PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Pinarello Dogma K8-S

SoCalSteve
11-24-2018, 05:42 PM
Hi all,

This looked interesting. Thoughts on the suspension aspect of this...and any other positive or negative aspects of this frameset.

Thank you all in advance!

Steve

AngryScientist
11-24-2018, 06:03 PM
well, for one, i am glad to see it has rim brakes.

i wonder how much adjustment there is in that suspension gizmo, or how it varies between frame sizes?

certainly some of the "roads" i ride here in NJ and greater new england could benefit from a little dampening in the rear end for sure, as long as it is not overkill.

would be interested to hear some ride reports from people of various sizes.

SoCalSteve
11-24-2018, 07:13 PM
well, for one, i am glad to see it has rim brakes.

i wonder how much adjustment there is in that suspension gizmo, or how it varies between frame sizes?

certainly some of the "roads" i ride here in NJ and greater new england could benefit from a little dampening in the rear end for sure, as long as it is not overkill.

would be interested to hear some ride reports from people of various sizes.

I think it’s minimal, like 10mm.

Not sure I’ve ever seen one in the wild. They seem to be pretty rare. Maybe because it was a design that didn’t work well or???

Calnago
11-24-2018, 08:02 PM
I’ve worked with a couple of these. One my size (I’m 6’1, 200lbs) which I’ve ridden, and one small one. I don’t know, kind of gimmicky if you ask me. The small attachment point to the frame seems like it might be prone to a lot of stress. The suspension is just a dense polymer that’s adjusted by compressing it more or less, the more “pre compression” the firmer it is. It works in conjunction with the “flexstay” chainstays, which are thin in the vertical plane and wider in the horizontal plane. One of the things is that on a bike like this you may very well want to use larger tires. But, if you use the newer shadow style derailleurs from Shimano you will find yourself having to deflate even a 27mm tubular to remove the wheel. A similar nominal size clincher on a wider rim would be even more problematic. I’d give it a pass.

SoCalSteve
02-27-2019, 06:39 PM
Reviving this thread.

Anyone else care to weigh in? Any real life experience owning one?

Thanks!

kramnnim
02-28-2019, 08:11 AM
A particular online retailer has these with mech Ultegra at what he says is a very good price. I might be able to get one for even less as he owes me for an order I placed that went wrong.

merckxman
02-28-2019, 08:47 AM
-there is a 220-pound weight limit
-adjustment can be done through the preload setting on the shock itself, or by using a different durometer elastomer; two different elastomers are/were available

SoCalSteve
02-28-2019, 08:54 AM
-there is a 220-pound weight limit
-adjustment can be done through the preload setting on the shock itself, or by using a different durometer elastomer; two different elastomers are/were available

I was told 250. I think a call to Pina USA is in order.

Thanks!

SoCalSteve
02-28-2019, 08:55 AM
A particular online retailer has these with mech Ultegra at what he says is a very good price. I might be able to get one for even less as he owes me for an order I placed that went wrong.

Sent you a PM. Thank you!

FlashUNC
02-28-2019, 09:03 AM
I think Above Category is doing a comparo of the F10 versions of these. Might be worth a check to their blog.

Lionel
02-28-2019, 09:13 AM
I think Above Category is doing a comparo of the F10 versions of these. Might be worth a check to their blog.

Sort of. Different wheelsets make this comparaison fairly meaningless :)

93KgBike
02-28-2019, 09:23 AM
The website's text explain's it well:

“Game changer” is not an idea from our marketing people, but the first words of Sir Bradley Wiggins after testing DOGMA K8-S...

The DOGMA K8-S is the result of a specific request of TEAM SKY: to have an innovative frame able to reduce the psycho-physical stress of the athletes, and thus increase the performance in the HELL OF NORTH.

...the overall performance of Dogma K8S is 4.6% greater than Dogma K 2015, in terms of handling and comfort.

The DOGMA K8-S frame (size 53), complete with suspension, weighs less than 1kg, exactly 990 grams. This is a revolutionary frame, which will open new scenarios in road bike riding and racing.

