well. You don't need super strong brakes for cross, but for some of the downhills on the trails, I want pretty good braking.

Definite (at least for now)
135mm spacing
Brooks Swift (can it handle the crappy stuff?)
Record 10 (circa 2000)
Deda 215 classic deep and Newton stem (like it on the road)

Maybe
disc brakes?
Just thinking that since I will do all the wheels (you think), that wheel choice is not a problem. I can run disc and not have to worry about adjusting brakes for different rims. I don't seen any minuses yet.

More to follow as this progresses.

Thanks for listening.

Seriously.

manet
11-15-2006, 08:39 AM
Maybe
disc brakes?

in·el·e·gant (n-l-gnt)
adj.
Lacking refinement or polish; not elegant.
in·ele·gant·ly adv.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Adj. 1. inelegant - lacking in refinement or grace or good taste
undignified - lacking dignity
unrefined - used of persons and their behavior; not refined; uncouth; "how can a refined girl be drawn to such an unrefined man?"
tactless, untactful - lacking or showing a lack of what is fitting and considerate in dealing with others; "in the circumstances it was tactless to ask her age"
in poor taste, tasteless - lacking aesthetic or social taste
elegant - refined and tasteful in appearance or behavior or style; "elegant handwriting"; "an elegant dark suit"; "she was elegant to her fingertips"; "small churches with elegant white spires"; "an elegant mathematical solution--simple and precise and lucid"

Bruce K
11-15-2006, 08:42 AM
Wow, Mike's cross bikes are diversifying.

First a single speed, now a disc brake version with 135mm spacing.

I wonder what's next? Steel/carbon mix? ;)

Whatever you do Eric, It will be a very cool bike.

BK

ergott
11-15-2006, 09:05 AM
in·el·e·gant (n-l-gnt)
adj.
Lacking refinement or polish; not elegant.
in·ele·gant·ly adv.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Adj. 1. inelegant - lacking in refinement or grace or good taste
undignified - lacking dignity
unrefined - used of persons and their behavior; not refined; uncouth; "how can a refined girl be drawn to such an unrefined man?"
tactless, untactful - lacking or showing a lack of what is fitting and considerate in dealing with others; "in the circumstances it was tactless to ask her age"
in poor taste, tasteless - lacking aesthetic or social taste
elegant - refined and tasteful in appearance or behavior or style; "elegant handwriting"; "an elegant dark suit"; "she was elegant to her fingertips"; "small churches with elegant white spires"; "an elegant mathematical solution--simple and precise and lucid"

I thought about that. Hmmmm.

manet
11-15-2006, 09:14 AM
I thought about that. Hmmmm.

exactly. just a thought. a couple of calories spent.
not an accusation.

in the end everything stops.

Jason E
11-15-2006, 09:14 AM
You do not need disc brakes for Cathedral or Rocky Point.

William
11-15-2006, 10:03 AM
Sounds Zankolicious! :cool:

William

Spicoli
11-15-2006, 10:30 AM
Eric, listen to Jason disc are a huge pain on a mtb and cross its so unneeded. If yor goin cross, go classic bruuda, this is just my 2 cents but how about a Zank MTB? you would get way more use and there are alot of trails I could show you that you would not think you are on LI. anymore. They are awesome MTB trails but death for a cross bike. You would get much more use/fun around here with a MTB IMHO? rcky pt. and cathedral are cool but there is so much good stuff out there, they are the all comer "Walmart" trails round these parts.

HEY DID I START SOMETHING WITH MY STUPID LIL COMMENT BACK THE "WHEEL THREEAD"? IF SO, GLAD ICOULD HELP! :banana:

:beer: JEFF

theprep
11-15-2006, 11:03 AM
Eric

Never ever ride the Cathedral Pines single track on a cross bike. It for sure, can be done, but all the roots and bumps will kill your back and make you want to sell it and get a MTB. Some friends of mine do train there for cross, but they avoid most of the single track and stick to the fire roads and smoother stuff.

Rocky Point is a blast on a cross bike because it is kind of easy, you can get over 20 mph on some of the straighter sections and it is pretty neat when you pass guys on Full Suspension rigs and they have no idea what you are doing in the woods on a "Road Bike" and how are you going so fast. :D

Would you consider a MTB. I think Jeff makes a lot of sense. For our trails, a hardtail with a fork makes the most sense. I used to think my cross bike was cool for riding some trails and a little bit of road. It sucked at both. The only thing a cross bike is good for is racing cross.

Kinda like when I stopped racing motocross and got married, I bought a Honda XR250L Enduro thinking it was versatile. It sucked so bad in the road and was even worse in the dirt, I swore I would never buy any sort of dual purpose rig ever again.

I just sold my Cross rig and I am loving my Serotta MTB more than ever. I don't miss it one bit. If I decide to do Allan's races next year, I'll be just as fast on my hardtail.

Have fun designing,
Joe

Johny
11-15-2006, 11:56 AM
... I do want to hit mtb trails and other stuff as well.

I agree with others about getting a Zank MTB in your case.

