PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Fenix tips?

doomridesout
11-23-2018, 11:06 PM
So I broke down with gear lust and have a Garmin Fenix 5s Plus coming on Monday. Is anybody using this thing? Any tips on getting the best functionality for cycling and daily life out of it? I don't need more 'connectivity' (i.e. getting emails while I'm supposed to be out enjoying nature), but am really excited to start tracking hiking and running more carefully, have maps, etc.

jwalther
11-24-2018, 07:51 AM
I've worn my Fenix 5s Sapphire 24/7 for a year or so now, and use it as my HRM while cycling. Beyond that, it's a great fitness tracker, providing way more data than I (or any other normal human) really need. As an aside, the keeper on my black strap just failed so I'm temporarily rocking the neon yellow strap until the black replacement arrives.

ahumblecycler
11-24-2018, 08:35 AM
I've been pondering the 5x version for the maps. I often find myself in places without cellular service and wonder if this feature would be useful. My only hesitation is the weight as I would use it as a multi-sport watch as well.

Gummee
11-24-2018, 08:43 AM
I've been pondering the 5x version for the maps. I often find myself in places without cellular service and wonder if this feature would be useful. My only hesitation is the weight as I would use it as a multi-sport watch as well.

I have a Fenix 3. If I were to do it again, I'd buy the 9-series watch instead. They're lots lighter.

I don't need most of the stuff the Fenix watches do. Aaah well. The thing works for CX and that's what I wanted it for

M

yakstone
11-24-2018, 09:39 AM
I have the Fenix 5 and have worn it for a good 6 months now. Does everything you could possibly want it to do. The weight has never bothered me at all and it is also a watch that can be worn as a daily watch that is not out of place.

Lots of options to set it up with as much or as little connectivity that you want / need and the battery holds its charge for over a week.

enr1co
11-24-2018, 10:15 AM
Congrats- the Fenix 5 watches are nice looking! They have a handsome,traditonal sport watch look to them which I like.

I have a 2 year old Garmin Vivoactive HR which has been a great value for the $135 paid for it but could do without the trendy fit bit, apple-ish electronic watch appearance. Love the functionality of wearable Garmin watches w/ bluetooth, GPS bike computer instead of using a bike mounted one, i.e 520, 820 etc. which auto uploads ride data.

Will eventually cave and get a Fenix when prices soften as its tough to justify more watches in the drawer.

Gummee
11-24-2018, 10:51 AM
Getting back to the OP: There's videos online (youtube) on how to set up your Fenix. They really help.

Garmin IQ let's you DL apps that allow you to customize more

HTH

M