PDA

View Full Version : OT: XM or Sirius?

SoCalSteve
11-14-2006, 06:03 PM
Hi all,

What does everyone have: XM or Sirius Satellite?

What do you like or dont like about the two competing systems?

As always, thank you all in advance,

Steve

Too Tall
11-14-2006, 06:12 PM
I don't own...however recently gifted Sirrius because it appears to be the stronger candidate for music and freethinkers ;)

justinf
11-14-2006, 06:55 PM
Sirius content is way better in nearly every regard.

bironi
11-14-2006, 06:59 PM
I was with XM, but recently stopped service. I found myself listening to only a couple channels. I live in the Pacific NW. The reception was not good on forested roads, and in the mountains, that cuts service significantly here.

Byron

William
11-14-2006, 07:12 PM
Sirius content is way better in nearly every regard.

Look for Sirius to eventually take over/buy out XM.

Woof!

William

Erik.Lazdins
11-14-2006, 07:16 PM
What William said - the 2 shall merge.

Tony Edwards
11-14-2006, 08:04 PM
Sirius for me, and it's not close (though I happen to be a fanatical Howard Stern fan).

Bradford
11-14-2006, 08:10 PM
XM has baseball. End of story for me. Life without the Sox is meaningless.

Music is plentiful, varied, and really great.

If you need baseball, it has to be XM, if you need something else, pick the system that has it, if you only need general radio, I can't imagine it matters.

spiderlake
11-14-2006, 09:14 PM
I have both (long story) and for my taste and style, I prefer Sirius. I like that Sirius has NPR stations and I really like the Left of Center music station as well as First Wave. The variety of songs and artists seems better on Sirius although XM gets REALLY deep into some REALLY obscure albums. That's kinda cool. The NFL is nice for those errands on Sunday afternoon. Some people don't like the DJ format on Sirius but I have found certain DJ's that I really enjoy.

On XM, I really like Fred, Lucy and Ethel. I find that I really don't stray much beyond those channels. No NPR on XM but they do have something called public radio. I haven't checked it out so no idea on its content. XM has DJ's on a few channels but mostly just straight on music. I seem to recall an article stating Clear Channel won the "right" to air commercials on XM channels. I would not be a fan of that.....

Both providers will allow you to "demo" via their websites. You might want to check them both out. Look at the channel listings and their descriptions. You might find you are immediately drawn to one over the other.

SoCalSteve
11-14-2006, 09:21 PM
After looking over both the websites...It is hands down Sirius. I could not live without NPR.

Thank you all for your help in deciding.

Steve

billrick
11-14-2006, 10:12 PM
I have XM but I bet I'd be happy with either. I listen to BBC World, baseball, and Lucy/Fred/XMU alt rock stations. The thing that I still love love love is the ability to drive from DC out 66, past Front Royal to I-81, head south and then hook a right and head for the mountains to fly fish and moutain bike, ALL WHILE LISTENING TO THE SAME CHANNEL! Mind blowing! I love it. There is nothing like sitting in the truck listening to the last inning of a ball game on a remote dirt road in the GW National Forest.

:)

csm
11-14-2006, 10:14 PM
xm... but only 'cause it came with the car. Opie and Anthony get me through my 8 mile commute every morning!

Climb01742
11-15-2006, 04:48 AM
On XM, I really like Fred, Lucy and Ethel. I find that I really don't stray much beyond those channels.

me too. just got a new car and haven't switched XM to new one. daily i'm reminded how much regular radio sucks. whichever sat. service you choose, it's way better than regular radio. one exception: imus in the morning. ;)

William
11-15-2006, 05:14 AM
....daily i'm reminded how much regular radio sucks. whichever sat. service you choose, it's way better than regular radio. one exception: imus in the morning. ;)

WORD!

William

Serotta PETE
11-15-2006, 05:19 AM
Wife has Sirius. I have xm. Programming is somewhat different and all will have an opinion. XM has better reception. I am told it has something to do with the repeaters (amps) that XM has and the mumber of Satellites.

I prefer XM but look at the programming and see which is more to your taste.

PETE

Hi all,

What does everyone have: XM or Sirius Satellite?

What do you like or dont like about the two competing systems?

As always, thank you all in advance,

Steve

myette10
11-15-2006, 05:57 AM
I was split on which to get and then XM dropped their jam band channel which sealed the deal. Sirius has been great.

Kevin
11-15-2006, 05:58 AM
Sirius.

Kevin

CNY rider
11-15-2006, 08:29 AM
We've had Sirius for a year and I am very happy with it. We got 2 cradles, one for each car, plus the home base so we can listen inside. I'm a Stern fan and I also like football so Sirius was the only way to go. I live in a rural area with very limited choices on regular radio. Sirius is a huge step up, both for the entertainment/sports and the music channels.

OldDog
11-15-2006, 09:29 AM
Xm

Tom
11-15-2006, 10:02 AM
XM came with the car. Better than over the air radio except for WAMC, the local NPR station. Not as good as internet radio like KPIG or WWOZ. One of the jazz channels is pretty good, though. I learn some there.

I believe the satellite receiver hardware ties you to a given provider, correct? I can't switch XM to Sirius and keep the same receiver, can I?

norcalbiker
11-15-2006, 10:30 AM
Just bought a new car and it came with XM. Found myself listening to a couple channel. The 70's and channel 26. I don't think I am going to subcribes once the freebie is over.

sc53
11-15-2006, 10:37 AM
XM has what I like: XM Cafe, The Loft, Real Jazz, and Beyond Jazz. I hear tons of new (and new-to-me old) stuff on those channels. Plus the Bob Dylan Radio Hour on channel 15 is great! And, funny, but I've read that XM will take over Sirius...just depends on what articles you read I guess.