PDA

View Full Version : spd-sl to look/exustar cleat locations

teleguy57
11-23-2018, 04:05 PM
Trying out a set of Powertap pedals, and I need to change from my spd-sl cleats to those with the pedals. Not seeing a midpoint mark on the new cleats, so any advice on how to get the new pedals in the same place underfoot as the current ones?

jpritchet74
11-23-2018, 05:53 PM
Trying out a set of Powertap pedals, and I need to change from my spd-sl cleats to those with the pedals. Not seeing a midpoint mark on the new cleats, so any advice on how to get the new pedals in the same place underfoot as the current ones?

http://www.ergon-bike.com/en/product.html?a=bikefitting

I have these for Look, Shimano, and Crank Brothers. I bought them years ago and they obviously last forever - worth it in my mind. Maybe your LBS has them to borrow?

teleguy57
11-26-2018, 12:22 PM
Thanks, @pritchet74. Looks like a good tool. Bike shop doesn't have them.

How does this sound? Measure from spindle center forward to where the front of the cleat engages with the pedal, then transfer than measurement from the same point on the cleat backward to mark the spindle CL. Do the same with the Shimano setup, then mark the sole of the shoe with the spindle CL mark.

Match up the lines on the Powertap clean with that on the sole and fore-aft should be good. By outlining the Shimano cleat on the sole I'll also have the left/right and and angling of the cleat available.

Am I missing anything in this approach? Other thoughts?