PDA

View Full Version : eBay scam-what more to do

harlond
11-14-2006, 09:02 PM
Tonight, after I had signed in with my user name and password, I clicked on an eBay ad. The next screen asked for my user name and password, and without thinking, I entered them. As soon as I had, I noticed that the url was no longer an eBay address. Immediately, I got back to eBay, signed in, verified I was at eBay, and changed my password. All indications are that the change took. I figure some crook got my sign-in info. Do I need to do anything else to make sure this jerk can't hack my account?

You know, I didn't think the crooks could configure their eBay ads to take you off site, but I guess they just get better and better. Scary.

DRZRM
11-14-2006, 10:18 PM
I'm sure you already thought of this, but be suer that you don't use the same password on any other accounts, especially if you have a linked email account or other user names that are the same as your ebay handle. Be sure the password he does have can't open anything else.

ZRM

Frustration
11-15-2006, 08:20 AM
You should (unless you use it for business / income regularly) suspend your activity and ask their fraud people to monitor...

And yep, make sure you don't use the same pw or even the same pw format, like ebay123 for ebay, and paypal123 for paypal etc...

If you do use a pw "system" change it.

Also note that very quickly, if you have card or other personal info associated with the account, they could have accessed that immediately.

A good hack will have a pop up so that when info is returned, it is automatically and immediately used to log into the account and access and capture the critical information...

ANY critical info associated with this account should be changed.

harlond
11-15-2006, 11:01 AM
Thanks, guys, I don't have any card info associated with this account nor any other accounts with the same password or username. I was going to report the event to eBay, but it was pain and then they asked for my password, and I was gunshy. I will suspend activity and monitor the account closely. Thanks.