PDA

View Full Version : My visit to Jitensha Studio

rsl
11-14-2006, 11:26 AM
This past weekend my wife and I went to California, and I had the chance to visit Jitensha Studio in Berkeley. I would HIGHLY recommend a stop if you are every anywhere near Berkeley. Though I didn't get to spend much time there (my wife's parents were in tow and itching to get to San Francisco), I was very impressed.

The storefront beckons you to step inside with a few brightly painted frames artfully displayed in the windows. As we entered I could hear footsteps from the back of the shop, and soon Hiroshi appeared to welcome us to his shop. The space is austere, populated by perhaps 2 dozen unique and gorgeous bicycles, with an display honoring bicycling history on one of the walls and a display of lust-worthy fenders on another. I chatted with Hiroshi a bit about his shop and bicycles and left with a very favorable impression of a talented, humble, and passionate man.

Sorry that I don't have pics, though the website has some. I was just so enchanted I had to share this with everyone.

www.jitensha.com

mosca
11-14-2006, 12:27 PM
I had a similar experience there several months ago. I got there just before closing time so was not able to stay too long, although I could have spent hours just perusing the beautiful Japanese books and magazines he had there.

I also dug the austere style, it has a kind of Soho gallery feel to it. Such a contrast to the visual noise of a typical bike shop.

Agreed, definitely worth a visit :beer:

Serpico
11-14-2006, 12:53 PM
awesome

dbrk
11-14-2006, 01:53 PM
Sometimes when Hiroshi is busy the open door of the shop has a bike sitting athwarts ship, as it were...so you step into the threshold but there is a bike you would have to move to get into the shop. Of course, you get the immediate sensation _not_ to touch this bike that is "in your way" but to wait. Hiroshi then appears, either looking up to see who's at the door or emerging from the back, and he comes and moves the bike. The situation is _not_ unwelcoming, imho, but reflective...'You sure you want to come in here, 'cause comin' in here is something you're going to have to want to do...there's no casual strolling in when that bike is there. This is a studio, as the name plainly tells you, not just a place where things are sold or even examined; it's a place where things are done and the things you see explicitly valued; seeing things that are beautifully made, you come closer to the craft and the persons making them....or something like that.

dbrk