PDA

View Full Version : Swapping wheels - use the same hubs?

d_douglas
11-22-2018, 06:03 AM
If I am to have a bike that switches between 700 and 650b disc wheels, is there a need to use the same hubs for both sets? Ie., is a 142x12 hubs dimension perfectly coonsistent across brands?

I ask because my favourite hub at the moment is Onyx and they aren’t cheap! If I can’t build two set with these hubs, will the rotor alignment and / or shifting be compromised?

Thanks,

Darren

oldpotatoe
11-22-2018, 06:08 AM
If I am to have a bike that switches between 700 and 650b disc wheels, is there a need to use the same hubs for both sets? Ie., is a 142x12 hubs dimension perfectly coonsistent across brands?

I ask because my favourite hub at the moment is Onyx and they aren’t cheap! If I can’t build two set with these hubs, will the rotor alignment and / or shifting be compromised?

Thanks,

Darren

Exact rotor placement between indentical brand hubs isn’t even a given. Cogset placement probably closer but swapping wheels will probably require at least a brake caliper adjust before the ride. Some have successfully shimmed rotors to eliminate this but that’s ‘iffy’...Ergott for one...PM him.

TomK
11-22-2018, 06:15 AM
I have two wheel sets that I use on my Seven Evergreen with DA hydraulic disc brakes. No adjustment need when switching. One has onyx hubs the other has DT240 hubs. Both sets are 700c.

Hilltopperny
11-22-2018, 06:55 AM
I have used Reynolds ATR wheels in both 650b and 700c and they fit seamlessly.

My experience trying other wheels on the same setup was that if the rotors used were different ie ice tech cl rotors vs Sram 6 bolt was that I'd get a little rub. I adjusted the caliper and all was well. This was going from Stan's carbon disc wheels with Sram rotors to ATR with ice tech on the Zanc CX.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

R3awak3n
11-22-2018, 06:59 AM
I have used november bicycles shims (the only ones I know exist for centerlock, if you are using 6 bolt there are a ton).

I would love to say its perfect but its not. I get no rub in the rear but the front there is a tiny little bit that I either deal with or fix the caliper. But its worth a try, I bet it will work perfectly with some wheels.

@Hilltopperny - I need to get me some 700c ATRii to go with my 650s and make all my problems go away :)

Hilltopperny
11-22-2018, 07:02 AM
I have used november bicycles shims (the only ones I know exist for centerlock, if you are using 6 bolt there are a ton).

I would love to say its perfect but its not. I get no rub in the rear but the front there is a tiny little bit that I either deal with or fix the caliper. But its worth a try, I bet it will work perfectly with some wheels.

@Hilltopperny - I need to get me some 700c ATRii to go with my 650s and make all my problems go away :)
They were blowing them out a few months ago at the Pros closet, but it looks like they sold out. Great set of wheels IMHO.

R3awak3n
11-22-2018, 07:03 AM
They were blowing them out a few months ago at the Pros closet, but it looks like they sold out. Great set of wheels IMHO.

thats where I got my 650s. That was such a good deal. I think I had a coupon too for an even better deal. No way I coulda bought 2 sets though ahah

Hilltopperny
11-22-2018, 07:05 AM
thats where I got my 650s. That was such a good deal. I think I had a coupon too for an even better deal. No way I coulda bought 2 sets though ahahThat's where I picked up my 650s as well. Literally half price.

R3awak3n
11-22-2018, 07:13 AM
That's where I picked up my 650s as well. Literally half price.

I also agree with you, super nice wheels for the price.

Mikej
11-22-2018, 08:31 AM
FWIW my team is sponsored by trek and many ride the mtb 9.8 bikes which all have dt350 hubs. We routinely swap wheels amongst each other’s bikes due to various teenagers destroying wheels before and during races- never had a problem. If you had to you can get shimano washers to shim the rotors or calipers to fit. It can be fine.

fishwhisperer
11-22-2018, 09:44 AM
I didn’t have trouble with the rotors, but I usually need to tweak the tension on my rear mech when switching between the 27.5 and 29” wheels on my hardtail. One has CK hubs and one has Onyx, both XD. I’m running Eagle, so the tolerances are already tight, which may have something to do with it.

Doesn’t take long either way — less than a minute.

MaraudingWalrus
11-23-2018, 08:16 AM
I switch between 3 wheelsets regularly on my ti-road disc thingy. Two 700c wheelsets, and one 650b wheelset. The 650b and one of the 700c are both centerlock, and I move the rotor with when I do that swap. Different hub brands (White Industry on one and Onyx on the other) and I didn't need to use the spacers that I picked up in case spacing was different. The 6bolt wheelset (Aivee hubs) I do need to use some shims. I think I shimmed the 6bolt rotor out one or two tiny spacers. Now swap easily without rubbing.

I'd just pick up some spacers - they're cheap - and start trying it to see where things fall.

davidb
11-23-2018, 09:51 AM
The only way to seamlessly swap wheels is to use the same hub. It can be an expensive time-consuming adventure trying to find different hubs that match up. As mentioned above most cassette now are very close, however, disc spacing can vary a lot. I see this frequently with clients who try to mix and match wheels with different hubs.