PDA

View Full Version : Own your very own bike business !

Louis
11-13-2006, 09:56 PM
Branford Bike for Sale (http://www.branfordbike.com/cgi-bin/perlshop/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=push&thispage=shop/shopsale.html&ORDER_ID=272535838)

Another thread today got me to thinking about what would happen to the old Branford Bike web site. I remembered that shortly after the fire Tim had posted that he was getting out of the business. I wandered over and apparently he is going to try to sell. All his inventory burned down, so what he's really selling is the web site (which I think is one of the most informative out there, second only to Harris / Sheldon Brown) and his customer connections. There's also a bit of financial information that gives you some idea of what his markup has been recently.

I have no idea if the price is reasonable....

Louis

flyingscot
11-14-2006, 04:44 AM
Basic selling price is $75K on sales of $600K and a net profit of $150K
So the business has a P/E ratio of 0.5 !

Thats a rather sobering thought for someone who has made this their lifes work

Mud
11-14-2006, 08:05 AM
the price is a steal since you will earn twice your investment. The return on investment over any length of time is better than drugs and legal.

The flip side is that it is hard work and there is no guarantee you will retain the base of customers who have moved on to other suppliers. He was a Campy only house having been squeezed out by Shimano.

Margins on parts, gruppos, clothes are substantially less that 55%. All I can say that if someone is interested, get all the figures, especially what the sales mix is that allows a 55% gross profit on sales.