PDA

View Full Version : S&S travel - First time and what I have learned

R3awak3n
11-18-2018, 11:09 AM
Just wrapping up my yearly vacation, on the way back from the Cayman Islands. What a beautiful place.

I bought an S&S bike, a 90s Croll. Great deal on it, and I always liked Crolls. Reynolds 853, straight bladed fork, quill stem. Its a freaking gem. Also got myself a Ritchey travel case which I learned it is a bit bigger than allowed by airlines (just a few cubic inches). Was excited to have this be my first trip to try this whole travel bike setup thing.

Packing up the bike was pretty easy, took me a while since it was my first time... Had to cut protection velcro sleeves for everything amongst other things

Did a little video of the packing -

https://media.giphy.com/media/5UFmtehAl6iB520RaY/giphy.gif

I listened to a bunch of advice on the other thread about my trip, thanks everyone. Really, a lot of good advice.

I am glad I have the ritchey case, the case is very forgiving. Sure its bigger and I could get nabbed but I am not sure how people are packing bikes in hard cases or cases smaller than this. Maybe a smaller bike, this one is a 57. I also was worried about the quill stem but again, no problems, fits fine.
The other thing that made everything so easy is the DT shifters. I remember someone saying they will not make packing easier but they absolutely will. The fact that I can separate the bars from the frame completely is amazing and its just less cables going around.

Bike has gone through twice now, no extra fees. Not even a question about it being a bike. The 853 bike is light so I think all in, the bag is at 38lbs... THey check the weight and don't even bat an eye.

Customs at the caymans did make me open the bag, the guy looked at it and was like, is that a bike. I was like, how do you know? he says he sees a lot of those cases. All he asked me is if it was my bike, I said yes, then he asked me when was the bike from. I said 90s. Thats all he needed to know and I was on my way.

Put the bike together as soon as I got to the hotel. The electricity was down so the last part sucked, doing it in the dark but all went well.

Ended up ridding almost every day, between 20 and 38 miles. Was going to do a big ride but ended up not. Just am not into shape and it is hard to ride here past 11am. It gets real hot. It is very flat but you get headwinds, like major headwinds that my average speed was not much higher than when I ride at home. Oh, I used my brakes 0 times the whole week I was here, next time I will leave them at home :banana:

Big ups to GonaSovereign, who send me some maps and some advice on where to ride amongst other things.

The Cayman Islands are beautiful and although not a typical bike destination, it was nice to explore part of the island by bike, get some exercise and do more than just sit by the pool and eat conch.

Some pictures -

https://i.imgur.com/ZZZHipP.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/sfJFAd3.jpg?1

Well, I had better pictures but last wednesday I decided to walk into the pool with my phone in my pocket and it will not turn on anymore lol.

This trip got me excited about next years trip. The plan is to go to France, Netherlands and Portugal and of course, bring the Croll

weisan
11-18-2018, 11:14 AM
well done, R3 pal!

Clean39T
11-18-2018, 11:17 AM
Very cool. Thanks for the write-up!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

echappist
11-18-2018, 11:25 AM
very nice!

do you think the case could be "shrunken" if the frame is a bit smaller?

dbnm
11-18-2018, 11:29 AM
seriously jealous. looks amazing.

R3awak3n
11-18-2018, 11:33 AM
very nice!

do you think the case could be "shrunken" if the frame is a bit smaller?

Maybe. I mean, maybe its not so much the size that made the experience better but the fact that its a soft case. I did notice that my first time around packed, I did a better job and the case looked a bit flatter. I tried to do it again but something was not the same, still with the soft case, a tiny little budge is not a big deal and you can finagle things in there.

jpritchet74
11-18-2018, 11:33 AM
That's fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

Mzilliox
11-18-2018, 12:02 PM
very cool. we had really no issues taking our bikes over to japan. an hour or 2 to build up and take down on each end of the trip, and the comfort of having a bike you know works and fits. pretty awesome stuff.

R3awak3n
11-18-2018, 12:06 PM
very cool. we had really no issues taking our bikes over to japan. an hour or 2 to build up and take down on each end of the trip, and the comfort of having a bike you know works and fits. pretty awesome stuff.

Absolutely. It was nice to have my own bike, no need to measure anything, seat post is at the right height, so is stem, its assemble and go. I would say it probably took me closer to 2 hours to take apart and put together (but would have been quicker if I did not clean the bike when packing, I think I can get it down to 1 hour with practice).

bigbill
11-18-2018, 12:28 PM
A friend had a Davidson that had S&S couples. The first time she traveled, someone put it together for her. When it was time to pack, there were some issues making it all fit. I helped and we took pictures of every step with her phone. I can see how if you didn't travel that much that you'd have stare at all the parts for a while before figuring out how it all fits. Unless you had pictures.

AngryScientist
11-18-2018, 12:43 PM
cool.

glad you found this one and it worked out! well done.

livingminimal
11-18-2018, 01:04 PM
Seriously rad. Congrats.

I dont own an S&S bike, but I do have an Aerotech case and have been to the East Coast twice this year with it. Not cheap to have or to fly with, but worth every penny to know 15 minutes after hitting the ground I can have my own bike put together and ready to ride.

hollowgram5
11-18-2018, 01:23 PM
Heck yeah man! Good write-up and feedback for others considering a S&S bike!

R3awak3n
11-18-2018, 01:59 PM
Seriously rad. Congrats.

I dont own an S&S bike, but I do have an Aerotech case and have been to the East Coast twice this year with it. Not cheap to have or to fly with, but worth every penny to know 15 minutes after hitting the ground I can have my own bike put together and ready to ride.

the other good thing about the S&S is space in the rental car. I traveled with wife (gigantic bag), wifes dad (gigantic bag), wifes dad gf (gigantic bag), luckily they upgraded us to an SUV or this would not fit, if it was a bigger bike bag, that would have not fit either. So I do appreciate SS over a bike box (which I have used before).

I am flying Jet Blue (on the plane as I type) and their bike fee is only $50 so that is not that bad, I paid $25 just to check a luggage so not much more but I was guiddy when the bike just went through without them knowing was a bike

R3awak3n
11-18-2018, 02:01 PM
A friend had a Davidson that had S&S couples. The first time she traveled, someone put it together for her. When it was time to pack, there were some issues making it all fit. I helped and we took pictures of every step with her phone. I can see how if you didn't travel that much that you'd have stare at all the parts for a while before figuring out how it all fits. Unless you had pictures.

I used a site that had illustrations of it. Came in really handy but I changed a few things and I think worked better.

Well, lets see when I get my bag in a few hours