PDA

View Full Version : OT: Forget the ergs, who here gets out on the water?

happycampyer
11-10-2018, 10:04 AM
The WaterRower vs. Concept2 thread got me thinking—who here gets out on the water, and if so, where and how? Do you have a single? Where do you store it? Do you belong to a club?

I hadn’t been in a boat in decades, and was cajoled into getting in an alumni eight at the HOSR. Needless to say that it was a lot more fun (and challenging) than rowing on an erg. It would be nice to get out on the water once in a while, but I wouldn’t be able to commit to regular morning workouts. Curious what others manage to do.

merckx
11-10-2018, 10:13 AM
I get on the water six days a week in the months of Sept., Oct., March, April, and most of May. Despite my outward appearance, it is what keeps me young.

AngryScientist
11-10-2018, 10:14 AM
good topic!

i rowed in college also, but havent been in a proper boat in over a decade myself.

the boats are just way too expensive and i'd have no place to keep it, but there is a local club that i pass by often and think about joining....

hmmm

AngryScientist
11-10-2018, 10:15 AM
I get on the water six days a week in the months of Sept., Oct., March, April, and most of May. Despite my outward appearance, it is what keeps me young.

do you row your own? where is "the water" for you?

redir
11-10-2018, 12:16 PM
I've got a Laser and and a pocket yacht called a Voyager, I have not sailed the Laser in a couple years though and really should just get rid of it. Anyone interested? :D

There are a few lakes in the area that I go to. So mostly lake sailing for me.

OtayBW
11-10-2018, 12:29 PM
Four season, open water kayaking here....

merckx
11-10-2018, 12:51 PM
do you row your own? where is "the water" for you?

I drive a launch that I use to follow my team around. I am a collegiate rowing coach. I ride my bicycle for fitness, but don't tell anyone I said that.

gdw
11-10-2018, 01:32 PM
Does this count? Drift boats and white water are a fun combination.

pdmtong
11-10-2018, 03:29 PM
Row? that must be an east coast thing.

Think SUP.

Polyglot
11-10-2018, 03:59 PM
Everybody in my family has rowed at one time or another. My mother still goes to the Masters' world championships most years where she races in the 80+ age bracket. She has been rowing for more than 70 years and still gets out 3 days a week in Victoria Canada. They have a very active seniors program at her club. She can still outrow people half her age.

Louis
11-10-2018, 05:05 PM
Everybody in my family has rowed at one time or another. My mother still goes to the Masters' world championships most years where she races in the 80+ age bracket. She has been rowing for more than 70 years and still gets out 3 days a week in Victoria Canada. They have a very active seniors program at her club. She can still outrow people half her age.

That's awesome. Do you ever go on bike rides with her? I think it would be so cool to be able to do some nice rides with an elderly parent.

Dino Suegiù
11-10-2018, 05:28 PM
As often as possible. It is great.

I've got a Laser and and a pocket yacht called a Voyager, I have not sailed the Laser in a couple years though

There are a few lakes in the area that I go to. So mostly lake sailing for me.
Lasers are fantastic, really great. My cousin was an age-group national champion and almost-Olympian. Going out with him was always so much fun; the speed was incredible. And, throw it on the roof, drive, sail all afternoon, so easy.

Not to the University of Washington, Berkeley, Wisconsin.
Half the crews that row Henley and "The Boat Race" seem to come from there.
There must be many rowers of all skill levels especially around Seattle and San Francisco, as well as Great Lakes.

redir
11-10-2018, 05:39 PM
As often as possible. It is great.

Lasers are fantastic, really great. My cousin was an age-group national champion and almost-Olympian. Going out with him was always so much fun; the speed was incredible. And, throw it on the roof, drive, sail all afternoon, so easy.

Not to the University of Washington, Berkeley, Wisconsin.
Half the crews that row Henley and "The Boat Race" seem to come from there.
There must be many rowers of all skill levels especially around Seattle and San Francisco, as well as Great Lakes.

Lasers are fun to sail for sure. I raced them for a short while but was never any good at it. But yeah with a good wind you can really drive one of those.

Here she is under light winds:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/LRxVVXJbz4IbdMT1fppTN85zBIPAycEF7VYFgx2x1CEJXHT5uf Iwht5SXK-EnWPso6PAGFhOxHLdY6jQWyJt3cOHqmkzKtFZ2-3nNLnkjfCXg2qlWEPF00UTOdU4IhrwS_kUYuGDxZR6MuVzarFI AebATE69khwiKjBCsPs5kFyRsdhX98FNdEHLaH3joQrlraemzn bkizJbKCeYtu4ynfByNbo1ct2THNzCDZTN9aWlKUxXgJYvw_im b8pemK9tn0hkfxStkzjME9CJq4rfkUruTryP0fy1rnsl24CZCV dnXNfwNkLNnzwrrwW0T_huPC6KHP52NSn7Eh8cAVbK5oyaXXyt LNaBZ4kqNSSHSpeDxcpf5W8zMAg4geJMeh70epsDBp2sbmEgbm zkNv07Ahx5pc_7k57wbVN4uciRmyUHxylRyG-UfOtvkO21fw7sQDmSQOPlW_uLma-Lf63emCW97iNR030HB1id7IELNuNNPAxUD1L3-v5SmvHBlLZRKIYAs4LrWGkUf34-tpShCKKr45le4VhPis3QqDXHvCAjapWALRcAB2wjj3MX7QODuu D1cW6cW5VwToMOlPVqSkjZsbIDIANKsKxDGn9Uc9Ky023A_n3i Ug91Ot_zQtiz6SWbNqe3Hexxv99IRC5WPU9erYcmchjca9EGfd weP0FE=w928-h528-no