I'd sure like to take one for a spin, but in a 56 or >.

SoCalSteve
02-28-2019, 09:30 AM

Thank you! They don’t compare the version with the rear suspension...:confused:

doubleklobbs
02-28-2019, 10:06 AM
Thank you! They don’t compare the version with the rear suspension...:confused:

The article on the K10 hasn't been released yet. When it does you'll have a side-by-side comparison of the F10, F10 Disc, and K10.

sfo1
02-28-2019, 11:52 AM
Agreed; not apples to apples.

I rode the Wiliar Cento that has pretty much the same gizmo. Beautiful bike but total turd.

The K10's and Cento's can be had for a song for a reason....

Sort of. Different wheelsets make this comparaison fairly meaningless :)

Heisenberg
02-28-2019, 11:57 AM
i rode a k8s for a few weeks back when it was released. i enjoyed it quite a bit, very smooth, but handling still felt nice and nippy with the increased rake fork. still, tire clearance wasn't amazing, and the front end's stiffness with the rear end's squish was a bit offputting. there was no pedal-bob or the like, just a nice smoothness offered by the elastomer.

if you're looking toward the long/low classics race bike genre with the edge taken off, the trek domane raceshop is a better bike with a more refined "suspension" design, if you can fit it.

cgolvin
02-28-2019, 12:18 PM
I've always been intrigued by the Calfee Manta RS in this vein.
Any firsthand experience with those?

RonW87
02-28-2019, 12:29 PM
I had a K8 with Mavic carbon wheels as a rental from a place in Bormio. Rode the Stelvio on it. Whether due to the shock or the carbon wheels, it descended horribly.

Charles M
02-28-2019, 12:53 PM
Not the best out there...

Grab a Domane.

The rear suspension tries to do two things and compromises both... The rear end is flexy (lateral-wheel), but then it also doesnt soak up a lot of vibe and either lighter high freq vibe or harder hits.

While it does soak some bumps, it's really not very effective.

FlashUNC
02-28-2019, 01:22 PM
i rode a k8s for a few weeks back when it was released. i enjoyed it quite a bit, very smooth, but handling still felt nice and nippy with the increased rake fork. still, tire clearance wasn't amazing, and the front end's stiffness with the rear end's squish was a bit offputting. there was no pedal-bob or the like, just a nice smoothness offered by the elastomer.

if you're looking toward the long/low classics race bike genre with the edge taken off, the trek domane raceshop is a better bike with a more refined "suspension" design, if you can fit it.

What he said. Talking to Domane riders is like meeting hardcore Scientologists or Crossfitters. They keep extolling the wonders of that Iso Coupler in a way that makes me wonder if there is something to the lunacy.

pdmtong
02-28-2019, 01:37 PM
I've always been intrigued by the Calfee Manta RS in this vein. Any firsthand experience with those?

I rode one in a parking lot at speed over uplifting roots and off small curb lips. quite amazing actually

hardest part is committing that much money to a specialty bike unless you really really need that differential versus a "regular" frame

Charles M
02-28-2019, 06:12 PM
What he said. Talking to Domane riders is like meeting hardcore Scientologists or Crossfitters. They keep extolling the wonders of that Iso Coupler in a way that makes me wonder if there is something to the lunacy.

The Domane is better in pretty much every way...

The rear end is smoother AND the bottom end and rear end also have less flex and the handling is better. The front Iso is just gravy.

The pinarello just doesnt cut it. It's more flexy lateral while doing less to damp vibes.

false_Aest
02-28-2019, 06:58 PM
Steve,

Isn't your MO to buy a bike, ride it for a year, sell it and then buy another?
;)
;)

you should just buy it and ride it.

Say hey to Irwin!

SoCalSteve
02-28-2019, 09:39 PM
Steve,

Isn't your MO to buy a bike, ride it for a year, sell it and then buy another?
;)
;)

you should just buy it and ride it.

Say hey to Irwin!

A year? You give me way too much credit!

Even though I have had my Serotta and Kirk for over 10 years now. And my Moots for over 3 years.

I’ll send Irwin your regards...:banana: