PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite cycling shoe?

m4rk540
11-17-2018, 03:49 PM
I like SIDIs.

dave thompson
11-17-2018, 04:06 PM
I’ve had a pair of Shimano R321 for years. Tough, durable and the most comfortable road shoe I’ve ever had.

R3awak3n
11-17-2018, 04:13 PM
I only use giros, they work for me.

73Bronco
11-17-2018, 04:26 PM
Love my Boots, but as with any shoe, finding the right fitting shoe is key.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk

73Bronco
11-17-2018, 04:27 PM
Love my Boots, but as with any shoe, finding the right fitting shoe is key.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using TapatalkBonts, autocorrect got me!

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk

dsimon
11-17-2018, 04:48 PM
Lake CX402 worth the coinage even if you get a used set soooo worth it

Duende
11-17-2018, 05:04 PM
Loved me Vittoria’s, then mored on to Sidi’s Now I’m pretty much settled on Lake. They just fit me right out of the box. Can’t say much for their customer service though.

m_sasso
11-17-2018, 05:22 PM
Ones that fit my feet and allow me to achieve the performance I am capable of comfortably.

Own SIDI's, Giro's, Lake's, Shimano's, kind of vague question, vague answer.

earlfoss
11-17-2018, 05:38 PM
I sprung for the Assos by Lake shoes and I love them. Previous kicks were Sidi Shots which were very nice but not quite as supportive and a tad narrow.

joosttx
11-17-2018, 05:45 PM
Sidi they fit and last forever

Tony
11-17-2018, 05:50 PM
Specialized, both road and mtb

ls1togo
11-17-2018, 08:09 PM
had Sidi's for years but finally admitted that they were too narrow, finally gave up and sold my Shot's, bought Lakes..great fit and comfort...haven't looked back..

Special K
11-17-2018, 08:19 PM
After trying numerous including D2 custom, I've fallen in love with Mavic.

FlashUNC
11-17-2018, 08:26 PM
Bont all the way.

Lewis Moon
11-17-2018, 08:27 PM
I have an old set of Fizik M3 CX shoes that I have fallen in love with. I also have a newer set of Fizik R1 road shoes that I'm trying to come to grips with. Too many light weight, fragile points of failure. Nice design, though.

VoyTirando
11-17-2018, 08:37 PM
It took me a long while to get to Sidis: Pearl Izumis, Vitorrias, a pair of Answers(!). But Sidi Dominators with Time Atacs on a road bike (my knees appreciate the float). Once broken in - and for my feet at least, that´s been necessary - they´re amazing. I have skinny feet, and the heel and volume are just right. Just recently sized up a half size, and that´s even better.

As a side note, I don´t really get the trend toward lace up cycling shoes. A friend with whom I did Farmer´s Daughter two years ago ended up with a killer blister on a heel. Despite his best efforts, he just couldnt get his heel locked down in the same way I can with the ratcheting buckle. I know, I know, to each their own, but for me that´s been the dominator in various iterations.

OtayBW
11-17-2018, 10:27 PM
This:

smokersteve
11-18-2018, 01:04 PM
For road Specialized Torch 3.0
Double boa system, pretty stiff, and more comfy than the s-works

grateful
11-18-2018, 01:20 PM
Adidas

Mikej
11-18-2018, 01:35 PM
Sidi wire / Drako love hate thing going on for 23 years

Elefantino
11-18-2018, 02:10 PM
adidas/Mavic but only because my fit don't work with Specialized, Sidi, Lake, Boat, Carnac, Shimano, Vittoria, DMT, Garneau, Fizik and Giro. All of which I have owned.

Feet are highly personal.

froze
11-18-2018, 03:50 PM
I haven't tried every cycling shoe on earth, in fact I haven't even tried a fraction of them! So to say which is my favorites I can only go by what I've bought and liked and disliked and there hasn't been very many to say the least. But since switching over to SPD my first shoe was a walking riding shoe from Mavic (can't recall the model) that was only a $100 shoe that I got on sale but it was for me a piece of crap. So then I tried Sidi MTB Mega shoe and that one so far after a year of use has been fantastic, I use those mostly on my road bike with Speedplay Frogs and they are comfortable enough to walk on; I can't recall the model number of those either, all they say on the shoe is Sidi but I know they were the MTB version. Then I bought a pair of Bontrager SSR Multisport for touring in, these are more comfortable to walk in than the Sidi's but I also will walk in them more than the Sidi's; I got the Bontragers so I wouldn't have to carry a second pair of shoes in my panniers.

So really that's it, nothing complicated, I got my shoes at LBS's so I wouldn't to try a bunch through the mail and keep sending them back, the LBS measured my feet and found shoes that fit my needs and fit my feet. I did buy a Specialized Geometry SL (red) footbed for more comfort for my flat feet, these work better than the stock footbeds that come in shoes.

dancinkozmo
11-18-2018, 03:51 PM
northwave aereator for me...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_A7QYCOUtiuU/SHYAwnU61bI/AAAAAAAAC6U/Fg_1mwzKG-o/s320/NW-Aerator3V+Boonen06.JPG

XXtwindad
11-18-2018, 04:28 PM
I like the Shimano RP line. Comfortable, and I really like the clean, understated look.

uber
11-18-2018, 04:58 PM
Sidi's are my shoe now. Nothing wrong with Giro's. Lake 402's are amazing with the moldable soles, but they are not for a narrow foot.

soulspinner
11-18-2018, 05:14 PM

My Sidis are relatively old but still great. ive had Lakes that were good but the Sidis are hard to kill. Comfortable for my normal width feet...

dgauthier
11-18-2018, 05:21 PM
had Sidi's for years but finally admitted that they were too narrow, finally gave up and sold my Shot's, bought Lakes..great fit and comfort...haven't looked back..

+1 for Sidi's.

ls1togo, did you ever try Sidi Mega's? They are Sidi's extra wide variation. If you ever do look back...

zzy
11-18-2018, 06:01 PM
Rocked Sidis for 15 years - they never die. But I'm now a convert to Bont. The ergonomics are just so much better with my oversized feet. Don't love the BOA dials that always seem to come loose but the fit is the best I've found. Also like Lake shoes and Shimano MTB shoes, as well as Chrome Pro shoes.

efixler
11-18-2018, 07:09 PM
Sidi, size up a half-size.

CSKeller
11-18-2018, 07:12 PM
Luck shoes from Spain. I really love them and plan on getting another pair or two soon.

https://luck-bike.es/en/

I wrote up a little review in this thread.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums%2Ethepaceline%2 Enet%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D216025&share_tid=216025&share_fid=60324&share_type=t

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ls1togo
11-18-2018, 08:03 PM
+1 for Sidi's.

ls1togo, did you ever try Sidi Mega's? They are Sidi's extra wide variation. If you ever do look back...

No, they don't make the Shot in a Mega, only the Ergo4 and even though they're wider, the shoebox is no larger....but I had Genius 5's, Ergo3's and finally Shot's...I've always worn a medium street shoe (D) so I thought I was sized appropriately. Never a problem with the Genius 5's, I wore them for maybe 10 years and they still weren't worn out when I bought the Ergo3's which very shortly caused a painful bunion on my right foot so I sold them. I then bought the Shot's and for awhile I was fine, then I developed another bunion ( called a "Tailor's bunion") on my left foot!, grrr! tried stretching them (via the podiatrist) pads..nothing worked, sold them...After some research, recommendations, etc..I bought Lake CX 237 Wide's.. real leather, nice and soft!,..they worked great!...not as stylish as the Shot's but very comfortable so no looking back!..:)

El Chaba
11-19-2018, 06:35 AM
I have a "high volume" foot...Nothing works for me quite like older (like 20 years) Carnac Legends. I keep an eye out for NOS pairs in my size. They last a long time and when I count my stash I should be good unless I live beyond 150 years old... They feel like bedroom slippers to my feet even beyond 100 miles...

tv_vt
11-19-2018, 06:49 AM
Sidi. The carbon sole versions. Millenium sole is not quite stiff enough in a size 48. Ergo 2, Ergo 4, and Wire have all been great.

Carnacs before that.

Way way back - Duegi with the wooden sole.

djg21
11-19-2018, 09:44 AM
But Don Lamson moved on, and just opened the doors on his new company.

The new shoes look really slick. Don is using Innegra, instead of the Kevlar sail cloth he used with D2, to eliminate stretch.

https://lamsoncycling.com/shoes

Don has relocated to Green Vally, AZ, near Tucson.

LouDeeter
11-19-2018, 09:51 AM
Sidi mega (wide) Genius model. The single ratchet buckle with two velcro straps has been my go-to shoe for about 20 years.

Wakatel_Luum
11-19-2018, 09:56 AM
Sidi...in black only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdonk
11-19-2018, 10:02 AM
For road, it was a long set of painful experiments (can think of 6 shoes I tried and did not like) and rode for years using mtb shoes and pedals. I have now settled on Bont. I have 2 minor quibbles with them -wish they came in a 45.5 and wish the construction quality was a bit better. I only have 6000k (3 years) on them and they will likely need to be replaced next year after 8000 k.

