PDA

View Full Version : I need your help.

Sandy
04-30-2004, 05:23 PM
I am really trying to improve as a cyclist and I believe that pedal stroke is crucial to that improvement. I have been given some great advice by Kind Keno, Fatso Flydhest, and Too Teriffic Too Tall. I have, with the assistance of Super Smiley, adjusted my seat position, moving it mostly up and back. I feel as if my left foot is doing exactly what I want it to, and the right foot is getting better. But the right foot feels as if it wants a little more room so that it can come up and around as easily and smoothly as the left does.

What might I try to remedy the problem that I have? Raise the seat a little more? (Don't think that I want to go there) Push the seat a little back? Use some sort of spacer on the right shoe? Change the position of the cleats on the right shoe a little? Left shoe changes?

I would REALLY appreciate what advice that you might give me. I went to a couple of chiropractors a few years ago to address the issue, but all I really got from each was an exam. One wanted to start treatments right away, and the other wanted me to have x-rays taken. So I did nothing.

At age 63, I really think that I am capable of improving considerably if I follow my above coaches ideas, lose some damn weight, and solve my right foot problem. Isn't cycling wonderful? A 63 year old guy trying to improve and believing IF he has enough discipline, then it will happen.

THANKS,

Sandy

Sandy
04-30-2004, 05:39 PM
Two years ago, I found a pair of cycling shoes on sale at a deep discout, at Performance. The left was size 40 and right was size 48. Since the price was so low, I bought the pair. Could that be the problem??? :) :)

Just kidding! I really would appreciate any advice that I receive.

Shoe Salesman Sandy

H.Frank Beshear
04-30-2004, 09:14 PM
Sandy do you have a leg length issue. One of my legs is about a 1/4 inch shorter than the other I use shims to bring them closerand it made a difference in the feel of my stroke. Have the good Captain check them for you. Hope this helps Frank

Climb01742
05-01-2004, 05:35 AM
sandy, definitely check leg lenght. also check pronation and whether footbeds would help. also there's a way to measure leg power output and where in your stroke the power is/isn't coming. my bike shop has a bike on a trainer hooked up to a computer with this software that can map power output for each leg. if you want, i could ask them the name of the software/hardware set-up so you could check in your area and see if any shop had/offered it. it seems like a great way to quantify what we "feel". another thought is, might your legs be of different strengths? my right leg is weaker than my left, so i'm doing lots of single leg strength work to balance them out. and to really pile it on :p how about flexibility? is one leg tighter? our bodies are very rarely balnced. one side is almost always stronger/weaker or tighter/more flexible. good luck.

Hard Fit
05-01-2004, 09:03 AM
Are you right-handed? I find that my right leg also does not do as good as a job as the left. I think it is due to the fact that previously the right leg did most of the work and needs the most remedial training. Maybe all that is needed is more training.

Hard Fit

zap
05-01-2004, 09:06 AM
As others stated, check leg length.

Kevan
05-01-2004, 11:30 AM
you ight want to check their length too while you're at. Honestly, not only for the wind resistance,but you're in danger of getting that right one stuck in the rear derailleur; could be a painful way to get your ear pierced if you ask me!

I'm here to help.

Needs Help
05-01-2004, 02:14 PM
my bike shop has a bike on a trainer hooked up to a computer with this software that can map power output for each leg. if you want, i could ask them the name of the software/hardware set-up so you could check in your area and see if any shop had/offered it.

...sounds like a CompuTrainer.

http://www.computrainer.com/index.asp

Click on the SpinScan feature(one of the blue boxes on the left) for a description.

jerome
05-02-2004, 02:41 PM
Hi Sandy,
I had the same feeling a few years ago.
You can try to change your saddle heigh only on a few miles and it is better to try it on a ong steedy climb that you know weel. You will feel if you are more or less efficient.
Try inside soles like conformable www.sidas. com for pronation or any others problems
What kind of pedals do you use, try pedals with a large rotation angle and some lateral play, speedplay or time are greats for that.
Chaeck the orientation of your saddle ? must be straight, in the same line of the top tube.
sincerely

va rider
05-03-2004, 07:26 AM
Sandy -

I am not sure what you mean when you say your right foot wants more room. Are you losing power at the top of the pedal stroke?

Could this be a crank arm length issue? A foot length issue? a cleat angle issue? a shoe size issue?

Sure, but we are all just guessing. I would humbly suggest touching base with Smiley on the fit issues. You could try all of these out on a Serotta cycle that mimics your bike. If that does not produce positive results, try the computrainer or similar device.

Maybe in the next week or two, you and I could hit the road together and maybe I can give you a hand.

csb
05-03-2004, 08:33 AM
possibles:
1. hip flexor(s) a bit tight
2. hamstrings a bit tight
3. custom insoles and cleat alignment

i had a 'student' of bill petersens make me a
pair of insoles and set up my cleats, and boy
how that helped. my cleats are fixed, talk about
extra power!

csb

Andreu
05-03-2004, 08:37 AM
You need to train ....I know it sounds obvious....but you need to train your body especially your hips, legs and feet (of course!) to pedal. Have you tried a fixed-gear or Power cranks (see http://www.ibboworld.com/25972.html for a better description and training diary)?
Or on your own bike start with low gears and keep pedalling (even downhill) and as the strength builds and you become accustmed to pedalling you can push bigger gears (I would give this a few months practise). When I say pedalling I mean maintaining contact with the power the full rotation of the pedal in both legs - very, very difficult. I find my legs "switch off" when I get tired. Its not easy to pedal properly It really takes alot of dedication to do this. I have been trying to learn how to pedal for a long time and I am still learning.
A

Smiley
05-04-2004, 06:09 AM
Sandy , you need to buy yourself a new set of properly fitting shoes , preferably with carbon soles. And it would not hurt if these suckers were custom made for your feet ( did you ever mention the size of your feet ). Thats where the power comes from and maybe just maybe you've fatigued your plastic soles of your shoes over time. I really noticed a BIG improvement with power output when I switched to my new carbon soled R 215 shimano shoes. Just my nickels worth of advice.