PDA

View Full Version : famed bike lock lasts 16 seconds

eddief
11-23-2018, 10:01 AM
not posting this cuz it's downer and negative but cuz the guy is straight forward and provides good info...and a bit o humor:

https://boingboing.net/2018/11/23/famed-bike-lock-lasts-16-secon.html

I wonder if he was not using the floor for leverage and just had to use his arm strength how that might increase the time to cut?

p nut
11-23-2018, 10:43 AM
Too funny and a shame. I'm just Thankful that I don't have to lock my bikes up outside. If I did commute by bike and didn't have a secure place to lock it up, I would buy a folder and take it in with me. Portable power tools make it too easy for the thieves.

fiamme red
11-23-2018, 10:46 AM
"Famed"? I've never heard of it or seen one before.

I thought this was going to be about a Kryptonite New York, but there's no way a thief could defeat that lock in 16 seconds.

froze
11-23-2018, 10:52 AM
There is no magic lock that will protect a bike from an attack by a battery powered portable angle grinder with the right blade and still fresh blade for more than maybe 60 seconds. I am glad you showed that video for the Litelock Gold because now I won't be buying one! The beauty of that LiteLock was its weight and portability, I know that I don't want to haul around a heavy D lock even though so far those are the best, if 60 seconds is considered the best! While the good chain locks are portable they are extremely heavy. The HipLock Gold actually with stood an angle grinder for almost 2 minutes which bested all other locks on the market; but you're talking about a 5 1/2 pound lock being around your waist while riding, not something I want around my waist.

There was another joke of a lock that looks like a fancy zip tie that can be broken with a screwdriver!

fiamme red
11-23-2018, 10:59 AM
I once had my key snap off inside the cylinder of a Kryptonite NY U-lock. I had to call a locksmith, and it took close to five minutes using an angle grinder, with lots of sparks and noise, to cut through the lock.

Recent lock reviews here: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-bike-lock/.

bitt3n
11-23-2018, 11:13 AM
I once had my key snap off inside the cylinder of a Kryptonite NY U-lock. I had to call a locksmith, and it took close to five minutes using an angle grinder, with lots of sparks and noise, to cut through the lock.

I bet nobody looked twice at you guys either.

"Famed"? I've never heard of it or seen one before.

I thought this was going to be about a Kryptonite New York, but there's no way a thief could defeat that lock in 16 seconds.

No, slightly longer. (https://youtu.be/Iaj6Hh2kr9E?t=150)

fiamme red
11-23-2018, 11:20 AM
I bet nobody looked twice at you guys either.My bike was locked on a side street that has very little foot traffic. Only one person walked by in those five minutes, and like a true New Yorker, ignored us.

monkeybanana86
11-23-2018, 11:32 AM
I saw a transient walking around SF Civic Center with a road bike on his shoulders. He had cut clean through the top tube. Probably took 5 seconds.

ultraman6970
11-23-2018, 12:22 PM
That lock works, if you notice the dude had to put all his weight into the big tool thing to be able to snap the cables, so you really need to be like hulk to be able to snaps the cables using just your arms using that tool. Unless you put the lock on the floor at least will take a while before the bad guy cut those cables one by one. Not saying impossible but at least more than 16 seconds.

fiamme red
11-23-2018, 12:25 PM
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-bike-lock/

Litelok: We found the band of this lock extremely difficult to cut through without power tools. The arrangement of the cables against a flat metal strip is a clever idea and works extremely well at slowing these types of attacks, though someone with enough patience could do it. The big dealbreaker for this lock: We used just a pair of small bolt cutters against the lock mechanism (this is where most thieves actually cut many cable locks, as it tends to be quicker), and that immediately revealed its weakness. The entire mechanism spread open and revealed the thin strips of metal holding a single post that made up the latch to the lock. A second cut through the post, and the lock came apart.

bitt3n
11-23-2018, 12:25 PM
That lock works, if you notice the dude had to put all his weight into the big tool thing to be able to snap the cables, so you really need to be like hulk to be able to snaps the cables using just your arms using that tool. Unless you put the lock on the floor at least will take a while before the bad guy cut those cables one by one. Not saying impossible but at least more than 16 seconds.

he talks about that in the comments. with 28-inch cutters you can find a way to get leverage regardless of where the lock is on the frame

Spaghetti Legs
11-23-2018, 12:28 PM
My defeat the kryptonite lock story.

Many years ago (about 25) I was in the Navy, stationed in SF. My ship went down to San Diego for 2 or 3 weeks to do some training. I took my mountain bike to ride around town when we were in port there. Well I had a weekend off so I decided to fly back up to SF to hang with my GF (now wife). This is back when it only cost about $75 to do that flight. I left my bike locked to a rack on the pier and took my keys so my girl could use my car to drop me back off at the airport. Well I spaced and left my bike lock key with my car keys, so my bike is stuck on the pier in San Diego.

