PDA

View Full Version : MTB Lights

d_douglas
11-17-2018, 06:55 PM
I am curious what the pros and cons are for high power light systems with separate battery packs vs integrated batteries?

As a new venture into danger, I thought I might start night riding off-road, something I haven’t done in ages. I see all kinds of lights out there, but don’t know what benefit there is to using one over the other.

I need BRIGHT as I am riding in technical rocky wet conditions (just writing this makes me reconsider why I would ever do this to be honest) and I think I need a headlight and a handlebar light. Quick research shows a 1200 lumen bar light and 500 lumen headlamp light - does that sound right?

am thinking that a budget of $200-250 might cover this off.

Thanks for any feedback.

joosttx
11-17-2018, 07:12 PM
I like Lupine lights although they are out of your budget. One point of advice its best to have a handlebar light with a helmet light.

sooshi
11-17-2018, 07:15 PM
I can't say enough good things about Lupine lights. I own the Wilma and the Neo. They are a bit pricey but for your budget I'd look at their Piko. I've used lots of lights and these are hands down the nicest, brightest and have the longest run times. I used them when I lived in Alaska and were flawless. Cords are well insulated to keep the batteries from draining in the bitter cold. You can also buy different size batteries and if you end up having more than one they can be linked together via bluetooth and then controlled with a handlebar mount switch. Cool thing with their lights is that you can run any of them on your bars or your helmet.

https://www.lupinenorthamerica.com/piko_class.asp

jm714
11-17-2018, 07:15 PM
Check out dinotte lights. Great bang for the buck.

dustyrider
11-17-2018, 07:23 PM
Maybe you could borrow a friend’s older setup and give it a go before investing.
Looks and mounting weight/time are about the only differences between internal and external batteries.

Something to consider for trail riding is the light beam. I like one light to be a spot and one that diffuses the light. Usually I put the spot on my helmet. It helps me see edges better.

I use a cygolite 750 lumen on my helmet and usually set it at medium when on the trails, plus I use a dinotte 2100 lumen on the bars. I don’t run the dinotte at full tilt boogie for very long and even then rarely. When you’re away from city lights, a little light can go a lot further. I’m not riding that fast, but it nice to have the brighter setting for the road rides!

cetuximab
11-17-2018, 09:49 PM
I am curious what the pros and cons are for high power light systems with separate battery packs vs integrated batteries?

I think I need a headlight and a handlebar light. Quick research shows a 1200 lumen bar light and 500 lumen headlamp light - does that sound right?

am thinking that a budget of $200-250 might cover this off.

Thanks for any feedback.

I ride the less technical stuff early in the morning, before work and before sunrise. Occasionally I will do the more techy stuff, but I am much more cautious.

I used Niterider lights. I have Lumina 950 and 800 that I mount on bar and helmet. I like the combo of helmet and bar mounted lights.

You could easily get a similar setup for around $200 on ebay.

Integrated is the way to go. Mounting is so fast. They are so light, the weight is unlikely to bug you.

pobrien
11-17-2018, 11:01 PM
The Lupine lights look good. They look like a great option.

I also went with DiNotte and have been very pleased. I have the new lights with integrated batteries and the previous generation with battery/light bundles.

I like the convenience of the new DiNotte but both generations of their lights have been really excellent.

I expect the Lupine are first class as well having reviewed the spec sheet.

d_douglas
11-17-2018, 11:11 PM
Good call on trying someone else’s before blowing the money - I may hate it. There is a pretty dedicated group of Dads that go out faithfully 2x week rain or shine. I could try it on for size...

Maybe you could borrow a friend’s older setup and give it a go before investing.
Looks and mounting weight/time are about the only differences between internal and external batteries.

gdw
11-18-2018, 01:13 AM
If you are actually riding off-road you don't need the high power ultra lum lights that are popular with the folks who ride in urban areas or are scared of the dark. Lights with a good beam patterns and warm color LEDs, more yellow than white/blue, that put out 300-500 lum are more than adequate for riding technical trails. If your trails have fast descents it's nice to have a higher power setting of around 700 lum or higher. I've had good luck with Dinotte's and Niterider's offerings and choose the models that offer the longest running time at medium settings.

saab2000
11-18-2018, 03:25 AM
I use a Light and Motion Seca 1400 that's about a decade old. It's still a nice light. The advantage of the separate battery pack is that it's less weight on the handlebar and you can carry another, fully charged battery if you do really, really long rides. The disadvantage is that it's an ugly setup and takes some practice to figure out where to keep the battery strapped to the bike, etc.

