PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade from Claris components

stratocaster142
11-16-2018, 08:14 PM
Well I was able to get my wife hooked on cycling! We started her out this summer on a Trek Domane 2.0 Women's bike. It unfortunately came with Claris 8-spd components. I knew they would be very meh and didn't expect much, but they are terrible. Shifting to the big ring is physically almost too hard for her on long rides. So I'd like to upgrade her as she's now really into it.

It has Bontrager TLR wheels on it, will those support 10-speed?

Also, I read the Claris uses some weird type of BB. Looks threaded, but doesn't have a large nut on the outside. Will that BB support 105 cranks?

R3awak3n
11-16-2018, 08:30 PM
will most likely work with a 105 crank. You should upgrade her to 105 for sure. Great stuff and pretty cheap.

oliver1850
11-16-2018, 11:35 PM
I don't have any experience with Claris but haven't had any problem with Sora and Tiagra. Lower end Shimano usually works fine if set up right.

Is the problem too much pressure required on the lever to shift (but it shifts fine), or it's just reluctant to make the shift? My first guess is the high limit screw needs to be backed out a bit.

dddd
11-17-2018, 12:38 AM
Agree with oliver1850, and that the cable guide under the bottom bracket might be dirty, dry or contaminated with drink residue and thus causing a lot of cable friction.

Sometimes also the cable isn't following the exact right path at the guide, or the cable is secured/clamped at the pinch bolt on the front derailer but with the cable routed under (inside of) the tiny tab instead of over/around it, and which affects shifting effort greatly.

stratocaster142
11-17-2018, 10:38 PM
It shifts just fine, just a ton of force and super long throw to get it into the large chain ring. The long/difficult throw is even mentioned in a bunch of reviews too. This is definitely more low end than my Tiagra and it's VERY noticeable.

I can do it just fine, but for her hand size and hand strength, it's just too much for her.

I haven't re-lubed the cable guides, but she doesn't have a ton of miles on it either.

stratocaster142
11-17-2018, 10:40 PM
My first guess is the high limit screw needs to be backed out a bit.

The derailleur actually moves out a bit after the chain fully engages. So the shifter is unable to move the derailleur out all of the way.

Clancy
11-18-2018, 06:22 AM
The rear wheel should accept an 11 speed cassette.

Shimano 105. Performance very close to Dura Ace at a fraction of the cost

biker72
11-18-2018, 06:52 AM
I'd go with 105 11sp if possible.

oldpotatoe
11-18-2018, 08:08 AM
will most likely work with a 105 crank. You should upgrade her to 105 for sure. Great stuff and pretty cheap.

BUT the OP should be advised, those wheels 'probably' won't support a 11s cogset..10s 105 is out there but getting scarce. PLUS the LH 11s shifter effort much lower than older stuff.

ahh I see they are..the 105 group, a great choice..shifters, ders, cogset and chain is all she needs..

stratocaster142
11-19-2018, 11:08 AM
So this is super frustrating. On 2 bikes and one extra rear Bontrager wheel, I cannot find any identifying marks of model number/type.

Given that we got her bike this summer, is it safe to assume it would accept an 11spd cassette? One person here said probably, but I'd like to know definitely.

Also, her BB is an Octalink type. Did Shimano even make a 105 10 or 11spd Octalink crank setup? Should I just assume I need to change to different type of thread-in BB? Right now is an RS-200 crank

josephr
11-19-2018, 11:31 AM
It shifts just fine, just a ton of force and super long throw to get it into the large chain ring. The long/difficult throw is even mentioned in a bunch of reviews too. This is definitely more low end than my Tiagra and it's VERY noticeable.

I can do it just fine, but for her hand size and hand strength, it's just too much for her.

I haven't re-lubed the cable guides, but she doesn't have a ton of miles on it either.

This makes me wonder if there's a cable length tension problem...even Tourney shifts require little effort, despite a somewhat long throw. Maybe long term start looking for something else, but in the interim I'd pull that cable and give it a light lube. While doing that, also double check your FD alignment in the low position and be sure all the all the slack is out.

very likely your wheelset is 10sp...there's some nice inexpensive wheelsets out there for 11sp --- the Shimano RS11s are durable, good looking, and a very budget friendly. If you're going to keep the current wheelset, Tiagra 10sp is a good option.

Jaybee
11-19-2018, 11:45 AM
Duplicate....

Jaybee
11-19-2018, 11:47 AM
If you want to change the crank, then I would just go with a new 5800/7000 with the external cups. You could also just change to 11 speed chainrings on the existing crank, though the 105 crankset (or non-series Shimano) are such a good deal, I would just do that

Assuming your wheel is 10 speed and you don't want to pay for a new one, the HG-700 or HG-800 Shimano cassettes will squeeze 11 cogs on to a 10 speed freehub. You just have to be OK with 11-34 gearing and go with a GS (long cage) derailleur.

eippo1
11-19-2018, 11:50 AM
So this is super frustrating. On 2 bikes and one extra rear Bontrager wheel, I cannot find any identifying marks of model number/type.

Given that we got her bike this summer, is it safe to assume it would accept an 11spd cassette? One person here said probably, but I'd like to know definitely.

Also, her BB is an Octalink type. Did Shimano even make a 105 10 or 11spd Octalink crank setup? Should I just assume I need to change to different type of thread-in BB? Right now is an RS-200 crank

Is there a spacer between the hub and cassette? If so, that's a pretty safe bet that it's 11 speed compatible. Do you have a friend with an 11 speed cassette? It's pretty easy to pop off and throw on to see if it fits.

