PDA

View Full Version : Italy in June 2019

dbnm
11-15-2018, 05:52 PM
I am planning a family trip to Tuscany in June and I am hoping to get a 3-5 day bike trip in as wheel.

I am just starting to research the cycling there. Any recommendations or advice?

TurboNate
11-15-2018, 08:20 PM
I would vouch for Jesse at brokencompasstours.com

He helped a group of us out last year in the Dolomites by mapping out some awesome routes, taking us to some cool places to drink and eat along the way, and seamlessly sagged and rode the five days with us. Him and a friend, Gabriel, made it so easy to just go ride our bikes. We are a pretty serious group of riders who all have been riding for decades and were expecting to put in a decent amount of miles and we were blown away of how good of a job he did by linking roads/villages together to circle through the Dolomites for five days point to point.

He operates and lives out of Tuscany so I would imagine he would be able to provide info, bike rental, guiding, or whatever you would need to have a great trip.

Full disclosure, I have never ridden in Tuscany, by this would be my first avenue to go about it.

Best of luck, have fun!

Mr. Pink
11-15-2018, 09:17 PM
3-5 day tour, or 3-5 out of one location?

thunderworks
11-15-2018, 09:31 PM
Tuscany is my favorite place in the world to ride. Really wonderful. There will be less traffic on the Mediterranean side. It's hilly and challenging, but endlessly beautiful. On Our last trip we rented a house near Suvereto and rode nice loops for five days, not very long, but all pleasant. Longest was a little less than 50 miles. Most in the 25-30 mile range.

We used VRBO to find the house. Feel free to pm me if you want more information.

dbnm
11-15-2018, 09:35 PM
I will probably be doing loops or out and backs. So starting and ending at the same place every day.

Should I bring my bike? Bike rentals?

thunderworks
11-15-2018, 09:52 PM
Tuscany bike rentals:

https://www.tuscany.bike/luxury-bike-rent/?gclid=CO7Fg7f13tECFZK6wAodfWYDSg

In Lucca you can rent from:

http://www.chronobikes.com/

In Donorotico:

Ciclosport

The folks in Donoratico are really nice and they have nice BMc bikes, but if your timing overlaps with Andy Hampsten's tours, they probably can't be relied on to have bikes available. Andy's customers get priority.

If taking your own bike is an option, that's probably best.

Mr. Pink
11-16-2018, 07:15 AM
Don't be tempted to rent a place in a hill town (Siena, Volterra, Montalcino, so many more) because you'll have a pretty intense climb to finish your ride every day. Stay down at the base of the town in an agriturismo, one that at least serves breakfast. So, you'll need a car to get around, especially to eat, unless you're lucky enough to have food served all day where ever you are staying. That's why tours and bike hotels are so nice, they know that cyclists get hungry, and can't wait until 7pm after a long ride to eat. Tuscany needs a good bike hotel.
Try to make your way over to Volterra. It's beautiful over there. But, it's beautiful everywhere in Tuscany.

echelon_john
11-16-2018, 07:20 AM
If you're interested in the Lucca area let me know if you'd like to stay in our house:

www.luccavacationhome.com

PM if you'd like to discuss--minimum 10% off (in high season) for PL members.

Thanks!
JC