Check out L&M. They make pretty nice stuff and while it's not cheap, I think it's a bit budget friendlier than Lupine.

SlowPokePete
11-18-2018, 05:07 AM
I've always used NiteRider Lumina...one on the helmet one on the bar, nice to not have a separate battery pack with wires, etc...

I have a 950 and 1100 currently.

SPP

tele
11-18-2018, 06:26 AM
A few of us who ride at night have the Magic Shines. Cheap and bright.

Andy sti
11-18-2018, 11:36 AM
MTBR always has a bunch of info and reviews on lights. The lights subforum has been helpful for me.

JAGI410
11-18-2018, 11:52 AM
I just use a 700 Lumen NiteRider on the helmet and a 350 lumen Niterider on the bars. Having separate lights is more beneficial to me than one super bright Magicshine.

trener1
11-18-2018, 05:03 PM
To answer your original question.
In the old days when battery power wasn't that good, all lights had battery packs, so partly that design is a hold over, but still size equals time, so the lights with external battery packs will still have longer battery life then the ones with internal battery's, if you need it or not depends on how long you think your rides will be.

d_douglas
11-18-2018, 07:57 PM
To answer your original question.
In the old days when battery power wasn't that good, all lights had battery packs, so partly that design is a hold over, but still size equals time, so the lights with external battery packs will still have longer battery life then the ones with internal battery's, if you need it or not depends on how long you think your rides will be.

I would say the rides will be no longer than 90min. Heavily wooded, rainy areas, so not too much moonlight will be coming through tree canopy.

trener1
11-18-2018, 08:06 PM
Then you should be fine with the one piece design.
Something like the Cygolite Expillion 850 offers the best of both worlds, as it has a replaceable battery, so if you think you might want to go for a longer ride (or just want to make sure you dont get stuck in the woods) you can have a spare battery in your pack.
Get your self 2 of those, one for the bar and one for the helmet and you should be good to go.

joev
11-18-2018, 08:23 PM
Well here is my opinion. Some background, I ride in the mornings 2-3 times a week in the dark...and have for over 10 yrs. I have also ridden the 24-hr in the Old Pueblo many times and have tried a number of set-ups. I have a setup I now like for mountain biking in the dark.

That setup has a Light & Motion Seca 2200 on the handlebar with the 6-cell battery strapped to the seatpost. Cable wrapped on the top tube. Pros, it is very bright and can last a long time. I can take it down a level from max and it still works on mountain bike trails. It is waterproof, has a nice wide beam, and a secure rubber strap to mount the light. Con, expensive but I found it worth it. I had a Seca 1500 and wouldn't go back. For the helmet, I use a Lezyne 900XL. Pros, it is cordless, light, and the beam matched pretty well to the Seca 2200. Cons, after a couple of years of use the run time has gone down. I have a Niterider Lumina 750 and it is more of a spot type of light and the color is slightly off from the Seca. It drove me nuts when I tried to match them up. Niterider pro is that they seem to be bombproof.

I also have a Lezyne 1250, an additional LED from the two the 900 has. The con is that it is too heavy for the helmet. At max it would work on the handlebar but its run time is 1.5 hrs max...less than the Seca 2200. With no cables an mounted on the handlebar, it is convenient and has a wide beam. You could go with this on the handlebar and the 900 on the helmet.

I'd just seen Niterider may have a dual beam 1800 lumen light at $150 in the Lumina series coming out soon...or at least I'd seen it on the Universal Cycles website but "Out of Stock". If it has a wide beam, it might be a good choice for the handlebars.

Every year the lights seem to get brighter and cheaper. Lezyne now makes a series of lights with a port to plug an external battery. That might be the way to have insurance on a ride and keep the external battery in a pack.

