PDA

View Full Version : 9 Speed Shimano XT rear derailleurs - M750 or M772?

NHAero
11-12-2018, 06:19 AM
I want to replace an RD-M750 XT long cage rear derailleur. Should I get another one, or a more modern RD-M772 Shadow? This is for my Big Dummy so I'm not worried about catching twigs out on the trail (I understand the Shadow is tucked in closer).
Reading the Web I see that the 772 doesn't have a barrel adjuster and some opinions are that it doesn't shift as well. Maybe this is a not broke, don't fix it situation?

oldpotatoe
11-12-2018, 06:22 AM
I want to replace an RD-M750 XT long cage rear derailleur. Should I get another one, or a more modern RD-M772 Shadow? This is for my Big Dummy so I'm not worried about catching twigs out on the trail (I understand the Shadow is tucked in closer).
Reading the Web I see that the 772 doesn't have a barrel adjuster and some opinions are that it doesn't shift as well. Maybe this is a not broke, don't fix it situation?

Just get a Jagwire barrel adjuster 'plug' and plug it in..shifts fine...Why replacing the -M750? But either will work.

NHAero
11-12-2018, 07:13 AM
Nine years of service on a cargo bike, through winters, it's rusty and a bit bent, and I just changed the chain, cassette, and chainrings, so derailleur and cable will round it out.

Just get a Jagwire barrel adjuster 'plug' and plug it in..shifts fine...Why replacing the -M750? But either will work.

dave thompson
11-12-2018, 08:41 AM
I installed a 9-speed Shadow rear der on my wife’s touring bike. Other than the lack of an adjuster, no big deal, it’s worked very well for years.

I think either derailleur would suit you well.

HenryA
11-12-2018, 08:44 AM
A super cleaning of the derailleur including the jockey wheels might be the inexpensive way out. I redid my MTB, replacing all the parts you have and ultrasonic cleaned the derailleur. Lubed carefully with teflon grease and it worked like new and still is.