I think the RS 200 is a square taper bb. So you'll want to get a GXP BB to use with the 105 crank. I have an unused BB and 105 52-36 crankset at home that I can send to you for not much $ -- just taking up space at my place. Also, didn't respond to this as an opportunity to sell, but just thought of it as I was typing.

stratocaster142
11-19-2018, 12:08 PM
This makes me wonder if there's a cable length tension problem...even Tourney shifts require little effort, despite a somewhat long throw. Maybe long term start looking for something else, but in the interim I'd pull that cable and give it a light lube. While doing that, also double check your FD alignment in the low position and be sure all the all the slack is out.

very likely your wheelset is 10sp...there's some nice inexpensive wheelsets out there for 11sp --- the Shimano RS11s are durable, good looking, and a very budget friendly. If you're going to keep the current wheelset, Tiagra 10sp is a good option.

The real goal for her bike at the moment is to get easier FD shifting at a minimum. I disconnected the cable from the FD, set the low limit screw appropriately (while in Big rear/Little front), then re-attached the cable ensuring it's taught. Then I set the high limit screw appropriately while it's in the (Little rear/Big front).

I have Tiagra 10spd on my bike right now, and I'm upgrading to eTAP. I was going to toss my setup on her bike, but with my stuff having 2k hard miles on everything, I figured I'd look into something new and shiny for her. Definitely needs a new cassette, chain, and BB if I went that route.

brainbow
11-19-2018, 12:20 PM
Have similar situation with a customer - she has an A bike with 105 that she enjoys thoroughly, just purchased new B bike for fenders etc, came stock with Claris and feels like poo. I've outlined 9sp SORA "upgrade" because great feel/performance at price point and she's into it, but keep hearing from her that she thinks she wants to go to 105 for familiar sake. I'm wondering if there's a best "mix" of 105/non-series that'll get her into the new feel that folks usually equate with 11sp (9sp SORA does the trick nicely).

Re: FD condition - getting the right cable wrap around the FD cable pinch bolt helps.

Re: cranks - depending on whether RS200 or RS2000, the existing BB may work.

stratocaster142
11-19-2018, 12:33 PM
She's only known the Claris from a road bike perspective, so 9 or 10spd is fine. No reason it has to be 11spd, and in fact I'd be against it if it required a new wheel.

I loosen the pinch bolt, go up and over the bolt then back down vertically toward the rings and bring it slightly back in toward the non-drive side so the end sticks that way....then tighten.

RS200 on the crank

josephr
11-20-2018, 08:38 AM
The real goal for her bike at the moment is to get easier FD shifting at a minimum. I disconnected the cable from the FD, set the low limit screw appropriately (while in Big rear/Little front), then re-attached the cable ensuring it's taught. Then I set the high limit screw appropriately while it's in the (Little rear/Big front).

I have Tiagra 10spd on my bike right now, and I'm upgrading to eTAP. I was going to toss my setup on her bike, but with my stuff having 2k hard miles on everything, I figured I'd look into something new and shiny for her. Definitely needs a new cassette, chain, and BB if I went that route.

I'd go with that! :banana:

stratocaster142
11-20-2018, 08:44 AM
I'd go with that! :banana:

LOL, which one?

false_Aest
11-20-2018, 11:31 AM
I've been testing Microshift stuff for some OEM stuff.

I am legitimately impressed with what they offer and at a pricepoint that's better than Shimano.

No, it doesn't compete with DA/Record/Red but at the Tiagra/Claris/105 level it's quite good and compatible with Shimano bits.

Not sure how front shifting works with smaller hands but the medium-build ladies that have tested it out haven't complained.

brainbow
11-20-2018, 12:24 PM
as is case with my project - would need to replace rear wheel, and so will go Sora 9sp w FC-R3000 to seal the deal.

stratocaster142
11-20-2018, 11:54 PM
Crap, just forgot I'd need new crank arms for her if I put my setup on her bike. I have 175's, she has 170's.

stratocaster142
12-03-2018, 10:27 PM
Here's my 105 shopping list - just under $550
Shimano XT/Ultegra CN-HG701 11-Speed Chain Quick Link, One Size -
Shimano 105 ST-R7000 STI Shifters
Shimano 105 FC-R7000 Crankset 170x50/34
Shimano 105 FD-R7000 Front Derailleur 31.8/28.6mm
Shimano 105 CS-HG700 Cassette 11x34 (so I don't have to change wheels)
Shimano 105 RD-R7000 Rear Derailleur Black, Long

vs

Tiagra setup - about $170
Shimano Tiagra HG500 10spd 11-32
Shimano Tiagra 4700 170x50/34 (my crank arms are too long for her)
Shimano Ultegra 6701 10-Speed Chain
Used derailleurs, shifters from my bike

Both can use the following BB which should fit her frame correct? Which can be installed with a ParkTool BBT-9?
Shimano SM-BBR60 Ultegra / FC-CX70 / 105 Hollowtech II Bottom Bracket

oliver1850
12-04-2018, 01:44 PM
You can get a complete 5800 group from Ribble for $456, shipped. Only snag is they don't list the 11-34 cassette as an option.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/29974/

Merlin has 5800 (with Tiagra calipers) for only $337 but you would need to find the cassette and GS cage RD somewhere else.

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-105-5800-11-speed-groupset-72462.html

Total cycling has an Ultegra GS cage, 11-34 cassette, and chain package for $180 shipped:

https://www.totalcycling.com/en/Shimano-Ultegra-R8000-11-34-11-Speed-Upgrade-Mini-Group/m-23193.aspx

That's the right BB and tool for an English threaded frame.