Handlebar and helmet setup is the way to go. I have heard different opinions on which should be the bright one. I like the handlebar light to be bright. Things to consider are the compatibility of the beams (wide vs spot) and light color if you choose different brands.

charliedid
11-18-2018, 08:37 PM
I have this - https://cygolite.com/product/tridenx-1300-osp/

it's so bright you can light cigarettes off it. Combine it with 500 or so light on helmet and you'll see more than you ever wanted to.

Gummee
11-18-2018, 08:43 PM
A few of us who ride at night have the Magic Shines. Cheap and bright.

I bought a cheap knockoff and used that a lot. Then I got some Bontrager Ion lights and bring 2. I run one on the way to the woods on low. Fire up the 2nd at the woods on med or high. Ride back on the 1st light. I don't have any helmet-mountable lights at the moment.

Actually, that's reminds me: Always bring an extra light just in case yours or a buddy's burns out early.

I've ridden off-road on as little as 350l but the trails weren't very technical. I'm the one that's trying to get n00bs into riding at night, so give up my bright lights for them.

If you can, do as above and run a flood on the bars and a spot on the helmet. ...but if you only run one, I've found it'd better to run just a bar mount.

M

Jdg68
11-18-2018, 08:50 PM
Also recommend Lupine.
I also recommend Exposure lights which are of the integrated battery design. These work well for mounting on the bar as there is no separate battery, cable etc. I’ve used the Maxx D.
Uk site: Exposurelights.com (https://exposurelights.com/?SID=d8iui36ppg4h52ph96ktbjuit2)

Backcountry is selling Exposure now.

commonguy001
11-19-2018, 04:51 AM
I have two lights on order from Outbound Lighting, what they call their ultimate dh package. It includes a trail light and a road light. They’re doing some real interesting stuff with beam patterns and after seeing the trail version in person I’m in. Both are 1800 lumen on high and compared to my Niterider beams the trail is amazing. The road has a cut off so you can actually see where you’re going without blinding traffic. The trail version is wide, wide enough I think Incould get away with just a bar mount if I wanted to. It doesn’t penetrate deep into the night but will completely light up a backyard side to side.
Pricing is good at 225 a set although you can save 20 bucks with their discount code.
The older I get the less comfortable I am riding in the dark as I just can’t pick up the details like I could 15 years ago. Hopefully these will be the ticket as I used to love night trail rides. Plan is to run the trail on the bars and the road on my helmet.

RobJ
11-19-2018, 11:41 AM
I can't necessarily comment on the best setup (i.e. handlebar and helmet) since I am just getting back in mountain biking and building up a bike. I have used the Cygolite's with good results. They seem to be a good feature:cost ratio and have other good reviews. Another one that got good reviews in the mountain bike shootouts is Gloworm. They are out of New Zealand and now appear to have a wider distribution channel. I see Jenson is carrying them. Super bright models.

Bytesiz
11-19-2018, 07:41 PM
+1 for Dinotte lights. I've been using them for years and have been very happy with them.

CunegoFan
11-19-2018, 09:23 PM
I can't necessarily comment on the best setup (i.e. handlebar and helmet) since I am just getting back in mountain biking and building up a bike. I have used the Cygolite's with good results. They seem to be a good feature:cost ratio and have other good reviews. Another one that got good reviews in the mountain bike shootouts is Gloworm. They are out of New Zealand and now appear to have a wider distribution channel. I see Jenson is carrying them. Super bright models.

I like my Gloworm X2s. The wireless remote can control two lights, so both bar light and head light can be controlled by a thumb without taking a hand off the grips. If you order from Action Tech Lights, they have an option to change the LEDs to neutral white.

CunegoFan
11-22-2018, 07:16 PM
Gloworm has a 25% off black Friday weekend deal. The discount code, "blackfriday18", is honored by Action LED Lights. If you order directly from Gloworm then they will have the order fulfilled by Action for orders from the U.S.. Order from Action and you can have the LEDs switched to neutral white, which makes it easier to see trail details, especially in snowy conditions.

trener1
11-23-2018, 03:39 PM
Not a MTB light perse but the L&M urban 900 on sale for $39, crazy price
https://www.westernbikeworks.com/product/light-and-motion-urban-900-light?fltr=&sg=501