PDA

View Full Version : OT: Chimney Fire --Be Safe Out There!

RFC
11-23-2018, 09:39 AM
We had the luckiest Thanksgiving ever.

It was a cozy and warm early afternoon with a fire in the hearth and family all around. I was talking with my son's GF just as the turkey came out of the oven. Then I noticed embers falling into the fireplace. I ran outside and saw flame and smoke coming out of the top of the chimney above the second story of the house. Ran inside, told my family to douse the fireplace as I called the fire department.

Six Scottsdale fire trucks arrived in 5 minutes along with two FD support vehicles and two police cars to block off the street. While we stood on the curb for two hours, the brigade went into the house with hoses, axes and chainsaws. My insurance agent, who lives across the street, told me that the FD would likely take out the interior wall into the chimney box on both floors to stop the fire before it spread to the attic and interior walls.

I anticipated major damage and lots of water.

In the end, we lucked out and damage was minimal. The FD took off the top of the chimney with axes and cut two small holes (1 foot square) in the second story bedroom wall to confirm that the fire hadn't spread. No smoke or water damage. These guys were total pros and stopped the fire with surgical precision.

Speculation is that there was a nest on the chimney screen (f**king pigeons) that ignited and started the fire.

We then warmed up the turkey and sat down to dinner. There could not have been a better end to what could have been a disaster.

Happy Thanksgiving!

AngryScientist
11-23-2018, 09:47 AM
oof that is scary!

you were very smart to call the FD immediately to come and help. sounds like that, coupled with their super quick response time saved the day.

too funny about the insurance guy across the street.

"there goes my 2018 bonus..."

glad it worked out well, and you guys were able to carry on with the dinner after all that excitement too!

Bruce K
11-23-2018, 09:48 AM
Glad things worked out for you and your family.

We call our local Chimney Sweep for a cleaning every 1-2 years depending on how much usage they get. Still no guarantee from nesting animals.

BK

joosttx
11-23-2018, 09:48 AM
Yikes, glad it turned out ok.

Hindmost
11-23-2018, 10:51 AM
Truly Happy Thanksgiving!

Was it a full-on chimney fire where is creosote lining ignites? In a brick or a zero clearance chimney?

unterhausen
11-23-2018, 10:51 AM
I really want to get rid of our chimney. They are an energy sink, probably one of the biggest (2nd after infiltration?) in a normal house We stopped using the wood stove because the kids had asthma, but it turns out I have asthma too.

OtayBW
11-23-2018, 11:14 AM
Glad the fire was put out easily, but maybe next time, look into a chimney cap if you're having problems with faraarking pigeons or other varmints.

azrider
11-23-2018, 01:39 PM
Dewd.......glad to hear positive outcome. Good job acting fast !

d_douglas
11-23-2018, 01:52 PM
The only fire I have ever been involved in was a chimney fire (and many extremely intoxicated young adults) on New Years Eve when I was about 19 years old.

No one was injured and it was determined that it was a flaw in the chimney liner that caused the fire (and torched my friend's parent's cabin).

It has also forever changed my view of fireplaces (and drunken teenagers). Every time we use the fireplace in my house I watch it intently - fires can be devastating.