For mtb, I am a firm supporter of sidi dominator, especially the megas.

MrDangerPants
11-19-2018, 10:29 AM
Ones that fit. :banana:

kingpin75s
11-19-2018, 10:34 AM
Sidi Mega because I need a wide shoe.

That said, if you have narrower feet, I really like the Dromarti lace ups. Bought them for my father and he loves them.

jmoore
11-19-2018, 11:05 AM
northwave aereator for me...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_A7QYCOUtiuU/SHYAwnU61bI/AAAAAAAAC6U/Fg_1mwzKG-o/s320/NW-Aerator3V+Boonen06.JPG

I LOVED those shoes. Super bummed when they changed the last.

Now I'm wearing Pearl Izumi and they fit very well. No issues at all with them.

veggieburger
11-19-2018, 02:23 PM
GAERNE. Anyone who fits Sidis should at least try a pair on, if you can find them. Not crazy popular. Unbelievably durable. Great fit for the narrow foot.

Tickdoc
11-19-2018, 02:32 PM
Another lake fan here. I've had Sidi, and Fizik, but nothing compares to lake for my feet.

sparky33
11-19-2018, 02:48 PM
Road: SWorks 7...this new version has nicer fit and finish than previous versions. stiffff, light, secure boa, supportive, easy on/off

MTB: 5-10 Freerider Pro...because flats are great for driving a mtb from the feet and for messing around in the woods.

All other riding (gravel/rando/jra): Quoc Gran Tourer...took a chance on these Kickstarter lace-ups from the UK, and I really really like them. so comfortable, supple, moderately stiff with meaty lugged sole for hike-a-bike.

*the Shimano S-Phyre XC9 are beautiful high quality xc mtb shoes, but they seem to have a flatter shape than my foot wants.

jemoryl
11-19-2018, 03:13 PM
GAERNE. Anyone who fits Sidis should at least try a pair on, if you can find them. Not crazy popular. Unbelievably durable. Great fit for the narrow foot.

Yup, I'd probably get another pair, but the ones I have are holding up so well. Not easy to find in the US, but good shoes.

MagicHour
11-19-2018, 03:15 PM
Have a couple pairs I rotate and for SPD or Speedplay pedals. Giro and Shimano, they all fit me well and each pair is a different size. Personally I think buying bike shoes is pain, so I tend to get my moneys worth out of a pair of shoes if I find something that fits and insoles and everything is dialed in orthopedically etc.

Probably need to replace my Shimano R171 next season, getting pretty busted and funky from trainer usage. Likely would go with Shimano or Giro again, or maybe Fizik. Like the clean minimal matte black or white shoe designs I'm seeing lately with minimal stripes or logos. Definitely carbon soles again.

owly
11-19-2018, 06:15 PM
One bike for road/gravel so I've settled on S-Works 6 mtb for the time being after going from Shimano road, to Pearl Izumi hike-a-bike (too soft sole), to Giro Terraduro (a bit stiffer than PI), to Lake carbon mtb (heel too loose) to the mtb 6.

Very stiff sole which I like for the long rides and hills. Nice round fairly-wide shape at the front which suits best. Narrow supportive heel.

I've read the 7 is even better. Maybe one day.

dancinkozmo
11-19-2018, 06:21 PM
I LOVED those shoes. Super bummed when they changed the last.

Now I'm wearing Pearl Izumi and they fit very well. No issues at all with them.

good to know..do you take the same size pearl as you did NW ?

Jeff Weir
11-19-2018, 06:33 PM
How does Lake sizing compare to Sidi? I typically wear 47's in Sidi.

Tks

jmoore
11-19-2018, 07:42 PM
good to know..do you take the same size pearl as you did NW ?NW was 46. PI is 47. My PI are the Elite Road or something like that.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

dancinkozmo
11-19-2018, 07:43 PM
thanks

skiezo
11-19-2018, 08:36 PM
I have been riding them for the last 5 years and they fit my wide foot w/a high instep. The ones I wear they quite making but I have a few pairs stashed away.

93KgBike
11-19-2018, 09:53 PM

They really do.

ultraman6970
11-19-2018, 09:53 PM
My favs so far... The original Time shoe, the original Look shoe, the old carnacs were fantastic shoes, whatever those 3 companies made afterwards just sucks, always trying to improve what was perfect.