At that time Navy ships were equipped with a device called an exothermic cutter; basically a 10,000 degree torch used to rapidly cut through steel doors and bulkheads for emergency access. I decided it was time for the guys to do some training, so we took it down to the pier. My original plan was to cut the lock, but then decided I'd avoid the hassle of buying a new lock and we cut the rack in about 3 seconds.

So sometimes it's easier to cut the rack than the lock. I feel a little bad about cutting the rack but we only cut a small part of it.

froze
11-23-2018, 10:09 PM

This security video shows a Krypt NY being cut by a battery powered angle grinder, the cutting starts at 1:24 into the film and ends at 1:38, now there is a bit of a time delay going on due to the cheap 5 FPS video so I would quadruple the time just to be safe...gee how long is that? my math is very bad; anyway see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcHOVSsfXQ0
And this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xey9p_vhclc
This next video is Krpto's most toughest bicycle lock they make, its their NY Chain, the cutting starts at 0:13 and ends at 0:44...again my math is poor, can anyone tell us how long that took? And this person doing that last video says the same thing I said if you watch it in its entirety. Actually a $17 handsaw with a fresh blade can cut one open too but it takes a lot longer and a lot more physical exertion, someone did do that very thing and after an hour and half of sawing the lock was toast.

The best defense you have from getting your expensive pride and joy stolen at work or at school is to have a second bike that is very inexpensive maybe $200 and lock it up with mid level locks to keep the price of locks down at your school or work, then save your good bike for weekends.

yinzerniner
11-24-2018, 04:53 PM
Even more disappointing is this post from two years ago which shows the Litelock defeated without any special tools or cutters, and in a much simpler manner:
https://www.reddit.com/r/bicycling/comments/5f8s47/litelok_bike_theft_in_just_17_seconds/

Also Litelock's response to the original poster is completely out of touch. Even their response videos showing how their lock can withstand similar attacks are disingenuous to say the least; minimal effort and totally different circumstances and techniques than the original simple twist attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGxwRWUOOaQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRkofWSztFU

bicycletricycle
11-24-2018, 05:22 PM
Lightweight locks are always low security as far as I can tell. Good for short lock ups outside the coffee shop but that’s about it.

Even the biggest heaviest locks are no match for the cordless angle grinder.

If you live in a dangerous area a lock only gets you so much security.

Dekonick
11-25-2018, 11:52 AM
Physics - ANY lock can be defeated with inexpensive hand tools. Give me a lever big enough and I can move the world.

ANY battery operated sawzall or grinder will defeat any lock in under a minute. Believe me - If we can cut case hardened steel nader bolts, no portable lock is going to withstand what a nader bolt can't.

As shown, a good set of cable cutters will cut steel cable.

A lock only keeps honest people from stealing your bike, and prevents the quick snatch. Any thief with tools will get your bike. Any thief can get into your home or car.

Mean people suck.

gemship
11-25-2018, 03:24 PM
Physics - ANY lock can be defeated with inexpensive hand tools. Give me a lever big enough and I can move the world.

ANY battery operated sawzall or grinder will defeat any lock in under a minute. Believe me - If we can cut case hardened steel nader bolts, no portable lock is going to withstand what a nader bolt can't.

A lock only keeps honest people from stealing your bike, and prevents the quick snatch. Any thief with tools will get your bike. Any thief can get into your home or car.

Mean people suck.

Can't agree more. What I can glean from this is that most folks are wimps. It takes courage to be a good samaritan when you see someone breaking thru a bike lock.

froze
11-25-2018, 03:58 PM

Mean people suck.

Are all thieves mean? No, they're just trying to make money off of others without feelings about the loss those people suffer, mean in that respect perhaps, but there are thieves who are very nice people to know, most of these types are very secretive about their work, you could have friend who might be one and never know it. While others are not necessary mean, they're so badly addicted to drugs they'll do anything to earn enough money to pay for their habit. As crazy as this sounds, but if I had to disappear and flee I would steal bikes as I needed them; a lot of people leave all sorts of bikes unlocked at their homes so I would just take one and go, and when it broke take another. I know, I'm sounding like a crazy man, but it's easier to stay hidden on a stolen bike than a stolen car!

As far as locks getting defeated, there is another element to locks that I always find no one discussing, and that's the ability for a trained person to pick a bike lock, this sort of activity is actually on the up tick because there are no bulky or loud tools, it simply looks to the observer that the person is having difficulty with their key, and bike locks are not particularly difficult to pick. ALL locks can be picked even those who claim they can't be picked, either someone has already practiced on a non pickable lock and did it or someone will, if has a key it can be picked. Fortunately most bikes are stolen by people needing a fix and those types won't know how to pick.

