PDA

View Full Version : Where Would You Go???

mso
11-14-2006, 10:03 AM
If you could go anywhere for a season to enjoy the outdoors where would it be and what season would in be in?

J.Greene
11-14-2006, 10:07 AM
If you could go anywhere for a season to enjoy the outdoors where would it be and what season would in be in?

Maine in the summer. Weather, riding, kayaking and food all are tops atmo.

JG

Tailwinds
11-14-2006, 10:20 AM
Italy, Australia, or New Zealand in the Spring.

William
11-14-2006, 10:36 AM
It may sound hokey to some, and it may be part nostalgic on my part, but Corvallis Oregon (as a base) on the edge of the Willamette Valley in summer and early fall. Forays into the coast range, up Mary's Peak, across the valley floor into the foothills of the Cascades, rolling, flat, big climbs, all outside of town. Any type of riding you want right outside your door. And it's in wine country too. bcm-119 thinks I'm nuts. ;) Makes me misty just thinking about it.

Also:
New Zealand in the spring/summer time.

William

dauwhe
11-14-2006, 10:47 AM
Easy question... Canadian Rockies from Feb. 1 to April 30...

Backcountry skiing paradise...

Dave, impatiently waiting for snow...

Ray
11-14-2006, 11:13 AM
Pennsylvania Dutch Country (which I live pretty much on the edge of) in the spring and fall (most years, this fall hasn't been so great). Colorado/Utah/New Mexico Rockies in the winter (skiing) and summer (hiking/biking and just looking around and breathing).

-Ray

JohnS
11-14-2006, 11:16 AM
Scottish Highlands in June. I would love to live in Fort William for the summer.

William
11-14-2006, 11:19 AM
Scottish Highlands in June. I would love to live in Fort William.....

....Wallace?

William ;)

BoulderGeek
11-14-2006, 11:21 AM
Pennsylvania Dutch Country (which I live pretty much on the edge of) in the spring and fall (most years, this fall hasn't been so great). Colorado/Utah/New Mexico Rockies in the winter (skiing) and summer (hiking/biking and just looking around and breathing).

-Ray

That's funny, to me, Ray.

I grew up in Lancaster County, and that's where I began my cycling life. I learned to climb heinous hills while keeping wheelspin on wet leaves to a minimum. Too grey, overcase, wet and miserable for me, though.

So, I relocated to the Rockies in 1987.

Haven't thought of anywhere else for a long time. But, now I am feeling the pull of the Alps.

And, Colorado is changing so much, I'd love to find somewhere else in the US that was less crowded, had a better economy, similar dry weather, and year-round activities outdoors. I like the Corvallis idea; have to investigate.

alancw3
11-14-2006, 11:25 AM
right now naples, fl. high 82 low 62 the past week and next week!

JohnS
11-14-2006, 11:55 AM
right now naples, fl. high 82 low 62 the past week and next week!
Too hot. I'd love to find a place that stayed between 45 and 75 all year.

Ray
11-14-2006, 12:27 PM
That's funny, to me, Ray.

I grew up in Lancaster County, and that's where I began my cycling life. I learned to climb heinous hills while keeping wheelspin on wet leaves to a minimum. Too grey, overcase, wet and miserable for me, though.

So, I relocated to the Rockies in 1987.

Haven't thought of anywhere else for a long time. But, now I am feeling the pull of the Alps.

And, Colorado is changing so much, I'd love to find somewhere else in the US that was less crowded, had a better economy, similar dry weather, and year-round activities outdoors. I like the Corvallis idea; have to investigate.
I'm next door in Chester County and ride out into Lancaster a lot. The wet leaves are only for a couple weeks or less, most years. This autumn has been pretty grey, I admit. But I find this to be a really easy climate to take, with the spring and fall being the best of it most years. Even summer and winter are pretty ok around here. The hills are still heinous and I find this area to be as beautiful as just about anywhere. I lived in the southwest part of Colorado for a few years - pretty uncrowded. Great summers and winters, but spring and fall were pretty wet and muddy. The Alps are beautiful, but not ALL that different from the Rockies in terms of climate, scenery, and outdoor options. I've lived in other great places (Puget Sound, Arizona desert) and visited tons of others, but if I was picking a place to spend a season, it'd be one of those. Or when I get too old to like the cold weather and snow, maybe Hawaii or St. Lucia in the winter.