Nowadays I rock wide Lake shoes.

doomridesout
11-19-2018, 11:24 PM
Wide Lakes. Feet like a ping pong paddle, they're the only thing with enough room.

ScottW
11-20-2018, 01:03 AM
Lake because they fit well with my slightly wide-ish (E width) feet and high arches.

Tickdoc
11-20-2018, 05:15 AM
How does Lake sizing compare to Sidi? I typically wear 47's in Sidi.

Tks

Slightly more generous than the narrow standard sidi width and with a bit more of an arch. My lakes are heat moldable as well (cx402)

El Chaba
11-20-2018, 06:27 AM
My favs so far... The original Time shoe, the original Look shoe, the old carnacs were fantastic shoes, whatever those 3 companies made afterwards just sucks, always trying to improve what was perfect.

Nowadays I rock wide Lake shoes.

I don't know who made the original Looks, but they were quality shoes....The original Time shoes (for about 5-6 years or so) were made by Carnac and they were great as all Carnacs were. The short version of the story on Carnac was that the company was passed from one generation to the next. The newer generation assumed that the previous one didn't know anything and changed up everything about the niche that Carnac had created for themselves. Carnac was gone within three years and the name sold so that it really has very little to do with the original company.

ultraman6970
11-20-2018, 09:16 AM
Adidas had good stuff but they needed to make them wider at the toe box, suddenly as carnac and other ones they started morphing their shoes into super ugly POS that nobody wanted, end of the cycling line for adidas.

Mzilliox
11-20-2018, 09:46 AM
I have been riding them for the last 5 years and they fit my wide foot w/a high instep. The ones I wear they quite making but I have a few pairs stashed away.

I love my first pair of fizik, the r3 in sz 44. so i went and bought the r1s in sz44 and they are too arrow in the toe box. so now i am nervous to shell out the bucks for fizik when they cant make their sizing more standard...

the Fizik look better than all the shoes besides giros too.

Mattbotak
11-21-2018, 01:00 AM

I am still in denial. They are too narrow for me too.

wpod
11-21-2018, 02:07 PM
Loving my Sidi Drako's...

enr1co
11-21-2018, 02:56 PM
Gaerne

scoobydrew
11-21-2018, 04:21 PM
I'd love to try out some Lakes. Anyone know how they size?

I went through their foot measurement procedure (https://lakecycling.com/pages/sizing-charts). Length-wise, my feet measure to 255mm. Lake recommends adding 5mm to this measurement, so it actually comes out to 260mm. This is ever so slightly larger than their Size 41 (259.40mm). I'm concerned that the Size 42 (266mm) may come out a touch too long.

ultraman6970
11-21-2018, 05:04 PM
I use wide and I go straight no adding the 5 mm... the problem with me is the heel... my heel bones arent like super pronuntiated, actually what I did was just toss their insoles and use a pair of insoles like in 36 (im a 45 wide), that gets my heel deeper, than cut a piece of another insole for the front that is missing. That got my heel in better, actually that was the last hack i did to fix my heels fit.

Lake sizing with shoes is ok with the table but the dutch do not tell you a secret and I do not know if anybody here noticed, if you go one model and then you go to another model (high end), the fit is different, the shoes gets roomier.

For example right now the 45 cx 218 are ok still with a few mm to spare, wide fit... if i go the next up like the cx 237, wide and in 45 the shoe feels like almost half number more to me, if I go down to the cx175 wide and 45 the shoe is narrower, so to me probably the cx237 probably I should pick like 44 wide or maybe like a 44.5 regular. THey say they have sports and regular fit shoes the problem is that u dont know till you get them, thats why I ended up with 3 sets of different models just trying to find the right one, of course had to wait to find them for the right price.

Once found a set of 45 wide of the 500 bucks high end shoes, the insole was a 45 wide, but those felt like a 47, no amount of oven heating was going to fix the fit. IMO lake should do the tables for each shoe instead of showing you a general one, which helps but is not the optimal imo.

IMO the table fits accuratelly with the cx218... wonder if somebody else can add some insight about it.

Hellgate
11-21-2018, 05:19 PM
SIDI

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Seramount
11-21-2018, 06:14 PM
went thru two pairs of Nikes, were ok, nothing great.

had a pair of Lakes, ok for a couple of years and then the sole delaminated.

currently using Giro Empire ACCs...like em, they seem to fit my narrow-ish foot well. the laces took a little adjustment after using BOAs tho.

never ride at nite, but the hyper-reflective version is pretty cool anyways...