And this is the Wee One.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/cCMdzFGvYZa3CzGMdmVBrXMZ_M4CRsgyzc7TxRhvuZ8qxc7Sat 98rPbiSAbI88tK6ZVpSuFNHhCpwX2DxRJJwOBEPtKKbGa4uNUk 3ebwWR8aKdDkFIgq-Z6UcsHFragNjpHVs0QwIin5IF2A0tRBfDK2-wuKc57nZ1u4c8oL0kgBgQtpN-iJL3toWlY77GaaS3OhfUgU8RcK4rwwMJkovtGYbIfmRq2NXtHg bxO5HZW1Hftr0by2Ul39fsmoOJERrO5sW7OUIEqsT5u4eyaNaS QDB45_ON5THtUjom3nzKaQXFe5KnvQL3geqrPMW75u7TgY4sD2 1iLuSchnBlO0w4f0KVKxVz0Nd4RB7EMKds9f1ShycUHdOxRb0o O1FdCllWZgoGmBSQllwq95g9LUYO2R22bs6KHa0FWWumXHs3aj PPKZIJ3gtIp6HzeR9b-LNXm1QQ8FhUWZDqwzwSgHAmVvhvBEWQu2y9o7JKuouc3IAsxRu 1DMAC5Nm0-3Nl53eQFO_QmdcJIBx33extBS3Dn0u2Va64pwMCnC1M8_mHrkq UAG5QlzKMyLY_z-G68b6wE8ArNdwLFfYLwYcpfARh0NO5Y-oj0Q92wUVxVAfa9io3NWrgC0Q5xkUBSBpszKKZ1-1qEZgZ7d9kLolN0sm-zt9gki-41pUFJW_5eFxpky=w1280-h722-no

Polyglot
11-10-2018, 06:12 PM
That's awesome. Do you ever go on bike rides with her? I think it would be so cool to be able to do some nice rides with an elderly parent.

I don't presently live anywhere near my mother, but that last time she came for a visit we went for a tandem ride together.

happycampyer
11-10-2018, 07:53 PM

Think SUP.Don’t tell that to Cal:

https://calcrew.com/about-cal-rowing/

Cal has remained on top of collegiate rowing since its inception in 1868. Listed as the first sport ever at Cal, it is the oldest and one of the most accomplished programs at the University. The Cal program is the only one in the world to have three Olympic gold medal winning crews: 1928, 1932, 1948.

or Washington:

https://washingtonrowing.com/about/

Rowing is one of the oldest sports at the University of Washington. It began in 1899 with support from the local business community. In 1903, Washington entered its first intercollegiate race and defeated California, which started the storied rivalry. From this beginning, UW crews became the champions in the nation, winning the Gold Medal in the Olympics in 1936, as told in the #1 New York Times–bestselling story, The Boys in the Boat.

jamesau
11-10-2018, 08:30 PM
who here gets out on the water, and if so, where and how?

Like Polyglot, it runs in the family. I get out on the water maybe 2x per year when visiting the relations. Typically, it's in a (private) single on a quiet lake in ME or a (club) quad in Oyster Bay, NY. I haven't touched a sweep oar in decades.

The grace and simplicity of rowing is akin to cycling, as is the timeless form of the instrument used. In both cases, resistance trainers provide a similar workout, but none of the joy.

d_douglas
11-10-2018, 08:53 PM

That’s hilarious! My late Father-in-Law started the elite rowing program in Victoria and I bet they knew each other. He is a gold medallist.

I’ve never been in a boat once - stupid for a person who has that connection to rowing in this community. I’ve talked about it since I met me wife, but never done it.

Louis
11-11-2018, 02:46 AM
In both cases, resistance trainers provide a similar workout, but none of the joy.

Maybe because I'm not an otw rower I find the erg to not be as bad as riding a trainer indoors - I don't have anything to compare it to. Plus, because you really have to give it your full attention for every single stroke if you want to maintain a challenging pace, it isn't as mind-numbingly boring as riding a trainer. Obviously exercising outdoors is best, but riding and rowing are tough over the winter, and my knees don't allow me to run, so at this time of year the erg's my pain-machine of choice. The fact that it's an awesome full-body workout is another reason to do it too.

I've also considered getting a ski-erg, but lately I've been exercising at a gym, not at home, so I haven't taken the plunge.

Polyglot
11-11-2018, 04:01 AM
That’s hilarious! My late Father-in-Law started the elite rowing program in Victoria and I bet they knew each other. He is a gold medallist.

I’ve never been in a boat once - stupid for a person who has that connection to rowing in this community. I’ve talked about it since I met me wife, but never done it.

My mum has been rowing at Elk lake since the late 80's, so I would expect that they knew each other. Before that she rowed for about 20 years at the Ottawa Rowing club, as well as Rowing Club of Point Marly (Paris). When growing up she rowed in the Netherlands. Her elder brother still rows too and they used to pair up for the Masters' world championships. My uncle decided to stop racing just before his 85th birthday.