-Ray

J.Greene
11-14-2006, 12:28 PM
chester in the season my frame is done.

JG

Dan Le foot
11-14-2006, 12:58 PM
Durango and Southwest Colorado mountains.

We were there for a few months last Spring/Summer.(Motorhoming)
Great for cycling (road and mt) and hiking. Lots of big mountains to summit. (14000+ feet) Beautiful country.
I think everyone in Durango is required to have a lease one bike. Motorist are real courteous. Cyclist everywhere. I believe there are 5 bike shops in the town of 15,000. I emailed Bob Roll when we were there (Durango is home) to see if he wanted to go for a spin. He never responded. I think he had a gig in France at the time.
Danielson's wife blew by us on her mt bike while we were hiking. A trail I wouldn't try biking in my wildest dream.
I understand the Western Rockies are even nicer in the fall.
We are going to explore central Oregon next year. We hear it is also nice country for the outdoor person.
Dan
:cool:

Ken Robb
11-14-2006, 01:01 PM
Too hot. I'd love to find a place that stayed between 45 and 75 all year.
I don't remember it getting as cold as 45 F. and occassionally we get over 80F but it sounds like you want San Diego weather near the coast. Inland gets much hotter and colder.

Ken Robb
11-14-2006, 01:14 PM
There are so many neat places I can't pick just one. Early to mid-October is my favorite times almost anywhere. Leslie and I had such a good time last year in the Finger Lakes in October that we went back for a week last July and will almost surely do it again. Love New England, Aspen, Sierras, Eastern Alabama and Tennessee, etc. Eastern Carolinas looked good too but I didn't have time to tarry.

Serpico
11-14-2006, 01:14 PM
italy, japan

kinda warm out, but not hot (whatever season, I like fall in US)

JohnS
11-14-2006, 02:11 PM
I don't remember it getting as cold as 45 F. and occassionally we get over 80F but it sounds like you want San Diego weather near the coast. Inland gets much hotter and colder.
Naw, sorry Ken. My wife's from LA. The hiking sucks in that area and we like the change in seasons. In fact, mid-Sept through mid-Oct is my favorite time of year.

bcm119
11-14-2006, 02:16 PM
It may sound hokey to some, and it may be part nostalgic on my part, but Corvallis Oregon (as a base) on the edge of the Willamette Valley in summer and early fall. Forays into the coast range, up Mary's Peak, across the valley floor into the foothills of the Cascades, rolling, flat, big climbs, all outside of town. Any type of riding you want right outside your door. And it's in wine country too. bcm-119 thinks I'm nuts. ;) Makes me misty just thinking about it.

Also:
New Zealand in the spring/summer time.

William
You're nuts. ;)

With the weather we've been having, I feel like visiting the desert. I like Anza Borrego in the early spring when the ocotillo is blooming.

Southern Vermont/Berkshires or the Adirondacks in the fall.

Early spring on the central Calif. coast when the hills are green.

Bud
11-14-2006, 02:25 PM
Summer: cycling in the Rockies
Winter: skiing in the Rockies

(not very original since I'm already here. . .but it's a great place to enjoy nature)

72gmc
11-14-2006, 02:28 PM
We are going to explore central Oregon next year. We hear it is also nice country for the outdoor person.

Sssssshhhhhhhhhh..... don't give it away

saab2000
11-14-2006, 02:30 PM
Cycling in Switzerland in the summer.

eddief
11-14-2006, 02:30 PM
especially for cycling. My guess is April, May, June would all be quite delicious.

Ken Robb
11-14-2006, 03:04 PM
Naw, sorry Ken. My wife's from LA. The hiking sucks in that area and we like the change in seasons. In fact, mid-Sept through mid-Oct is my favorite time of year.

"My wife's from LA" for a comparo to San Diego is like saying all of Michigan is like Detroit. When I want changes of seasons I travel 1 hour east to the mountains. I have gone cross-country skiing in the morning on Palomar Mtn. and body surfing at La Jolla shores that afternoon. I love your weather in May-JUne and Sept-Oct except when it's raining for more than 2 hours. :)