PDA

View Full Version : Any Way I Can Get Scammed Via PayPal?

Fat Robert
11-15-2006, 06:23 AM
I think I'm being paranoid.

Guy wants the Ridley, but something seems too easy...I said "send me the PayPal, when it clears into my bank account, I send the frame."

Is there *any* way I could get scammed here? Or am I just fat and paranoid?

keno
11-15-2006, 06:34 AM
IRS

keno

Elefantino
11-15-2006, 06:34 AM
I think I'm being paranoid.

Guy wants the Ridley, but something seems too easy...I said "send me the PayPal, when it clears into my bank account, I send the frame."

Is there *any* way I could get scammed here? Or am I just fat and paranoid?

There's always a way to get scammed, but in hundreds of transactions (and thousands for friends) never with PayPal.

Just make sure he's not from Nigeria.

ergott
11-15-2006, 06:41 AM
Deliver to a Paypal confirmed address for the best protection.

BumbleBeeDave
11-15-2006, 06:45 AM
PayPal can freeze your account or take money out of your designated bank account at will, as I understand it. Agreeing to their terms of service also means you give up certain consumer rights. Again, as I understand it, they can freeze your PayPal account if it turns out you've bought or sold something to a scammer--even if your particular transaction with that person was entirely legit.

I have a separate checking account exclusively for PayPal use, and I keep only the minimum amount necessary in the account ($25) to keep it valid. If I owe money, I transfer the funds in just before making the payment, and if I'm getting money, transfer it out of the account as soon as it clears. That way if there's a dispute, PayPal can't get their grubby paws on more than $25.

See . . . http://www.paypalsucks.com/ . . . for a whole lot more information.

I don't use my credit card on PayPal because if you do, you agree to forego almost all the protections your credit card gives you to protect against unathorized use. By using only my bank account for payments I limit my losses to no more than is in the account--almost always no more than $25. If PayPal suddenly charges my credit card without authorization, then I'll complain to my credit card company, they reverse the charge, and if PayPal freezes my account, so what? I've lost no more than $25 and I'll go use a different service. (See . . . http://www.paypalsucks.com/credit-card-waiver.shtml . . . . for more info)

Transfer it out of your designated account the moment it clears and you should be OK, because once you do nobody but you can get ahold of it.

BBD

Mud
11-15-2006, 07:42 AM
there are horror stories. Carbon Lord had a chargeback almost 6 months after the sale where his account was frozen (I think this is correct). It wound up in court. I would prefer a MO but Paypal is a come-on to buyers and I have stuff to sell.

stevep
11-15-2006, 07:44 AM
robert,
send me $250 and i will monitor your account 24/7 to keep you safe.
s

norcalbiker
11-15-2006, 10:32 AM
It's protected, especially if he is verified member.

sc53
11-15-2006, 10:41 AM
I've had no problems in more than 5 yrs doing just what you are proposing to do with your buyer. But of course anything can be scammed--money orders can also be faked, as can certified checks, etc, nothing is ironclad.