Peter (Weigle) proudly won his national cyclocross championship on a MTB. During the FL Ramble, he showed us those funny pictures of cyclists doing endos on cx bike when MTBs are most suitable for those trails.

ergott
11-15-2006, 12:24 PM
I have a mtb bike. DOn't have a cross bike. I would take it into the trails with the understanding that it is totally different that mtb bikes. I've ridden a cross bike at Rockey Point and loved it.

I talked to Zank and this is what I have so far.

135mm spacing
straight blade forks
cantis
I have some Ultegra 10 bits around so I might not need too much
Spooky brakes

Most likely

eyelets
bottle cage bosses

This is so much fun.

Seriously.

Bruce K
11-15-2006, 08:34 PM
Eric;

Having used them both, I would suggest Paul's brakes instead of Spookys if you have a choice.

Nothing wrong with Spookys but the Pauls are unreal.

BK

OldDog
11-15-2006, 08:50 PM
Early last week I picked up a Lemond Poprad cross. I am using it for dirt roading, sloppy rain rides, occansional off road jaunts etc. Especially now with little daylight I / we have been doing some night time dirt roading, away from traffic. Tonight did a spin on the local rail bed for about 18 miles out and back. It's outfitted with my old NIght Sun lights with SKS plastic fender incoming. It's not a mtn bike, and I knew that when I got it. It does not excel at road riding and I know it's limits off road. It's a blast anyway. I got the disc version, as that was the deal on an 06 closeout in my size. So far so good. Maybe next cross season I can head out and race for last. First place buys the beer :beer:

pdxmech13
11-15-2006, 09:00 PM
no on the spooks
yeah for the shimano's

ergott
11-15-2006, 09:03 PM
Eric;

Having used them both, I would suggest Paul's brakes instead of Spookys if you have a choice.

Nothing wrong with Spookys but the Pauls are unreal.

BK

I guess I do have time to save up a bit. It is something I've talked to Mike about. He agrees that the Paul's are better.

Due to the 135mm spacing (better rear hub geo), I will probably use Ultegra 10 brifters and mechs. I have a DA 7800 crankset to donate as well which leaves me crankless on the Ottrott. Guess I'll have to sport a new Chorus or Record c-set for that puppie.

The idea is to use Shimano (uggh) so I have no cassette issues with the many mtb hubs available to me. The Shimano c-set will also give me more chainring options too.

The fork will be straight bladed for my aesthetics.

The tubeset will be supplied by "someone" near and dear to all of us. Not sure how much I can go into this;-) Should be good stuff. Mike knows what he's doing.

So...
Zank (bottle cage mounts for good measure)
gotta see what dropouts with eyelets look like (not sure yet)
Paul
Ultegra 10
7800 crank
Deda 215/Newton (44X120 most likely)
XTR hubs (for at least the first set, I have a pair here)
Mavic Reflex Ceramic CD (I just bought 4 pair!)(no budget for carbon)
Sapim Race and brass nipples
Brooks Swift
whatever seatpost works and I can get for a good price

Am I missing anything?
:beer:

Bruce K
11-16-2006, 05:08 AM
I can't see anything missing except if you want top mount/auxiliary brake levers. Then it's Tektro carbon cuz they cool!

BK

William
11-16-2006, 05:28 AM
I guess I do have time to save up a bit. It is something I've talked to Mike about. He agrees that the Paul's are better.

Due to the 135mm spacing (better rear hub geo), I will probably use Ultegra 10 brifters and mechs. I have a DA 7800 crankset to donate as well which leaves me crankless on the Ottrott. Guess I'll have to sport a new Chorus or Record c-set for that puppie.

The idea is to use Shimano (uggh) so I have no cassette issues with the many mtb hubs available to me. The Shimano c-set will also give me more chainring options too.

The fork will be straight bladed for my aesthetics.

The tubeset will be supplied by "someone" near and dear to all of us. Not sure how much I can go into this;-) Should be good stuff. Mike knows what he's doing.

Am I missing anything?

My artistic side is wondering what you're thinking about color/design choices. I know that it's a way out yet but just curious if you've given it any thought?

William

ergott
11-16-2006, 07:11 AM
The first thing I said to Mike was, "Is there anything you have in mind?" I wanted to know if there was anything he was dying to try because I wanted some fresh eyes. I like being surprised.

We have been tossing around a few things and here is the start.
White bike (been thinking about a pearl white)
yellow lettering
black outlining or other sort of detailing

theprep
11-16-2006, 08:21 AM
Am I missing anything?

Tires
Pedals
Gearing (single/double chainring)
top or down cable routing

ergott
11-16-2006, 08:33 AM
Tires
Pedals
Gearing (single/double chainring)
top or down cable routing

Pedals - eggbeaters (any reason why I shouldn't?)

rsl
11-16-2006, 09:56 AM
The first thing I said to Mike was, "Is there anything you have in mind?" I wanted to know if there was anything he was dying to try because I wanted some fresh eyes. I like being surprised.

We have been tossing around a few things and here is the start.
White bike (been thinking about a pearl white)
yellow lettering
black outlining or other sort of detailing

As you know, Mike will definitely take care of you and KEEP taking care of you. He just drove into Cambridge from Worcester this morning to pick up my 4-month-old Zank roadbike for repairs after I was in a hit-and-run last week.

Enjoy the process of of getting the new bike! And, yes, white bikes are beautiful!