This is a video to show you all how poorly designed the Krypto NY Fahgettaboutit lock really is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iaj6Hh2kr9E Hopefully this video will show those that want buy a lock to look for a lock that doesn't have those access gates that the guy in the video unscrewed to defeat the lock.

Even a battery powered Dremel tool will cut a Krypto in about 10 minutes.

Some of this material may or may not be dated, this was as of 10 years ago, I think Krypto changed their warranty provisions and made it wee bit less complicated because they got a lot of public condemnation and a news report done on all this stuff was not favorable, not sure about others: Keep in mind to that lock insurance that some manufactures include with their locks that you about a 99.9 percent chance of NEVER collecting a dime for your bike, but they "might" send you a new lock! In order to get the insurance paid for your bike is that you have to have the original packaging the lock came in including the UPC code; you must have the original receipt for the lock; you must register the lock within so many days of buying it; you must renew the warranty every year for 3 years before the renewal period ends, after the 3 years you have to buy a new lock; you have to have a police report (this one screws a lot of people because a lot of larger cities in financial despair like NY city will not send anyone out about a stolen bike) no report not claim; you have have photos taken of the crime scene at the time the theft was done showing where the bike was, what it was locked to, a pic of the undisturbed broken lock, lighting, and foot traffic; you have to have the lock, no lock to bad; you have to have the original receipt for your bike; pics of your bike; appraisal of your bike done each year; if you have homeowners insurance you need your declarations page sent in; proof that you filed a claim; if the claim was denied proof as to why (if the insurance company paid the claim then all they will pay, if you did all the above stuff, is pay your deductible). If any of the above stuff is missing (even if the pics are done but not to the liking of the company) which most of the time something is, this is why lock manufactures rarely pay out for the cost of a person's bike.

froze
11-25-2018, 05:39 PM
Can't agree more. What I can glean from this is that most folks are wimps. It takes courage to be a good samaritan when you see someone breaking thru a bike lock.

You're not kidding! I hate that about people. Here's some videos of that happening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGttmR2DTY8&t=106s
This video there was actually a cop watching and did nothing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xNsEPAs07o (pic quality is horrible, there was a better quality one a few years ago but I can't find it)

Tony
11-25-2018, 06:26 PM
[QUOTE=froze;2459763][B]Are all thieves mean? No, they're just trying to make money off of others without feelings about the loss those people suffer, mean in that respect perhaps, but there are thieves who are very nice people to know, most of these types are very secretive about their work, you could have friend who might be one and never know it. While others are not necessary mean, they're so badly addicted to drugs they'll do anything to earn enough money to pay for their habit.

Honest and real intuitive understanding of some thieves.

froze
11-25-2018, 07:08 PM
[QUOTE=froze;2459763][B]Are all thieves mean? No, they're just trying to make money off of others without feelings about the loss those people suffer, mean in that respect perhaps, but there are thieves who are very nice people to know, most of these types are very secretive about their work, you could have friend who might be one and never know it. While others are not necessary mean, they're so badly addicted to drugs they'll do anything to earn enough money to pay for their habit.

Honest and real intuitive understanding of some thieves.

Well, I don't really understand thieves since I'm not one. LOL!!! so you got me on that one! LOL!!!

Tony
11-25-2018, 08:09 PM
[QUOTE=Tony;2459837][B]

Well, I don't really understand thieves since I'm not one. LOL!!! so you got me on that one! LOL!!!

Only meant that your right. I know several people who are some of the nicest folks one could meet. However, due to drugs, or some other bondage became thieves.

froze
11-25-2018, 08:23 PM
[QUOTE=froze;2459861]

Only meant that your right. I know several people who are some of the nicest folks one could meet. However, due to drugs, or some other bondage became thieves.

Sorry, I thought you were being sarcastic. Geez, I'm out of control tonight!

Anyway, I once knew a guy who was thief, I didn't know he was a thief till after he got caught! but he was very nice guy who needed money because his job he had didn't pay well, as far as I know he didn't do drugs or booze because he always seemed straight. He broke into peoples homes when they weren't home and would steal small stuff that he knew he could sell fast, and wouldn't look obvious leaving a house carrying a big screen TV! He had to serve some time but not much and supposedly never went back to that line of "work", but he and I were young and I lost contact with him after the prison thing and then he went into the military, what he did after that I have no idea. I once bought a bike off of a guy who I thought had a side business of selling used bikes because he had a small barn full of them, so I bought one, but later found out he had stole all those bikes! He was the guy that went with 2 or three others in a small flatbed pickup to a college in town, picked up an entire bike rack full of bikes locked to it, put it on the back of the truck and took off, no one seemed to notice?! I never found out how he got caught but I know he did. Real nice guy though and he gave me a pretty good deal! LOL!!! But when you go to a guys place of business, he has a small barn full of bikes, the last thing you think is that they are all stolen, so I had no clue, I was in high school and needed cheap transportation.